Author Topic: What are you listening to? (2012)  (Read 43884 times)

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #200: July 09, 2012, 06:28:47 PM »
no phish.  too much of that hippy stuff somehow would not seem fitting in New Jersey anywhere.

FIFY. Some music you must be stoned out of your gourd to listen to.  :shock:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #201: July 14, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »

crap will get freaked up Monday night

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #202: July 29, 2012, 07:15:17 PM »
[First post on this thread since 14th July??]

Bruckner's Te Deum roaring out of my speakers right now - a win like this deserves it.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #203: July 29, 2012, 07:51:57 PM »
Cranking Frank Ocean, Dirty Projectors, T Rex, and Twin Shadow.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #204: July 29, 2012, 09:33:14 PM »
Bruce Springsteen's Wrecking Ball

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #205: July 30, 2012, 07:26:36 AM »
Quality isn't super, but man I like it.

That's how you know they should retire - those two should be kidney punching each other, not playing on the same stage.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #206: August 05, 2012, 10:58:34 AM »
My prep for today's game:  St. Stephen live from the Fillmore East in 1971.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207: August 07, 2012, 08:14:02 AM »
I think I posted another youtube from this Springsteen concert for 1978 in Passaic.  This is prove it all night.  just amazing. 

Maybe someone who is better at this than me, but the into sounds like a punched up version of Frederick by Patty Smith.  Who borrowed from who on that one?

Offline blue911

« Reply #208: August 07, 2012, 09:21:57 AM »
I think I posted another youtube from this Springsteen concert for 1978 in Passaic.  This is prove it all night.  just amazing. 

Maybe someone who is better at this than me, but the into sounds like a punched up version of Frederick by Patty Smith.  Who borrowed from who on that one?

The Capitol Theater was a good venue. I think it's a Mall now

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #209: August 07, 2012, 11:05:20 PM »

For Ali - what an incredibly sad, amazingly great song

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #210: August 13, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »
I cannot seem to unpress the repeat button in my mind.

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #211: August 13, 2012, 11:15:31 AM »
The NEW Lynyrd Skynyrd single  "Last of A Dyin' Breed" from their upcoming album due out August 21, 2012 called "Last of A Dying Breed"

Lynyrd Skynyrd Lineup:

Johnny Van Zant  - Lead Vocals
Gary Rossington - Lead Guitar, Slide Guitar, Rhythm Guitar
Rickey Medlocke -  Lead Guitar, Dobro
Mark Matejka - Lead Guitar
Johnny Colt - Bass
Peter Keys - Piano/Keyboards
Michael Cartelleone - Drums/Percussion

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #212: August 13, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »
The NEW Lynyrd Skynyrd single  "Last of A Dyin' Breed" from their upcoming album due out August 21, 2012 called "Last of A Dying Breed"

Lynyrd Skynyrd Lineup:

Johnny Van Zant  - Lead Vocals
Gary Rossington - Lead Guitar, Slide Guitar, Rhythm Guitar
Rickey Medlocke -  Lead Guitar, Dobro
Mark Matejka - Lead Guitar
Johnny Colt - Bass
Peter Keys - Piano/Keyboards
Michael Cartelleone - Drums/Percussion

Not bad, I love me some Skynyrd!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #213: August 13, 2012, 11:23:13 AM »
So it is only Gary Rossington at this point?

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #214: August 13, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »
Not bad, I love me some Skynyrd!

NICE!

I highly recommend their new cd!  It's gonna be great!  Their last cd, "God & Guns" was also amazing (and had John 5 (guitarist for Rob Zombie, and formerly of Marilyn Manson) on 6 of the songs.  It also had Rob Zombie sing on the chorus of "Floyd").  Also, if you're an American who believes we're headed down the wrong road with the current administration, you'll love the song "That Ain't My America," which talks about how a lot of the freedoms we've all enjoyed keep disappearing...   "you can take your 'change' on down the road and leave me here with mine"   :D

Here's "Simple Life" from the album "God & Guns"

That Ain't My America

(also check out the Sean Hannity version)

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #215: August 13, 2012, 11:40:14 AM »
So it is only Gary Rossington at this point?

Not essentially.  Rickey Medlocke started with Skynyrd before he formed Blackfoot, and Johnny is the youngest brother of Ronnie (to me Ronnie is the greatest vocalist and lyricist of all time - no one comes close).  Ed King is still alive, but due to health reasons decides not to be in the band.  The band has had a huge disagreement with Artimus Pyle (the old drummer) because of his legal actions and his slamming of the current band.  Due to the agreement with Judy Van Zant (Ronnie's old wife) and Teresa Gaines (Steve's old wife), the band must play 85-90% of their shows with music from '77 and before.  They usually open the shows with a newer song, "Skynyrd Nation"

Billy Powell (Piano/Keyboards) - died in early 2009 from heart failure
Leon Wilkeson (Bass) - died in July 2001 - from "natural causes"
Allen Collins (Guitar) - died from complications of pneumonia in 1990 from the result of a car crash
Hughie Thomasson (Guitar - joined the band in '95; formerly of Outlaws fame) - died in 2007 from a massive heart attack
Ean Evans (Bass) - took over for Leon in 2001, died of aggressive cancer in 2009.  Diagnosed in late 2008 - died 3/4 months later

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #216: August 13, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »
Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Travelin' Man"  (1997)

Done with current vocalist Johnny Van Zant and his late brother, the legendary Ronnie Van Zant (founder of the band with Gary Rossington) on vocals.  They lifted Ronnie's voice and placed it on the track.  In this video, you'll see the drummer, Owen Hale - no longer with the group; Leon Wilkeson on bass - original member of Skynyrd, but passed in 2001; Hughie Thomasson - passed in 2007 from a massive heart attack (he's wearing the black hat with whitish shirt); Gary Rossington (still in group and original founder - black shirt, black hat, slide guitar); Rickey Medlock - blonde (or now white...lol) hair, black shirt; Billy Powell on piano/keyboard.  He has since passed as well.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #217: August 13, 2012, 11:48:34 AM »
I love old school Skynyrd. To me, the best driving song in the world is Call Me the Breeze. Hell, Skynyrd is summertime cookout, beer drinkin' music. It don't get much better than that. That said, Ronnie the greatest singer of all time? I love him, but Freddie Mercury says hi... Not to mention Elton John in his prime.

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #218: August 13, 2012, 11:50:53 AM »
I love old school Skynyrd. To me, the best driving song in the world is Call Me the Breeze. Hell, Skynyrd is summertime cookout, beer drinkin' music. It don't get much better than that. That said, Ronnie the greatest singer of all time? I love him, but Freddie Mercury says hi... Not to mention Elton John in his prime.

Skynyrd does rule.  Esp. at parties.  I would take Ronnie over Mercury, John, Lennon, Morrison... etc...

The lyrics that Ronnie made connect with people personally.  I've never been on a Yellow brick road, or in a yellow submarine, nor had any desire to date a fat bottomed girl, etc... lol

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #219: August 13, 2012, 11:55:10 AM »
Skynyrd does rule.  Esp. at parties.  I would take Ronnie over Mercury, John, Lennon, Morrison... etc...

The lyrics that Ronnie made connect with people personally.  I've never been on a Yellow brick road, or in a yellow submarine, nor had any desire to date a fat bottomed girl, etc... lol

I love Skynyrd's lyrics, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to singing? He was awesome but Mercury and imo, Elton took it to a different level. I agree also that Skynyrd's stuff connects more personally than most other bands I've listened to but if you want to get down to brass tacks, check out some of the stuff John Fogerty wrote. That man wrote some amazing stuff in a very short time with CCR.

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #220: August 13, 2012, 12:00:06 PM »
I love Skynyrd's lyrics, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to singing? He was awesome but Mercury and imo, Elton took it to a different level. I agree also that Skynyrd's stuff connects more personally than most other bands I've listened to but if you want to get down to brass tacks, check out some of the stuff John Fogerty wrote. That man wrote some amazing stuff in a very short time with CCR.

John Fogerty doesn't hold a candle to Ronnie in my view.  Ronnie had that soul feeling you could feel when he belted it out.  Ronnie had more of a bluesy/rock kind of a voice.  His younger brother has more of a metal/country voice.

Offline blue911

« Reply #221: August 13, 2012, 12:04:01 PM »

Hank Sr. Even his suit says "I'm playing music,nages"

Note the yodeling, lets see Metalica do that!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #222: August 13, 2012, 12:36:19 PM »
I'd rather have a root canal than listen to that bama skynard crap  :rofl:

Now Hank I can abide by...his grandson does some pretty good yodeling too (when he's not goin' "RRRRAWWWRRRRRRRR!!!")

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #223: August 13, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »
I'd rather have a root canal than listen to that bama skynard crap  :rofl:

Now Hank I can abide by...his grandson does some pretty good yodeling too (when he's not goin' "RRRRAWWWRRRRRRRR!!!")

"bama skynard crap"?  it's Skynyrd first of all - and second of all - they have more songs than just Skynyrd.  It's funny you rip on them because quite a lot of bands love them...including country artist Jason Aldean that LaRoche uses for his intro song

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #224: August 13, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »
 yee haw