Author Topic: Nationals @ Angels, Game 1  (Read 26495 times)

Offline aussienatsfan

Re: Nationals @ Angels, Game 1
« Reply #900: June 28, 2011, 01:32:36 AM »
the team has been struggling offensively for long stretches in the past week or so and still winning ball games, we had no right to be in this one tonight and almost snatched a W.. i am not concerned with anything long term other than Werth - I am optimstic and think we are moving in the right direction.

J. Zim looks like a good number 2/3 pitcher, we are really just missing that ace that strikes fear into teams - and he will be back in the long-term.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #901: June 28, 2011, 01:36:17 AM »
Why have Sean Burnett going up against righty after righty after righty?  What other manager does that?
Remember last year when Burnett started off owning righties? It's not like he is instantly dead against righties. Who did you want to throw there instead? Coffey? Maybe, but he hasn't exactly looked shutdown lately. Clippard? Overworked and you need him to close without Storen. Keep H-Rod in? Probably not a good idea. Balester? Decent argument there.

...and why put Stairs in the starting lineup?
Any more I blame Stairs on the front office wanting him playing.

...and why leave Lannan in when he was clearly struggling?
You can't just run and grab the bullpen without a second thought after 5 IP when the starter has only give up 2 ER, especially when your closer is gone for the day leaving you with a short handed pen.

...and why use Rodriguez in this situation?
How many runs did he give up?

Why are you (and others) so willing to accept bad decision making as no big deal?
Go bust your head against a concrete wall. It'll make you forget about the game.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #902: June 28, 2011, 01:38:22 AM »
Smithian:Davey Johnson::Strasburg37:Riggleman

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #903: June 28, 2011, 01:39:08 AM »
Why are you (and others) so willing to accept bad decision making as no big deal?

I'm not accepting his bad decisions. I know those decisions were awful. I just know that I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that its his first time with the team. I'm not sure if you are doing the same or you are just out to root against him. That's aside the point. I am going to continue to judge his managerial skills with this team as the season goes on. I want to hope that tonight is that beginner thing.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #904: June 28, 2011, 01:40:19 AM »
Smithian:Davey Johnson::Strasburg37:Riggleman
Not really.

Just annoys me after one game in 162 people are going crazy saying Davey Johnson sucks. It's not like he bunting people from 2nd to 3rd, letting Lannan pitch with 6 or 7 ERs already, etc, etc. We lost by 1. Boo hoo. It happens.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #905: June 28, 2011, 01:40:35 AM »
Look, I'm not going to keep whining and whining about tonight, nor will I rush to conclusions about Davey Johnson, but it freaking baffles me that people are so *stunned* that people would dare be negative in a game day thread for a game that was a close, frustrating LOSS.

Really?  That doesn't make sense to you?  You think that's uncalled for?

I'm amazed at your amazement, people.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #906: June 28, 2011, 01:44:35 AM »
I'm amazed at your amazement, people.

You guys both make it seem like you've never been on a message board before.

There will be those who will complain about anything then there will be those that complain about those that complain.

My recent discovery are the reactions that people will have here when our winning team loses games.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #907: June 28, 2011, 01:46:22 AM »

Offline ghostface

« Reply #908: June 28, 2011, 01:47:56 AM »
Not really.

Just annoys me after one game in 162 people are going crazy saying Davey Johnson sucks. It's not like he bunting people from 2nd to 3rd, letting Lannan pitch with 6 or 7 ERs already, etc, etc. We lost by 1. Boo hoo. It happens.

you're actually being more dramatic than the people complaining about his game managment tonight.  i see a bunch of posters saying he sucked tonight - which he did.  i haven't read any posts saying Johnson is going to fail in the long run. 

Offline PC

« Reply #909: June 28, 2011, 01:50:00 AM »
Balestar would have been the better option.  2011 Burnett isn't 2010 Burnett.  You can't use him like you did last year.

I don't know which is worse, Johnson using Stairs because he's being forced to or because he thinks he's good.  Either way, it makes me more pessimistic about Johnson's tenure here.

And you can lose a game in the 5th just as easily as you can in the 9th.  If you go to the bullpen early because your starter is performing badly and you lose the game late then you lose the game late as opposed to losing the game early.  You stop the bleeding when the bleeding is happening.  You don't get bonus points for having extra relievers for the 10th or 11th inning because if you lose the game early the 10th and 11th innings never happen.

That fact that Rodriguez didn't give up runs doesn't make the use of him in that situation a good one.  Making the right decisions doesn't always end in a good result but sometimes making the wrong decision does.  He was used for 2.1 innings which means he had to come out to the mound three separate times.  That's more than he's ever been used and it's a lot for the kind of pitcher he is.

Queston, do you agree with Johnson's decision making tonight?

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #910: June 28, 2011, 01:53:10 AM »
Queston, do you agree with Johnson's decision making tonight?

No, but it doesn't mean i am giving up on him either

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #911: June 28, 2011, 02:59:33 AM »
Um, according to the box score, Brian Bixler DH'd?

I'm much more concerned that our outfield went something like 0-for-13. That's the real problem.

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
« Reply #912: June 28, 2011, 03:29:21 AM »
Um, according to the box score, Brian Bixler DH'd?

I'm much more concerned that our outfield went something like 0-for-13. That's the real problem.

Bixler PH for Stairs late in the game. Werth was terrible, Bernie hit two balls really well, one almost for a two run shot, Nix was Nix, hit a couple and whiffed a lot.

Offline ernie0326

« Reply #913: June 28, 2011, 04:42:55 AM »
 :couch:

Offline ernie0326

« Reply #914: June 28, 2011, 05:07:26 AM »
This team can win 15 in a row.  After the next ONE RUN loss in game 16, you get this.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #915: June 28, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »
Whoa I just read the last couple of pages of this. 

The team is like 13-3 or something ridiculous recently and lost last night to an AL team on the West coast in extra innings by one run in the first game under an interim manager and with a depleted bullpen.  After tying it up in the 9th with 2 outs. 

Offline Sharp

« Reply #916: June 28, 2011, 07:26:24 AM »
Oh, Clipp had arm fatigue and wasn't available.  That makes a lot of his pitching decisions much more understandable.  I am worried about Clipp though... it may be that we didn't get Riggleman out fast enough.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #917: June 28, 2011, 08:32:29 AM »
Bixler PH for Stairs late in the game. Werth was terrible, Bernie hit two balls really well, one almost for a two run shot, Nix was Nix, hit a couple and whiffed a lot.

You know, I think Jerry needed the rest. Argh. Stop being injured, normal humans :lol:

PH'ing for Stairs makes my man-love for Davey grow.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #918: June 28, 2011, 08:38:10 AM »
Pat corrales? I love Pat Corrales!

I say Morales.   You say Corrales.   You say tomato and I say tomahto.   You say potato and I say potahto.   Let's call the whole thing off.   :)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #919: June 28, 2011, 08:40:53 AM »
I say Morales.   You say Corrales.   You say tomato and I say tomahto.   You say potato and I say potahto.   Let's call the whole thing off.   :)

:lol: He's still a badass and looks better in a uniform than Mark Lerner does.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #920: June 28, 2011, 08:43:13 AM »
:lol: He's still a badass and looks better in a uniform than Mark Lerner does.

My mistake came to me as I ran at 0300.   I said to myself, "Self, PA thinks you've lost your mind.    Better correct your error when you can."    Mea Culpa ....    BTW ... Lerner in a uniform is odd.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #921: June 28, 2011, 08:52:57 AM »
Oh, Clipp had arm fatigue and wasn't available.  That makes a lot of his pitching decisions much more understandable.  I am worried about Clipp though... it may be that we didn't get Riggleman out fast enough.

That with Storen unavailable basically hamstrung Davey his first day.  No worries.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #922: June 28, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »
Zimm is ready to go on a tear, maybe that will help Werth see some better pitches.
We have 9 home games leading up to the all-star break. That is the time we find out if this team is a legit contender or not.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #923: June 28, 2011, 09:37:58 AM »
The biggest mistake for me was leaving Lannan in too long.  It was obvious to me he didn't have his stuff.  I heard Davey likes to leave his starters in longer than most managers.  I also disliked Matt Stairs in the line-up - he seems Werthless to me.   It was only game no. one for Johnson.  It's not fair to judge him yet.  However, if the team starts losing....... :bang:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #924: June 28, 2011, 10:31:55 AM »
The biggest mistake for me was leaving Lannan in too long.  It was obvious to me he didn't have his stuff.  I heard Davey likes to leave his starters in longer than most managers.  I also disliked Matt Stairs in the line-up - he seems Werthless to me.   It was only game no. one for Johnson.  It's not fair to judge him yet.  However, if the team starts losing....... :bang:

Bullpen was very thin with Clippard ailing and Storen out, hence the need to get more out of Lannan. 

Nobody like Stairs in the lineup, but maybe they feel they owe him one last chance to perform as a prelude to his impending release.