Author Topic: No "Real" News on P-Nats Stadium. ETA 2014 or worse.  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
thanks for the update comish.  should def be fairfax imo.
Isn't Fairfax really expensive? That may be an issue trying to put it there.

When they built Arvest Ballpark for the Northwest Arkansas Naturals they put it off in a secluded area about 5 minutes off the highway and the main road. It is a few minutes from any restaurants or anything, but property prices are pretty low.

Btw, coolest minor league park is the Frisco RoughRiders. If new P-Nats park is half as cool it'd be great;

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Isn't Fairfax really expensive? That may be an issue trying to put it there.

Yes.

LOL at Fairfax or Vienna. I'm not sure where you could even put it and traffic is a nightmare without a sporting event. I'm in Oakton and I'm not sure I would want to deal with it.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
If your in Moco you can catch them when they play Frederick.  I doubt they would go outside VA.    Near Westfields and Chantilly would be great! 

Although 28 could be a nightmare.  Face it.  Traffic in this area is bad enough everywhere.  So ANYWHERE you go will be a problem.  Lower FFX is also a problem with the BRAC moves to Belvoir.

Being in Manassas I like the location!  I still dont get to many games due to my Nats schedule!

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan

Isn't that what I said?

No crap; I was responding to Coladar. :crazy:

LOL at Fairfax or Vienna. I'm not sure where you could even put it and traffic is a nightmare without a sporting event. I'm in Oakton and I'm not sure I would want to deal with it.

Traffic for level A minor league baseball? GTFO.

Offline Kevrock

No crap; I was responding to Coladar. :crazy:

If you don't quote someone, no one is going to know who you're talking to and assume it's the post above yours.

Traffic for level A minor league baseball?

There is existing traffic that no one is going to want to deal with. And yeah... a minor league team will bring some additional traffic.

(Edit: To clarify, I was thinking of the small roads in Vienna stemming off of 123. These all get ridiculously backed up from normal rush hour and if there was an event they would be affected by a couple more hundred cars on the road or whatever)

And please tell me where there's space in Vienna for a minor league stadium.

GTFO.

Stop being a dick.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Aren't the PNats now out by the fairgrounds near Manassas Park?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
If you don't quote someone, no one is going to know who you're talking to and assume it's the post above yours.

Ok, but I did quote Coladar?  :shrug:

There is existing traffic that no one is going to want to deal with. And yeah... a minor league team will bring some additional traffic.

Eh, I live near the Bay Sox stadium and it's really not that bad, and that's for AA.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The United are desperate for a new stadium, maybe they could build a mixed use park at the Landmark Mall site, that would be sweet.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I thought the Springfield Mall since it is bankrupt and nearly empty.  Also closer to the Metro.

Another sort of off the wall idea would be for Falls Church to allow development over 66 near EFC (or WFC) metro station where the Silver line hits the orange line.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I thought the Springfield Mall since it is bankrupt and nearly empty.  Also closer to the Metro.

Another sort of off the wall idea would be for Falls Church to allow development over 66 near EFC (or WFC) metro station where the Silver line hits the orange line.

Springfield or Falls Church would work for me.  Somewhere on Columbia Pike near one of the trolley stops would be good too.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
yes.  I wasn't sure what the status of the trolleys is, but along a street car line on columbia pike would work.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The trolley line is projected to be running in 2016 which wouldn't be that far behind a stadium being built.  Sure would be nice to see Columbia Pike turn into Wilson Blvd.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Is the courtyard in the pentagon big enough for a diamond?   It has this great parking lot, lots of commuter options, and if DoD is going to take a whack in any budget deal, then it will have some unused space there.

Offline Kevrock

Solid idea.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Not sure about that location but the whole corridor is full of neighborhoods that are aging badly and ready for redevelopment.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Is the courtyard in the pentagon big enough for a diamond?   It has this great parking lot, lots of commuter options, and if DoD is going to take a whack in any budget deal, then it will have some unused space there.

It's not big enough, unfortunately.  I assume you mean the size of the parking lot and not most of the non-GS-15/SES spot locations.  Remember - not all of us are big baller shotcallers like you JCA.  :P

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
There isnt enough parking at the Pentagon as it is!

I think the plan for Springfield Mall is to make it into a Reston Town Center type place.  So I dont think that is an option?

Also doesn't MLB have restrictions of radius between the minor and major league teams?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
There isnt enough parking at the Pentagon as it is!

I think the plan for Springfield Mall is to make it into a Reston Town Center type place.  So I dont think that is an option?

Also doesn't MLB have restrictions of radius between the minor and major league teams?

I think the grand plan to make Springfield Mall into a Town Center development lacks a solvent developer at this point.  There are not enough commitments to get financing.  The three anchors own their stores, so they are not moving.  You walk into the mall, and it is no more than half occupied at this point.  It's the only place where the Occupy movement would be welcome.  It's gotten so bad, there aren't even annoying people offering you "free sample" of Bourbon Chicken or Teriyaki Chicken or whatever they are calling that "meat" on a stick with sauce nowadays.

Offline HalfSmokes

The United are desperate for a new stadium, maybe they could build a mixed use park at the Landmark Mall site, that would be sweet.

It depends on if they are still delusional about public funds buying them a state of the art stadium or are just looking for somewhere to play, I still think the land where landmark or Springfield is would be out of united's budget

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
It depends on if they are still delusional about public funds buying them a state of the art stadium or are just looking for somewhere to play, I still think the land where landmark or Springfield is would be out of united's budget

The United have an offer in hand for a free stadium in Baltimore and they've made it clear that they don't want to pay, so it's a pipe dream that they'd come to VA.  Screw'em if they move.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
It's gotten so bad, there aren't even annoying people offering you "free sample" of Bourbon Chicken or Teriyaki Chicken or whatever they are calling that "meat" on a stick with sauce nowadays.

When the Lids left a few years ago it was all over with.

Offline HalfSmokes

The United have an offer in hand for a free stadium in Baltimore and they've made it clear that they don't want to pay, so it's a pipe dream that they'd come to VA.  Screw'em if they move.

They have a completed feasibility study

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
They have a completed feasibility study

You mean the spot across South Capital from Nats Park?  Sure would be nice to get a second stadium in the area but I don't see the city chipping in.

Offline HalfSmokes

You mean the spot across South Capital from Nats Park?  Sure would be nice to get a second stadium in the area but I don't see the city chipping in.
No I mean the state of MD, that's as far as they are with MD- I seriously doubt that balitimore's city government will actually spend the money to procure the site and build a soccer stadium during lean budget times.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I seriously doubt that balitimore's city government will actually spend the money to procure the site and build a soccer stadium during lean budget times.

Yes, but you ignore the kick back and graft potential of those construction contracts.  I have faith in the B'more government not being so short sighted.