Author Topic: The Weather (2013)  (Read 8234 times)

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
Re: The Weather (2013)
« Reply #25: October 13, 2013, 05:49:19 PM »
Directv satellite craps out more than I like when we get a batcrap storm, but I LOVE the HD on our good TV. Looks like you could reach out and touch the people on the screen.  :shock:

I think that is the acid     :lol:

I like my directv if not only for the NFL Ticket.  I rarely lose signal even during the recent rain storms.  Cable is cable to me.  I guess customer service could be different but to this point I've not had a reason to call anyone.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #26: October 13, 2013, 07:49:07 PM »
We've been fortunate with our DirecTV. It's went out on us a few times but for the most part, it's been great. We keep a few things unwatched on the DVR just in case.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #27: October 13, 2013, 08:25:35 PM »
Had DirectTV for a few years for the football package.    Rain, snow, etc. always broke up the picture.   Have been on FIOS for several years and am thinking about getting Xfinity for the introductory price.   I can't believe I'm paying this much for any TV programming.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #28: October 13, 2013, 10:19:30 PM »
Had DirectTV for a few years for the football package.    Rain, snow, etc. always broke up the picture.   Have been on FIOS for several years and am thinking about getting Xfinity for the introductory price.   I can't believe I'm paying this much for any TV programming.

FiOS w/ Red Zone > DirecTV with football package.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #29: October 13, 2013, 10:39:58 PM »
FiOS w/ Red Zone > DirecTV with football package.

How is seeing random shots of a game better than seeing your favorite teams entire game??

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #30: October 14, 2013, 12:11:44 AM »
Is it over yet?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #31: October 14, 2013, 12:18:54 AM »
So does fios require a receiver for every TV in the house? 

Online imref

« Reply #32: October 14, 2013, 08:14:13 AM »
So does fios require a receiver for every TV in the house? 

They do support cable card, so that's an option if your TV supports it.   I have two DVRs with the multi-room DVR feature so I can watch anything recorded on either DVR on either TV.

Online imref

« Reply #33: October 14, 2013, 08:14:32 AM »
How is seeing random shots of a game better than seeing your favorite teams entire game??

I'm a Giants fan, I don't wish to see any of their games.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #34: November 12, 2013, 09:58:21 PM »
It is snowing here. Snow in Columbia, South Carolina in November? Unpossible. And it was sixty degrees this afternoon! Obviously Al Gore's fault.

Online imref

« Reply #35: November 22, 2013, 03:32:09 PM »
N'or easter tuesday-wednesday, lots of uncertainty on the rain/snow line but best guess seems to be lots of rain for the I-95 corridor and snow in the west.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/11/22/devil-in-details-for-thanksgiving-week-east-coast-storm-primed-to-pester-travelers/

Offline mitlen

« Reply #36: November 22, 2013, 03:45:39 PM »
N'or easter tuesday-wednesday, lots of uncertainty on the rain/snow line but best guess seems to be lots of rain for the I-95 corridor and snow in the west.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/11/22/devil-in-details-for-thanksgiving-week-east-coast-storm-primed-to-pester-travelers/

Damn, I wanna go golfing Wednesday.

Online imref

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #38: November 25, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
Where do you golf ?

Damn, I wanna go golfing Wednesday.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #39: November 25, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »
Where do you golf ?

I try to hit the public links in the Eastern Loudoun (occasionally Poolesville or such in Montgomery CO).    I pretty much suck so I try to play where ever they let me on.      :)

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #40: November 26, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »
When we were in DC, I liked Poolesville and Falls Road in Potomac.  Now we live on a golf course in OBX - http://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/The-Currituck-Club.  You're welcome to come try it anytime

I try to hit the public links in the Eastern Loudoun (occasionally Poolesville or such in Montgomery CO).    I pretty much suck so I try to play where ever they let me on.      :)

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #41: November 26, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
When we were in DC, I liked Poolesville and Falls Road in Potomac.  Now we live on a golf course in OBX - http://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/The-Currituck-Club.  You're welcome to come try it anytime

Don't you live in one big sand trap?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #42: November 26, 2013, 08:50:15 PM »
Golf clubs & golf balls are not allowed on the beach.

There's lots of grass, trees, etc in OBX.  But these are a lot harder to grow in a sandy environment.

Don't you live in one big sand trap?

Online imref

« Reply #43: December 03, 2013, 03:33:54 PM »
Ice storm setting up for western VA from early Sunday morning to some point Sunday evening when it changes to rain.

Online imref

« Reply #44: December 05, 2013, 03:15:25 PM »
Now looking like a pretty major winter event west of I-95 for sunday, significant snow/ice, 1-4" of snow immediately west of the district, much more further west, mixed with a lot of ice.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/12/05/legitimate-chances-for-snow-and-ice-in-d-c-region-sunday-and-sunday-night/

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #45: December 05, 2013, 03:35:44 PM »
Looking at the freezing line as it extends down beyond NoVA, it looks like what the model is showing is that the storm is trying to find out Linty's neighborhood and decided to mess with him.  It's all personal.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #46: December 05, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »
nice, off chance I get to have my idealistic trip to cut the christmas tree in the snow (now if only I can convince the wife to drive out to cut the tree instead of going to a local church and to do it in an ice storm)

Online imref

« Reply #47: December 05, 2013, 04:11:13 PM »
for those of you on facebook, wxrisk called this storm about 5 days ago, everyone is now falling into his projections.  He also nailed Sandy a year ago.

https://www.facebook.com/WxRisk

Online imref

« Reply #48: December 05, 2013, 11:23:06 PM »
The current forecast for VA/DC on Sunday.

Here is the Skinny on this Ice Storm for Sunday:

- The models - all of them are colder and they are filled with moisture (lots of precipitation). The progression will be start off with sleet then transition to freezing rain. This will be for the majority of your Sunday.

- Arrival of Precipitation - We will see the sleet begin and it may be a little freezing drizzle between 4am to 6am along the Virginia/NC boarder. From 6am to 8am for the I-64 corridor in and around Metro Richmond and Petersburg. From 8am to 10am for areas north of Richmond and northwest out to Louisa and up to Fredericksburg - kind of north of I-64.

- Immediate coastal sections of the Northern Neck, Middle Peninsula, Lower Peninsula and Tide Water will be all rain. (please see the map)

- Along I-95 and points east (in the pink on the map) including eastern Henrico, the immediate City of Richmond, and the City of Petersburg and City of Hopewell, we will see sleet for two to three hours then transititon to Freezing Rain which will last until 7p to 10p when the freezing rain will transition to rain. By the way, you will notice on the map that this area of pink extends south from Petersburg along Interstate 85 and points east.

- Areas west of I-95 (in the purple on the map) including Western Henrico County, Western Chesterfield County, the City of Ashland, Western Hanover County, Farmville, Amelia, South Hill, Danville, Louisa, Culpeper, Fredericksburg, Cumberland, Dillwyn, Charlottesville, Orange, Unionville, Powhatan, Goochland, Palmyra, Fluvanna, and all others in the purple, we will see several hours of sleet and then many hours of freezing rain. On that map you will see a white line... east of the white line your change over will be between 10pm and Midnight, while west of that white line you will not see a change-over to rain until 2am to 4am.

- Power outages will be very likely for many areas along and west of I-95 and I-85.

- The roads - will be covered in sleet, which will then solidify as the freezing rain falls, and "melts the sleet together".

- The freezing rain will cover the trees, power lines, utility poles etc in ice and weigh them down. We are anticipating nearly a 1/2" of ice in Metro Richmond and Petersburg. More ice is expected out to the west.

Online imref

« Reply #49: December 05, 2013, 11:37:16 PM »
latest from wxrisk is below.  The local weather guys aren't in sync yet with what the guys in Richmond and wxrisk are saying, but that's going to change tomorrow and mass panic will ensue.  Buy your bread and milk ASAP!

****ALERT ** ALERT ** 0Z GFS COMES IN EVEN COLDER... AGAIN!!!

big SNOW over western VA from ROA to Winchester WHICH CHANGES TO SLEET BY 1-4PM

but more importantly the new runs keep the 32 degree line very close
close to RICHMOND down to DANVILLE... THROUGH 2AM MONDAY !!!

this mean huge amounts of SLEET & FREEZING RAIN over western half of
VA through all of Sunday evening night ... AND over central MD

this is very bad if correct the ice storm would be a 4 or 5 on the SAI