Author Topic: The Mens Wear Thread  (Read 14962 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
The Mens Wear Thread
« Topic Start: January 30, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »
So, I'm looking for a nice light sport coat for the spring and summer, any suggestions?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: The Mens Wear Thread (aka "Dress to Impress")
« Reply #1: January 30, 2012, 10:13:47 AM »
I hate dressing to impress because I like to be comfortable.  I've always assumed that I've simply been too cheap to invest in comfortable nice clothes, but part of the problem is I don't even really know where to buy such things.  Anyone have any input?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: January 30, 2012, 10:14:45 AM »
Brooks brothers outlet?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #3: January 30, 2012, 10:17:19 AM »
BB or Nordstrom probably.

Joseph A Bank has the tailored fit shirts that I love, but freaking everyone shops there and I see the same shirts I bought there everywhere.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #4: January 30, 2012, 10:18:48 AM »
Brooks brothers outlet?

Thanks, I'll have to see if any of those are near me.

Joseph A Bank has the tailored fit shirts that I love, but freaking everyone shops there and I see the same shirts I bought there everywhere.

Cynical Chief says everyone looks the same in a monkeysuit anyway, so why worry if somebody else got their monkeysuit from the same store? ;)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #5: January 30, 2012, 10:23:37 AM »

Jos A. Banks is a good store if you hit the right sale.  Last year I bought 3 suits, 3 shirts, and four ties for around $1k (after paying for alterations and a permanent crease).  The deal was "buy one suit, get two suits free, plus 3 shirts."  The ties were buy one get one free.  The highest priced suit was about $800.  I'm very happy so far with the quality.  Plus now that I've shopped there once and joined their buyers program, I get frequent discount coupons in the mail ($25 off any purchase over $50 usually).

If I were just buying a single sport coat I'd probably look at Mens Warehouse.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #6: January 30, 2012, 10:24:04 AM »
What I really need are a good pair of comfortable dress shoes.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #7: January 30, 2012, 10:24:28 AM »
Brooks brothers outlet?

Do you know, offhand, if they carry talls?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #8: January 30, 2012, 10:25:51 AM »
Jos A. Banks is a good store if you hit the right sale.  Last year I bought 3 suits, 3 shirts, and four ties for around $1k (after paying for alterations and a permanent crease).  The deal was "buy one suit, get two suits free, plus 3 shirts."  The ties were buy one get one free.  The highest priced suit was about $800.  I'm very happy so far with the quality.  Plus now that I've shopped there once and joined their buyers program, I get frequent discount coupons in the mail ($25 off any purchase over $50 usually).

If I were just buying a single sport coat I'd probably look at Mens Warehouse.

Yeah, Mr. Bank is a great place to build a wardrobe quickly. That's what I did. Also, they make the only casual dress khaki that fits my build.

Cynical Chief says everyone looks the same in a monkeysuit anyway, so why worry if somebody else got their monkeysuit from the same store? ;)

Well, wearing the same suit probably wouldn't be noticeable. Wearing the same patterned dress shirt stands out a bit more.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: January 30, 2012, 10:26:06 AM »
What I really need are a good pair of comfortable dress shoes.

Bostonian's are my favorite, a bunch of places carry them

Offline imref

« Reply #10: January 30, 2012, 10:26:32 AM »
Bostonian's are my favorite, a bunch of places carry them

I like Rockports, there's a store in the Fair Oaks mall that I usually visit.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #11: January 30, 2012, 10:27:03 AM »

They make "long" sport coats.

Offline imref

« Reply #12: January 30, 2012, 10:27:04 AM »

i read that as "tails" and chucked.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #13: January 30, 2012, 10:27:56 AM »
I like Rockports, there's a store in the Fair Oaks mall that I usually visit.

If you are going for comfort only, Rockports makes the most comfy dress shoes I've bought. The pair I had were on the casual side and not that phresh but whatever.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #14: January 30, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »
I'm a total shoe whore/snob (hopefully MrsMorse don't come on here and expose my total shoe count) and have totally fallen in love with the Cole Haans with Nike Air technology.  Those are on the high end of the low end of dress shoes (i.e. the sub-$200 range) and are great if you're not looking to make a serious investment in a pair of dress shoes.  Eccos are great too for a sub $200 dress shoe.

My favourite shoes (and what I plan on buying in the fall once I'm down another 50lbs or so) are these by George Cleverley:

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #15: January 30, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »
Does anyone have problems with loafers? I've had a couple pairs (a cheap pair and a pair of AEs) and both pairs freaked up my legs and feet. I can't wear my AEs on days after I run because I'll injure my legs.

I'd like to find a pair that don't kill my feet, but I'm worried about investing more money.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #16: January 30, 2012, 10:42:58 AM »
Chief - just one thing to remember when it comes to dress shoes - you want to get a shoe that fits your style and budget but that's as good of a leather as you can get.  It's better to have one really good pair of dress shoes that cost $500 instead of three pairs of $120.  The leather will last long, breath better, look better, and fit better as well.  You don't have to go over the top and drop $1000 on a pair of, say, Edward Greens, but don't cheap out either, unless you have to.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #17: January 30, 2012, 10:46:06 AM »
chucks and trackies cos it's monday.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #18: January 30, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »

Funny you should say that.  I bought two pairs of Chucks this weekend on deep discount from DSW for bike commuting.  Easier to get in and out of the cages, doesn't hit my pannier, and looks stylish with my monkey suit.

Chucks are great with jeans and a sport coat as well.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #19: January 30, 2012, 10:54:02 AM »

you dressed up!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: The Mens Wear Thread
« Reply #20: January 30, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »
That's not completely true.  I wear "Dressports", which is the Rockport line of dress shoes.  I get them resoled every 2 years of so.

If you are going for comfort only, Rockports makes the most comfy dress shoes I've bought. The pair I had were on the casual side and not that phresh but whatever.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #21: January 30, 2012, 11:56:38 AM »
I've had good luck there as well - after Christmas and after Father's Day.

Offline imref

« Reply #22: January 30, 2012, 12:04:05 PM »
That's not completely true.  I wear "Dressports", which is the Rockport line of dress shoes.  I get them resoled every 2 years of so.

these are my staple:

http://www.shoebuy.com/rockport-dressports-tw-wingtip/463010/981085?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla-_-none-_-none-_-%7Bkeyword%7D

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #23: January 30, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »
How breathable is the Rockport leather?  Not to sound like a shoe snob, but the lower quality leathers often aren't very breathable and get the dreaded "smell".

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #24: January 30, 2012, 12:13:55 PM »

Just posting what the pair I had was like, good to know they have a higher quality line to check out.