Author Topic: Experience or talent?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Experience or talent?
« Reply #25: October 13, 2012, 04:10:34 PM »
They aren't, but they're probably in the top 5, and the age would have to be markedly lower than the figure ESPN gave.

The youngest team in baseball line was intentionally misleading. Just proving it's not the case.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #26: October 13, 2012, 04:11:51 PM »
True, and it's really irrelevant anyway.  Experience is what counts, and like someone else said, the Giants' pitchers weren't experienced in the postseason when they won it all.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #27: October 13, 2012, 04:13:47 PM »
Frankly, it depends on who wins.  If the inexperienced team wins, it comes down to talent.  If the experienced team wins it comes down to experience.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #28: October 13, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »
Frankly, it depends on who wins.  If the inexperienced team wins, it comes down to talent.  If the experienced team wins it comes down to experience.

I was a huge edmonton oilers fan back in the 80's, I remember when arguably the most talented club in hockey history got their heads handed to them by an older, more experienced NY Islanders team in Edmonton's first trip to the finals (it was the Islanders' 4th straight trip).  That team needed to lose on that stage to learn how to win, and they came back to win four of the next five championships.  Hopefully a similar scenario is in our future

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #29: October 13, 2012, 04:48:46 PM »

:lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #30: October 13, 2012, 05:21:59 PM »
Except all those teams lacked experience when they were first won

Giants, for the most part, yes, but a number of the Cards had been in the 2004 and 2006 world series when they won in 2011 (Carpenter, I think Wainright, Pujols, Molina I think, probably more).

Edit - BTW - I'm only referring to the teams that won recently.  As for the 1996 NYY, they had almost all gone to the playoffs in 1995, other than Jeter. Joe G was the main catcher, Tino went with the Mariners, Rivera I think was a rookie but a set up guy. . .

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #31: October 13, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »
Edit - BTW - I'm only referring to the teams that won recently.  As for the 1996 NYY, they had almost all gone to the playoffs in 1995, other than Jeter. Joe G was the main catcher, Tino went with the Mariners, Rivera I think was a rookie but a set up guy. . .
What about Pettite?

Offline johnsk54

« Reply #32: October 13, 2012, 06:07:56 PM »
Experience wasn't the problem, not throwing strikes was.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #33: October 13, 2012, 06:16:28 PM »
OK, not the youngest, which I thought I had heard. But they are very young, which is the point.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #34: October 13, 2012, 06:31:58 PM »
GMU - Pettite was a big piece that series, but I think he was 3d starter on that staff.  he won some huge games, IIRC, in the world series. 

You can say a rookie shortstop, a rookie big rotation piece, and a sensational set up man.  I'm not sure about Bernie.  But the bulk of the position regulars, and the other rotation pieces, all had playoff experience, plus I think the closer.

« Reply #35: October 13, 2012, 06:41:59 PM »
Stupid Manager.  Davey was out managed by a rookie manager.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #36: October 13, 2012, 08:21:58 PM »
Both.  We played like the weak-willed kids we were all year.  No pressure during the regular season until the end when we actually came close to losing the division lead and then we folded when we played a team who had been there before.

We pitched scared, we fielded scared and for the most part we hit scared. 

Our guys were weak.