Author Topic: Clint Everts  (Read 4619 times)

Offline Section214

Clint Everts
« Topic Start: June 18, 2009, 01:05:38 AM »
Clint Everts is a guy that has really struggled in his time in the minors with this organization but people forget that he was a first round pick in 2002. He is 24 years old and may have really found his niche in the bullpen.

In 13 games pitched he went 20 innings with a .90 ERA and 26 K's coming out of the pen in Potomac. Saving both of his chances there.

He was recently called up to Harrisburg and he has gone out and thrown in 4 games with 6 innings pitched and an ERA of 0.00. Saving his one and only opportunity.

All together he is 3-0 with 3 saves and a 0.69 ERA in 26 IP. He is not closing, he is not starting but if he continues to go at this rate when will he get called up and earn his 1st round pick?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Clint Everts
« Reply #1: June 18, 2009, 01:24:06 AM »
It's now or never - minor league FA at the end of the season

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: June 18, 2009, 08:06:03 AM »
It is early,  but he's keeping the good K/BB ratio (5Ks, 1 BB).  If he can stay close to a K/9, I think he'd be added to the 40 man roster at the end of the year, and might even get a call up when there is a house cleaning.  2:1 ground ball / fly ratio also is nice. 

What does he profile as now, a righty match up middle reliever?  MiLB.com only has his righty / lefty splits in harrisburg, and his success is so short that I don't know if a meaningful judgment can be made on whether he can get out lefties.  Was that his problem as a starter?  Baseball-reference does not have spilts.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #3: June 18, 2009, 08:10:34 AM »
Everts has a cumulative 243 OppBA vs LH and a 191 OppBA vs RH in 2009.

He's faced 42 lefties, allowing nine hits and four walks (one intentional) while striking out eight.
He's faced 50 righties, allowing nine hits and two walks while striking out twenty.

Source

He could still be a viable RH middle relief option with an upside of a setup guy.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4: June 18, 2009, 08:52:53 AM »
Wow!  that site is great! 

Career not a significant difference RH v LH. What does he use to get his Ks and groundballs? Fangraphs (which I still cite too much) had a series of articles recently on ground ball pitchers who rely on 2 seemers, and their tendency to have big platoon splits.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/chad-jenkins

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #5: June 18, 2009, 09:05:47 AM »
OMG that is a cool site.

Offline Section214

« Reply #6: June 18, 2009, 09:30:17 AM »
Wow. I have been playing around on that site for like 30 min... It is so cool. But back to the topic, I think Everts should be on the 40 man if he keeps it up and could be a solid RH middle relief and yes, maybe even the very elusive set-up man.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #7: June 18, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »
It's now or never - minor league FA at the end of the season
He's doing the same thing Hinckley did last year.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #8: June 18, 2009, 12:12:54 PM »

How did that work out? :lol:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #9: June 18, 2009, 12:14:22 PM »
How did that work out? :lol:

It worked out with him getting DFAd by our dumbass front office even though he was pwning lefties.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #10: June 18, 2009, 12:17:06 PM »

Pretty much, only Hinckley played a season and a half at AA and then 20 games at AAA.  Everts would probably get 30 games in at AA and AAA combined if he were to get a shot at the big leagues.  If he gets to AAA and can play well there, then I would consider resigning him to a minor league deal for the next season, but I don't see him making it to Washington this season.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #11: June 19, 2009, 08:48:39 AM »
It worked out with him getting DFAd by our dumbass front office even though he was pwning lefties.

Kickass curveball, but he can't throw it for strikes.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: June 19, 2009, 09:13:24 AM »
Pretty much, only Hinckley played a season and a half at AA and then 20 games at AAA.  Everts would probably get 30 games in at AA and AAA combined if he were to get a shot at the big leagues.  If he gets to AAA and can play well there, then I would consider resigning him to a minor league deal for the next season, but I don't see him making it to Washington this season.

Wasn't part of the problem with Hinckley that they had burned all options on him?  Wasn't he added to the 40 man back around 2005, when they thought he might make the rotation and he was the best prospect in the system?  With Everts, I do not believe he was ever on the 40 man roster.  They may be able to add him and have 3 options, which would make him much more valuabel than Hinckley in terms of roster flexibility.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #13: June 19, 2009, 09:18:13 AM »
Wasn't part of the problem with Hinckley that they had burned all options on him?  Wasn't he added to the 40 man back around 2005, when they thought he might make the rotation and he was the best prospect in the system?  With Everts, I do not believe he was ever on the 40 man roster.  They may be able to add him and have 3 options, which would make him much more valuabel than Hinckley in terms of roster flexibility.

That is correct. Hinckley used up all of his options while Everts would have three (minimum) if he were added to the 40-man this year

Online blue911

« Reply #14: June 19, 2009, 09:26:14 AM »

I thought the problem with Hinckley was Manny misused him. But then again, I don't think Manny runs a pitching staff the right way to begin with.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #15: June 19, 2009, 09:35:55 AM »
That is correct. Hinckley used up all of his options while Everts would have three (minimum) if he were added to the 40-man this year

There should be a slot for him on the 40 man by the end of the season. "Should" meaning I think he should be there.

Offline Blueliner

« Reply #16: June 19, 2009, 06:53:21 PM »
This is an example of why you shouldn't take relivers high in the draft.  I know there are excepts like Chad Coredo but if a pitcher has always been a reliever, it's not likely he can become a starter.  But if a starter fails as a starter, he can become an effective reliver.

Hopefully Everts can become an effective reliver.  The Nationals sure as hell can use the help.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #17: January 31, 2010, 05:45:50 AM »
Is Everts gone now? Dude had a pretty good season last year.

I was reading this old scouting report at BA's site earlier:

Background: The fifth overall selection in 2002, Everts was an outstanding two-way player at Cypress Falls High in Houston. He and Scott Kazmir (Mets) became the first pair of pitchers from the same high school to go in the same first round, and Everts could have gone in the top three rounds purely as a shortstop. But teams focused on him as a pitcher because he had the best curveball in the draft, not to mention age, command and pitchability in his favor. He signed too late to play in 2002 and spent the fall at Baylor, where he took accounting classes and worked out with the baseball team. Everts had a brief stint in big league camp before heading to extended spring training, then made his pro debut with short-season Vermont in mid-June. The victim of tight pitch counts and poor run support, he went just 2-7 in 2003 but pitched better than his record would indicate. Promoted to low Class A Savannah on his 19th birthday, he allowed two runs or fewer in four of his five starts, but went 0-3.

Strengths: Everts is an outstanding athlete with a projectable body and the makings of three plus major league pitches. He has a solid, balanced delivery and a clean, easy arm action, which enables him to generate lightning-quick arm speed. His fastball sat at 88-92 mph with good movement in 2003, and he should increase his velocity as he adds strength to his slender frame. The development of his changeup and curveball are further along at this point. His curveball, an 80-84 mph bender with great depth and tight spin, grades as a 70 on the 20-80 scouting scale. It projects as a strikeout pitch in the majors.Everts' 78-81 mph changeup is almost as good as his curve. It's a plus pitch that he has an exceptional feel for. He didn't turn 19 until late in the season, so he's well ahead of most pitchers his age.
http://bit.ly/aGNKE8

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #18: January 31, 2010, 06:30:57 AM »
pretty sure Everts is in new york now.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #19: February 01, 2010, 05:39:57 AM »
Everts signed a minor league F/A deal with the Mets