Author Topic: Posting a chart  (Read 2589 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Posting a chart
« Topic Start: May 24, 2007, 11:31:26 AM »
Chief, Ken, anybody...

I am interested in posting a graph / chart, that I would typically create in Excel initially.  Perhaps these can then be carved off from the rest of the spreadsheet and data, and saved in a format that can be uploaded like a picture here.

Any thoughts on how this can be achieved? 

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Re: Posting a chart
« Reply #1: May 24, 2007, 03:06:19 PM »
Well, I know you can create a chart on the forum using the table features, used to create the Gameday threads.  As far as an Excel-based chart, or something you could paste on, I have no idea.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #2: May 24, 2007, 03:39:49 PM »
The best way to get a chart from Excel into a message (so that it looks the same as shown in Excel), is to do a Ctrl-C (to copy the chart from inside Excel, then open whatever paint program (Paintshop Pro or Photoshop) you prefer to use, then, once open, simple Paste (Ctrl-V) the chart. Both Paintshop Pro and Photoshop will ask you to input the dimensions you want, and in most cases will default to the size you saw inside Excel. Once the image in in place, from the File menu, select "Save As" and choose an image format that's compatible to those allowed in the forum, (GIF, JPG and PNG)

Once you have the saved image, you can import it into a message just as you would any other.

NOTE in saving as JPG: Save with "Chroma Subsampling"s set to "YCbCr 1x1 1x1 1x1 (None)" to reduce the amount of noise. (this is usually found by clicking Options in the save as window that appears)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: May 24, 2007, 03:41:45 PM »
Ah, a photo processing software, ok, that's something to try.  The key I guess is something that will allow a file save to one of the 3 permitted formats, which Excel does not.  Back to the drawing board.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: May 24, 2007, 03:51:11 PM »
Testing one, two, three

EDIT:  Guess it worked!  "Paint" was the software that worked for me.  Never could find how to do it in Adobe Photoshop, but no matter.  Anyway, from time to time I have wanted to present ideas in graphical format, so here's my first test case.

Below is a line graph showing game by game, how many games the Nats have been over or under .500 since inception, all 3 seasons to date shown.  Not sure what anybody can do with such a thing, but I like seeing data presented in this fashion.  Maybe some other folks do too.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #5: May 24, 2007, 03:53:39 PM »
It looks like you aced the test to me...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: May 24, 2007, 03:59:31 PM »
I went back and formatted the lines to be bolder.  Note how right now, we are exactly where we were in 2006.  Scary how similar the two years are.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #7: May 24, 2007, 04:13:35 PM »
Kind of scary when the graphics demonstrate performance. I'm hoping that 2008, with an infusion of $$ will be back above the .500 line.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #8: May 24, 2007, 04:14:40 PM »
Yea, I know. Right now the Nats are 6 games behind their 2005 pace, even with 2004 and 2006, and six games ahead of the records both the 62 Mets and 2003 Tigers had after the same number of games...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: May 24, 2007, 04:27:31 PM »
Yea, I know. Right now the Nats are 6 games behind their 2005 pace, even with 2004 and 2006, and six games ahead of the records both the 62 Mets and 2003 Tigers had after the same number of games...

You've just suggested my next project.  It's time consuming however, to download the records of past years, let alone even find them.  To do this, I downloaded a text file into excel, parsed the columns to segregate the scores, did a lot of sorting, concatenating, deleting, and some IF statements, in order to get the data boiled down to something that could be graphed.

But I think folks would like to see how we stack up vs. those old horror stories of the past.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #10: May 24, 2007, 05:25:05 PM »
Man, we got close to .500 around the 61-game mark last year.