Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 84789 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #150: October 14, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »
Why is everyone always in such a hurry to trade Morse away?

I'm not. Let's keep that beast in our lineup.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #151: October 14, 2011, 03:54:50 PM »
this.

I think september even may be a little late- they didn't give Rendon a major league deal to keep him in the minors for longer than necessary- if he takes at second I could see a mid season call up

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #152: October 14, 2011, 05:11:41 PM »

I think september even may be a little late- they didn't give Rendon a major league deal to keep him in the minors for longer than necessary- if he takes at second I could see a mid season call up

He can be our Posey.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #153: October 14, 2011, 09:18:14 PM »
Why is everyone always in such a hurry to trade Morse away?

I don't think anyone's in a hurry, but let's be honest, do you think he'll ever hit .303/.360/.550 with 31 HR and 95 RBIs? I like Morse a lot but his value will never be higher. I shop him this winter (not aggressively, but just to see what you can get) and look to move him next year if we can figure out a first base replacement.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #154: October 14, 2011, 09:44:13 PM »
I don't think anyone's in a hurry, but let's be honest, do you think he'll ever hit .303/.360/.550 with 31 HR and 95 RBIs? I like Morse a lot but his value will never be higher. I shop him this winter (not aggressively, but just to see what you can get) and look to move him next year if we can figure out a first base replacement.

Why do you think he can't?  He produced at close to that level last year and I remained skeptical.  After a full season of it this year, I'm ready to get on the bandwagon.  Sure it's entirely possible he falls off significantly next year, but so could anyone.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #155: October 14, 2011, 09:44:44 PM »

Honestly, I didn't think he'd do this year what he did after the nice year he had last year.  So, yeah, I think he can do it again, or get close.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #156: October 14, 2011, 09:45:57 PM »
Why do you think he can't?  He produced at close to that level last year and I remained skeptical.  After a full season of it this year, I'm ready to get on the bandwagon.  Sure it's entirely possible he falls off significantly next year, but so could anyone.

Honestly, I didn't think he'd do this year what he did after the nice year he had last year.  So, yeah, I think he can do it again, or get close.

jinx :mg:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #157: October 14, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »

he was on pace last fall for similar numbers, some guys produce better with full time at bats

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #158: October 14, 2011, 10:45:49 PM »
jinx :mg:

Great mind.  Or something like that.  :D

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #159: October 14, 2011, 11:05:51 PM »
FWIW, Walters is playing 3B at the AFL. He's played mostly SS the last couple of years.

Offline RD

« Reply #160: October 14, 2011, 11:06:50 PM »
Well, in that case, Zim's already outdone him.  Rendon was drafted in June, too.  Just like Harper, his play will let you know when he's ready.

My point was that Zimmerman made it within months. Rendon obviously can't move that fast, since that timeline has passed.

Im just trying to say, in reponse to you saying you'd be surprised to see him called up at all next year, come next September he'll have more pro experience than Zimmerman when he was called up. So I don't think it's such a stretch to expect to see him next year.

With a big league contract, a full minor league season(which come the beginning of September, the season will be finished) ... Im fairly certain we will see Rendon at the big league level next year. I think his role(whether he's inserted into the starting lineup every day, or spot starts) will be determined by where the team is at(and of course, his own success during the season). If we're out of everything, I think he's playing every day. If we're contending, he may just be up for a couple starts, pinch hits - just get some experience of what its like.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #161: October 14, 2011, 11:13:06 PM »
That's possible.  I just think it's a bit much to expect a kid in his first year of pro ball to make it to the top club.  Maybe he does it.  That'd be great.  But I think it's asking an awful lot to expect it.  That's all I'm saying.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #162: October 14, 2011, 11:25:42 PM »

His .387 BABIP seems unsustainable, though his nearly 20% line-drive percentage seems pretty favorable. I think next year he hits close to 30 HRs but hits closer to .280-.290. I don't think he'll face a big drop off, but I also am skeptical he can sustain a .360 OBP. I'm not advocating giving him up for anything - it has to be the right package of players.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #163: October 15, 2011, 12:00:13 PM »
FWIW, Walters is playing 3B at the AFL. He's played mostly SS the last couple of years.

Interesting.  Is he playing ahead of Middlebrooks?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #164: October 15, 2011, 12:11:55 PM »
Interesting.  Is he playing ahead of Middlebrooks?

The two are switching off at 3B, which is pretty much standard operating procedure for the AFL (two players sharing the at-bats at a position).  I wouldn't read too much into Walters not getting any time at SS.  Because of the presence of Jean Segura and Brandon Crawford, there is more of a need for Walters at third, a position he also plays during the regular season, than at the 6 hole.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #165: October 26, 2011, 02:02:01 PM »
Rendon done for the winter. No AFL.

MarkZuckerman

More from Rizzo: Anthony Rendon on throwing program with Jeff Garber, won't play this winter but expected 100% for spring training.

I sure hope this isn't Flores part two.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #166: October 26, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »
Not another situation of trusting the Nats medical staff- hopefully he cons back strong soon

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #167: October 26, 2011, 04:00:54 PM »
Rendon done for the winter. No AFL.

I sure hope this isn't Flores part two.

Or LaRoche. 

Hopefully they will have learned from prior experience.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #168: October 26, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
Or LaRoche. 

What do you mean?  There's still hope for Flores, certainly.   It's been an excruciatingly slow rehab, but these are often career ending so I'm not sure they've really made any mistakes so far, if that's what you're implying.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #169: October 26, 2011, 09:10:57 PM »
Hopefully they don't need to cut on his shoulder.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #170: October 26, 2011, 09:22:01 PM »
Hopefully they don't need to cut on his shoulder.

Agreed.  More and more, however, it's seeming likely that his rise to the majors will not be meteoric.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #171: October 26, 2011, 10:33:52 PM »
Agreed.  More and more, however, it's seeming likely that his rise to the majors will not be meteoric.

This. I'd be satisfied if he comes up for good sometime during the 2013 season, which could help us when we make our strong push for the playoffs.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #172: October 27, 2011, 05:50:00 AM »
Or LaRoche. 

You keep citing LaRoche as having an injury prior to being signed. From what I read that wasn't the case.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #173: October 27, 2011, 06:15:23 AM »
What do you mean?  There's still hope for Flores, certainly.   It's been an excruciatingly slow rehab, but these are often career ending so I'm not sure they've really made any mistakes so far, if that's what you're implying.

I mean Rendon shouldn't be pushed to fight through an injury.  I think it was likely LaRoche was encouraged to play in large part because of the big contract he had just received.

[edit: It at least seems likely that he was not discouraged from playing.  I think another part of the story was that the team did not know what it had in Morse when LaRoche went down - if they knew Morse would have the kind of year he had, LaRoche would have had the surgery much sooner.]

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #174: October 27, 2011, 06:18:03 AM »
You keep citing LaRoche as having an injury prior to being signed. From what I read that wasn't the case.

Wasn't me who kept saying that - I don't think anyone in their right mind would give a baseball player that much money knowing that they had an injured shoulder.