Author Topic: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread  (Read 168779 times)

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Re: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread
« Reply #1225: November 04, 2012, 09:02:38 PM »
With Jackson leaving (I'm assuming), where does that leave us with pitching options?

We have Lannan and Garcia (pfft) internally. Who could we trade for or otherwise sign? E.g. Lincecum as Slate stated.

Though really it seems a bit early to talk about it! But I guess not.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1226: November 04, 2012, 09:06:51 PM »
Lannan isn't going to be brought back on his arbitration price tag... somewhere north of $5 million. I figure he'll be traded soon or non-tendered.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1227: November 04, 2012, 09:10:12 PM »
Lannan isn't going to be brought back on his arbitration price tag... somewhere north of $5 million. I figure he'll be traded soon or non-tendered.

Not saying he'd be brought back, and I agree with you - I think he's gone.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #1228: November 04, 2012, 10:02:18 PM »
Nice change to the avatar lo.  :lol:

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #1229: November 04, 2012, 10:18:53 PM »
With Jackson leaving (I'm assuming), where does that leave us with pitching options?

We have Lannan and Garcia (pfft) internally. Who could we trade for or otherwise sign? E.g. Lincecum as Slate stated.

I've been thinking about that. Lannan is gone. I think they'll probably sign someone. Just a matter of who. There are quite a few options.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #1230: November 04, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »

A lot of the best moves are made in November.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1231: November 04, 2012, 11:43:16 PM »

:P We'll I'm new to this so I'm happy to learn. But all it seems like right now is a bunch of fan shopping lists rather than actual discussion.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #1232: November 04, 2012, 11:50:32 PM »
I think in November of 2007, the Rays traded Delmon Young and Jason Pridie for Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett.  Both Bartlett and Garza were key pieces for them the following season, when they made the playoffs for the first time ever.  Garza won game 7 of the ALCS.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #1233: November 05, 2012, 12:08:32 AM »

Last season papelbon and broxton signed in November.  Philly really ambushed the market by signing papelbon to such a big deal so soon into free agency.  It was also in November that it was reported that we had "serious interest" in prince fielder. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1234: November 05, 2012, 06:05:56 AM »
Trade for Lincecum

$20 million is a lot for a long reliever

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1235: November 05, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
$20 million is a lot for a long reliever

He can be our number 5. We'd get him for nothing. Who knows, maybe he figures it out. Oh and we'd get so.e great playoff experience.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #1236: November 05, 2012, 10:32:49 AM »

I'm really excited about Garcia being in the 2013 bullpen. Let's get another starter to get some leads for Christian to preserve.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1237: November 05, 2012, 10:33:51 AM »
We need to sign another starting pitcher if we're parting ways with Ejax.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1238: November 05, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »
Yeah Garcia in the bullpen :az:
We need to sign another starting pitcher if we're parting ways with Ejax.
Yeah, I am just wondering who we could get.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1239: November 05, 2012, 12:13:38 PM »
Besides the obvious 4 (greinke, haren, Sanchez, and E-Jax, there are a group of guys who could be back end of the rotation (or better if healthy), one of whom may misgauge the market and be around in January or Febraury.  Scott Baker on injury recovery? Brandon McCarthy? Carlos Villanueva?   John Lannan is in this group. 

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1240: November 05, 2012, 12:40:24 PM »
Besides the obvious 4 (greinke, haren, Sanchez, and E-Jax, there are a group of guys who could be back end of the rotation (or better if healthy), one of whom may misgauge the market and be around in January or Febraury.  Scott Baker on injury recovery? Brandon McCarthy? Carlos Villanueva?   John Lannan is in this group.

Agreed here.  I like McCarthy, not to big on Baker and if you don't sign one of the big four or get someone through trade, might as well stick with Lannan.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #1241: November 05, 2012, 12:51:03 PM »
Interesting article from Dave Cameron on Dan Haren and potential injury problems.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/dan-harens-health-and-what-we-dont-know/

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1242: November 05, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »

Right now, Strasburg, Gio, and Zimmermann are players I'd want on a post season rotation. The question is whether or not Detwiler belongs in that group, if he does, is a pitcher who wouldn't be on the post season roster worth what Jackson would have made if he took the qualifying offer? If not, then maybe they go after that group, but bringing in a Greinke seems like tying up a lot of money in a position we don't need to upgrade

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1243: November 05, 2012, 01:04:14 PM »
Right now, Strasburg, Gio, and Zimmermann are players I'd want on a post season rotation. The question is whether or not Detwiler belongs in that group, if he does, is a pitcher who wouldn't be on the post season roster worth what Jackson would have made if he took the qualifying offer? If not, then maybe they go after that group, but bringing in a Greinke seems like tying up a lot of money in a position we don't need to upgrade

Getting Grienke would just be awesome only in that our starters probably could go down in history as being the best rotation in baseball.  That being said, the Nats would have to offer the moon because the Angels, Dodgers, Rangers and maybe Red Sox will certainly offer the moon.  Unless you believe Joe Maddon, I would say players probably would like to come to DC to play on a perennial contender.  Maybe Grienke thinks he would be closer to a ring by coming here over the other teams?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1244: November 05, 2012, 01:09:07 PM »
Getting Grienke would just be awesome only in that our starters probably could go down in history as being the best rotation in baseball.  That being said, the Nats would have to offer the moon because the Angels, Dodgers, Rangers and maybe Red Sox will certainly offer the moon.  Unless you believe Joe Maddon, I would say players probably would like to come to DC to play on a perennial contender.  Maybe Grienke thinks he would be closer to a ring by coming here over the other teams?

I'd rather extend Zimmermann, Desmond, and get a few relievers for the same price as greinke

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #1245: November 05, 2012, 01:12:45 PM »
Getting Grienke would just be awesome only in that our starters probably could go down in history as being the best rotation in baseball. 

:crackup:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1246: November 05, 2012, 01:30:31 PM »
"Besides the obvious 4 (greinke, haren, Sanchez, and E-Jax, there are a group of guys who could be back end of the rotation (or better if healthy), one of whom may misgauge the market and be around in January or February.  Scott Baker on injury recovery? Brandon McCarthy? Carlos Villanueva?   John Lannan is in this group. "

I forgot Shaun Marcum, too.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1247: November 05, 2012, 01:39:10 PM »
I've been thinking about that. Lannan is gone. I think they'll probably sign someone. Just a matter of who. There are quite a few options.

I'd take Lannan at $5m before Jackson at $13m.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1248: November 05, 2012, 01:42:03 PM »
Interesting article from Dave Cameron on Dan Haren and potential injury problems.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/dan-harens-health-and-what-we-dont-know/

A few more comments by Colin Wyers written for the Marmol trade, if it had happened.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=18829

This shouldn’t be confused with the last time Jerry Dipoto traded Dan Haren; he’s no longer the pitcher he once was, and he’s coming off the worst season of at least 100 innings of his career. More disconcerting, Haren lost nearly 20 games in 2012 to lower back problems.

That said, even if Haren just repeats his 2012 performance or backslides, he’ll be an improvement over much of what the Cubs ran out last season. Chicago’s pitching staff in 2012 was a reenactment of the Charge of the Light Brigade—a bunch of young conscripts, totally unprepared, were sent out against a much better prepared force and took heavy losses as a result with little to show for it. A diminished Haren still shows good odds of improving on that.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1249: November 05, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »

Detwiller pitched like he belonged in that group most of the year and with the season on the line.  But that shouldn't stop you from getting the best option you can, presuming that doesn't keep you from addressing your other needs.  I don't think you put your roster together in the winter thinking about who you might leave off of it in October.  If you've got all 5 of those guys on your roster, chances all 5 will have a role in the post season if they're healthy and the team is fortunate enough to be in the post season (and  team with that rotation should be in the post season).