Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 84727 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #675: December 09, 2012, 11:14:18 PM »
I meant he needs to play in the minors every day.  Don't bring him up until they expand the 25 man roster to 40.  He needs the AB's in Harrisburg. 

Yes. At best, a half season at Harrisburg and a second half at Syracuse. Come to think of it, the kid has only had a couple months of professional baseball.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #676: December 09, 2012, 11:20:34 PM »
Yes. At best, a half season at Harrisburg and a second half at Syracuse. Come to think of it, the kid has only had a couple months of professional baseball.

... and Zimmerman played how many games in the minors?

Rendon was an advanced hitter, who came from college. He's shown that his bat is elite -- and yeah, he should still get some more time in the minors, but it's not like we're talking about an 18-yr-old that's only played prep games.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #677: December 10, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »

Rendon was an advanced hitter, who came from college. He's shown that his bat is elite -- and yeah, he should still get some more time in the minors, but it's not like we're talking about an 18-yr-old that's only played prep games.

if he stays healthy i fully expect he comes up before september.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #678: December 10, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »
I hope Rendon has a season as good as the one Wil Myers just had. 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #679: December 10, 2012, 01:09:58 PM »

Zimmy also was already considered a top flight defender who had a solid bat projection. I believe there was surprise that his bat developed as quick as it did, but there was really no surprise about his d. Can the same be said for Rendon? Also, with the talent we are currently fielding, there's no need to rush him to the Show. I say treat him like we did Harper. If he forces his way to the big club, let it happen, otherwise, let him develop at medium pace... :lol:

Offline welch

« Reply #680: December 10, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »
Zimmy also was already considered a top flight defender who had a solid bat projection. I believe there was surprise that his bat developed as quick as it did, but there was really no surprise about his d. Can the same be said for Rendon? Also, with the talent we are currently fielding, there's no need to rush him to the Show. I say treat him like we did Harper. If he forces his way to the big club, let it happen, otherwise, let him develop at medium pace... :lol:

Rendon hit about .170 in AA. Zimmerman might have zipped through the minors, but that's no reason to assume that Rendon can advance as quickly. There is no gaping hole in the Nats lineup. Let Rendon have most of the season to develop.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #681: December 10, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »

Rendon's defense was given a plus rating, some even saying plus-plus. His bat really isn't in question either -- just his health. So to say the FO should cap him from moving up simply because of games played is a bit silly. RZO had pushed all his first-rounders through the system pretty quickly (except for his 2011 class).

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #682: December 10, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »
If this bird really can fly, there is a spot at second.  Is he really good enough to walk in and outshine Lombo/Espo?  If not, why bother ranting on about him?

We don't need a third baseman right now.

Trade bait?

Offline Rasta

« Reply #683: December 10, 2012, 08:08:30 PM »

Zimmerman had also played his college career at 3B without missing huge amounts of time with injuries.  Rendon hasn't played a full baseball season for over 2 full years.  His junior year at Rice he was the DH most of the time due to injuries and he missed almost all of last year. 

The kid needs the AB's.  It's not a matter of capping him.  It's a matter of getting him used to the pro game on a daily basis.  Why rush that when you have Zim at 3B?  The only spot for him potentially is at 2B if Espi struggles horribly and he's never played 2B outside of a few games.  I just don't get the need to rush him.  A full year in the minors with a September call up is perfectly reasonable.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #684: December 11, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »
Isn't one of the perks of being a really good ballclub that you can leave guys like Rendon in the minors until they're ready to contribute at a peak level, rather than wasting a couple years of team control on sub-peak contributions?

It's nice that we're finally getting the A+ Desmond, but if we had a decent option in 2010 and maybe even 2011 I would rather have let Desmond try to improve his defense and power in Syracuse.

I guess there's an argument that some guys have "no more to learn" in the minors, but we called Desmond up after just 205 AAA ABs, which is pretty fast. Then we spent a year of team control on him playing terrible defense with a crappy bat in 2010. As if that wasn't punishment enough, now we'll have to pay him $12-15 million for his services a year earlier than necessary if he had spent 2010 in AAA.

Meanwhile, look at how the Phillies handled Chase Utley. He had 2 seasons worth of plate appearances at AAA despite an .864 OPS there. It didn't "hurt" him in the long run, and the Phillies at the end of 2013 will have kept him through his age-34 season (and for 55+ WAR) for less than $90 million.

They did the same thing with Ryan Howard, who spent full seasons at every level despite being an absolute masher. If the Phillies hadn't given him that idiotic 5/$125 extension, they would have gotten Ryan Howard's entire prime (ages 25-31 seasons, 24 WAR, and a .928 OPS) for $65 million.

That's the way you do things.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #685: December 11, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »
Isn't one of the perks of being a really good ballclub that you can leave guys like Rendon in the minors until they're ready to contribute at a peak level, rather than wasting a couple years of team control on sub-peak contributions?

It's nice that we're finally getting the A+ Desmond, but if we had a decent option in 2010 and maybe even 2011 I would rather have let Desmond try to improve his defense and power in Syracuse.

I guess there's an argument that some guys have "no more to learn" in the minors, but we called Desmond up after just 205 AAA ABs, which is pretty fast. Then we spent a year of team control on him playing terrible defense with a crappy bat in 2010. As if that wasn't punishment enough, now we'll have to pay him $12-15 million for his services a year earlier than necessary if he had spent 2010 in AAA.

Meanwhile, look at how the Phillies handled Chase Utley. He had 2 seasons worth of plate appearances at AAA despite an .864 OPS there. It didn't "hurt" him in the long run, and the Phillies at the end of 2013 will have kept him through his age-34 season (and for 55+ WAR) for less than $90 million.

They did the same thing with Ryan Howard, who spent full seasons at every level despite being an absolute masher. If the Phillies hadn't given him that idiotic 5/$125 extension, they would have gotten Ryan Howard's entire prime (ages 25-31 seasons, 24 WAR, and a .928 OPS) for $65 million.

That's the way you do things.

Absolutely!

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #686: December 11, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »
There also the matter of timing with regards to extensions and things like that. Those age 30, 31, and 32 years are huge in terms of aging curves, and having the ability to negotiate a player's first contract extension to cover them is a pretty big deal.

I have almost come to the conclusion that you should try to extend all your young players through those seasons just so you don't run into the Prince Fielder problem of guaranteeing too many years to a player based on the fact he's younger than most free agents.

Like Fielder is getting roughly 24 million a season to play through his age-36 season. But Milwaukee should have given him a reasonable extension after his first 3 very good years, instead of a weird stupid 2 year contract that still left one arbitration year hanging on the end of it. They paid him $34 million for his arbitration years, so say they offered him 7/$110 which would be 4 free agency years at $19 million per.

I think probably every player takes that heading into his age-25 season, Milwaukee would have gotten an additional 4 years of an MVP candidate 1B, and would still be out of their obligation to Fielder after his age-31 season, when he's likely to be very good still but would be an easier player to let go elsewhere given his age at that point and his body type.

The Nationals got themselves into a slightly negative position, for example, by signing Ryan Zimmerman to the initial 5/$45 million extension heading into his age-24 season, at which point he had already established a near-star level of play. They could easily have tacked another 3 years on at $14 million per year (what he's getting paid 2013-2018 anyways) and made it an 8/$87 million extension that ended after his age-31 season (2016).

I mean, how is an 8/$87 deal covering age 24 to 31 any riskier than a 6/$100 deal covering ages 29-34, signed 2 years early?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #687: December 13, 2012, 07:30:16 AM »
There also the matter of timing with regards to extensions and things like that. Those age 30, 31, and 32 years are huge in terms of aging curves, and having the ability to negotiate a player's first contract extension to cover them is a pretty big deal.

I have almost come to the conclusion that you should try to extend all your young players through those seasons just so you don't run into the Prince Fielder problem of guaranteeing too many years to a player based on the fact he's younger than most free agents.

Like Fielder is getting roughly 24 million a season to play through his age-36 season. But Milwaukee should have given him a reasonable extension after his first 3 very good years, instead of a weird stupid 2 year contract that still left one arbitration year hanging on the end of it. They paid him $34 million for his arbitration years, so say they offered him 7/$110 which would be 4 free agency years at $19 million per.

I think probably every player takes that heading into his age-25 season, Milwaukee would have gotten an additional 4 years of an MVP candidate 1B, and would still be out of their obligation to Fielder after his age-31 season, when he's likely to be very good still but would be an easier player to let go elsewhere given his age at that point and his body type.

The Nationals got themselves into a slightly negative position, for example, by signing Ryan Zimmerman to the initial 5/$45 million extension heading into his age-24 season, at which point he had already established a near-star level of play. They could easily have tacked another 3 years on at $14 million per year (what he's getting paid 2013-2018 anyways) and made it an 8/$87 million extension that ended after his age-31 season (2016).

I mean, how is an 8/$87 deal covering age 24 to 31 any riskier than a 6/$100 deal covering ages 29-34, signed 2 years early?

Great points. Thanks.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #688: January 04, 2013, 10:46:05 PM »
Your Post, Edited for space

I agree with your views, and wish to suscribe to your newsletter

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #689: February 05, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »
From ESPN Top 100 Pospects:

When he's healthy, he hits, but the man with the cut-glass ankles needs to keep himself on the field for a full season in 2013.

Rendon has tremendous bat speed with a very advanced approach at the plate, discriminating well between balls and strikes and putting himself in favorable counts; his strikeouts are less a result of passivity than a result of mistiming pitches within the zone. He drifts a little over his front side but is so rotational that he can still drive the ball out to the gaps, with 40-50 doubles potential even if he tops out at 15 or so homers. He's blocked at third base by Ryan Zimmerman, which leaves future position in doubt. However, he has excellent instincts and great hands. Although he has always been quick on his feet, that will eventually slip if he keeps hurting his ankles -- and second base, a position that is particularly hard on players' lower halves, seems like a disastrous idea.

He made up for some of the four months he missed during the regular season with a strong campaign in the Arizona Fall League, but still needs to show he can hold up for a full season. His bat isn't that far away once he's healthy enough and there's an opportunity in D.C.

Offline welch

« Reply #690: February 07, 2013, 12:14:18 PM »
If Rendon can hit well in AAA, then we might say he's blocked at 3B. Until then, he's like Goodwin as a CF: potentially good, but hasn't been able to hit AA pitching.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #691: February 08, 2013, 02:04:39 PM »
If Rendon can hit well in AAA, then we might say he's blocked at 3B. Until then, he's like Goodwin as a CF: potentially good, but hasn't been able to hit AA pitching.

68 Abs is hardly enough to say he can't hit AA pitching.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #692: February 26, 2013, 09:04:41 AM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1544376-full-scouting-report-for-nationals-top-10-prospects-at-spring-training#/articles/1544376-full-scouting-report-for-nationals-top-10-prospects-at-spring-training/page/2

"Defensively, Rendon is head and shoulders above the rest of the guys in the system. Heck, he could give nearly everybody on the major league roster a run for their money as well."

Offline welch

« Reply #693: February 27, 2013, 08:02:10 AM »
68 Abs is hardly enough to say he can't hit AA pitching.

Has not yet hit AA pitching. No sign that he can't...just that he hasn't hit yet. Give the kid a half-season in AA, then, if he hits, a half-season at AAA.

Online Slateman

« Reply #694: February 27, 2013, 08:04:22 AM »
He's hitting Spring Training pitching quite well. He may warrant being placed in Triple A. I also think that, because of his swing, he'd  be ready for the majors now.

Offline welch

« Reply #695: February 27, 2013, 04:01:12 PM »
He's hitting Spring Training pitching quite well. He may warrant being placed in Triple A. I also think that, because of his swing, he'd  be ready for the majors now.

Nothing wrong with having a player do well sooner than expected. As best I remember, though, Rendon hit well last spring. If not Harrisburg, let him play every day, ride the bus, get used to the pro baseball grind. Unless injuries crush the Nats, Rendon seems like a nice-to-have problem next year.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #697: March 02, 2013, 08:21:52 AM »
Davey says he's not breaking camp with the Nats:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/03/01/anthony-rendon-wont-break-camp-with-the-nationals/

Right, look for him to get called up about a month into the season, keeps him under team control for another year, same as they did with Bryce last season.

Online Slateman

« Reply #698: March 02, 2013, 08:48:50 AM »
Gotta have a place to play him.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #699: March 02, 2013, 08:56:33 AM »
Gotta have a place to play him.

2B is wide open