Author Topic: Curly W cap sightings (2007 - 2011)  (Read 45504 times)

natsfan1a

Curly W cap sightings (2007 - 2011)
« Topic Start: March 21, 2007, 04:53:12 PM »
Yesterday I saw two out-of-context navy curly W caps on tv. The first was worn by a participant at an Arizona pow-wow that was shown on the Oprah show. The second was worn by Chris Cooley in a segment on channel 7 news at 6 (okay, maybe that one's not too far out of context, but he *is* a football, not a baseball, player). I'm always happy to see people representing my team!

This reminds me of the time, during a visit to Chicago last summer, that natsfan1b and I were walking along the river and representin' the Nats when we passed a fellow who was sporting a Nats cap. He did a double-take and then we nodded to each other in acknowledgment before continuing on our respective ways.

Locally, I think that the greatest concentration of people I've ever seen in Nats gear (outside of a game or a caravan, that is) was last August at the Montgomery County Fair (great fair, by the way, if you like agricultural events).

Edit by The Chief

Curly W cap sightings for 2012 thread:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=26298.0

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Curly W cap sightings
« Reply #1: March 21, 2007, 05:38:32 PM »
I havent' seen this movie in a long time but I think I remember seeing someone wearing a curly W hat in one of the scenes of The Karate Kid.

« Reply #2: March 21, 2007, 06:37:52 PM »
One of the cut scenes on the Special Edition "Lost Boys" movies has the Head Vampire pulling up in his sports car wearing a red Curly W hat.

Being the Nats fan rep from the great state of NC, I can tell you the fanbase here is growing.  I have to see at least one Curly W a day not including mine.  UNCW campus has quite a few of them.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #3: March 21, 2007, 09:35:35 PM »
I saw one in Bangkok, but I didn't get the chance to ask the guy whether he was from the U.S. (he was a farang)

Offline Rojo Johnson

• formerly Southeast Jerome
  • nages leave
« Reply #4: March 22, 2007, 09:23:33 AM »
I wear my blue W hat pretty much all the time when I'm out.  It's starting to look a little faded I've worn it so much. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #5: March 22, 2007, 05:59:09 PM »
My three favorite sightings:
1.  Cape Cod, July 2005.
2. Yosemite, August 2005.
3. Venice (Italy)!, July 2006.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #6: March 23, 2007, 01:24:21 AM »
I see them from time to time here in Nebraska.  Probably at least once a week.  I don't know how many are actual fans and how many are just because they look so darn cool. 

Offline PC

« Reply #7: March 23, 2007, 02:09:03 AM »
If you watch The People's Court, after each case is decided, the lawyer out on the street, gives an opinion about the ruling.  There are always a dozen or so people standing behind him out on the streets of New York and one day there was a Curly W in the crowd.

Also, as for Chris Cooley, Mike Sellers did an interview wearing a curly W cap, last season, I believe it was.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #8: June 04, 2007, 03:55:29 PM »
2007 MTV Movie Awards - June 3, 2007 (to be repeated ad infinitum)
Will Smith could be seen wearing a red Nationals Curly W cap, as he was creeping into the side of the video acceptance speech for his son's Breakthrough Performance win, Jaden Smith, for The Pursuit of Happyness.  I think Smith may be a Phillies fan, but he probably saw the Nationals cap as working for the W in Will.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #9: June 04, 2007, 04:08:45 PM »
I've seen around three in two years.  Not much to brag about.

But, Ice Cube is a big Nats fan.  He sports the Curly W and the DC logo.

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: June 04, 2007, 04:23:16 PM »
My husband and I wore our Nats gear on our travel days to and from Philly last week (with no unfortunate Philly fan-related results). One guy running a deli booth at the Reading Terminal Market noticed our gear and asked us about Washington's "new" team so we filled him in. Turned out his brother owns Citronelle in DC (I've never been there but had heard of it).

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #11: June 04, 2007, 04:52:13 PM »
Can't admit of any Curly W cap sightings outside the area as yet, but in December 2005 when I was coming home from my annual London sabbatical, there was a passenger in the departure lounge for the British Airways flight back to Dulles who was wearing a red Nats jacket.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #12: June 04, 2007, 06:37:33 PM »
The farthest away I saw a Curly W cap was last September in South Africa - a cab driver was wearing it ... I asked him about it and he said a friend visting from the US had given it to him ... very cool ...

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #13: June 04, 2007, 07:28:23 PM »
The farthest away I saw a Curly W cap was last September in South Africa - a cab driver was wearing it ... I asked him about it and he said a friend visting from the US had given it to him ... very cool ...
There is a Igorit Indian guide in the Philippines that proudly wears an official Nats away cap.  While touring the remote village of Batad, known for it's world famous rice terraces - I gave it to him as a gift.   8)

This guy  :arrow:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #14: June 04, 2007, 09:18:19 PM »
Sens you forgot to specify who is who in the picture  :lol:

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #15: June 04, 2007, 09:55:39 PM »
I've seen rappers Ice Cube and The Game wear Curly W's.

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #16: June 04, 2007, 11:31:09 PM »
I have seen the W's cap in Pittsburgh last year, and in Philly and Baltimore

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #17: June 05, 2007, 10:47:36 AM »

Tell me it's NOT Sens'!  After the posting of the Tailgate photos (another Washington 'gate scandal), I have been having the same Recurring Nightmare.  I am trapped in a Cracker Factory...  JMadisonIV is wearing a Ninja outfit, and is trying to help me escape, yelling, "This way!"  I yell back, "But you're wearing a pink backpack."  The TailGators are chasing us.  JMadisonIV says, "HURRY, if you want to get out of here!"  I yell back, "But it's pink!"  Then I wake up and realize it's a nightmare.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #18: June 05, 2007, 10:48:18 AM »
I have seen the W's cap in Pittsburgh last year, and in Philly and Baltimore

You probably saw tomterp in PNC, LOL, I'm not sure if you can get credit for a "sighting" for that one.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #19: June 08, 2007, 01:07:13 AM »
I've seen at least half a dozen sightings here in Nebraska over the past couple of weeks.  Really, a suprisingly high number, almost as many as NYY, Red Sox and Cubs hats which are easily the most prevailnt ones around here.

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #20: June 08, 2007, 10:22:23 PM »
there are a few at the twins games tonight. and i dont mean the nats players

good to see we are every where!

natsfan1a

« Reply #21: June 08, 2007, 10:57:24 PM »
Yeah, I noticed a few in the stands on TV. That one Twins fan kid they showed was so cute with his double-crossed fingers, crossed arms, crossed eyes, and rally cap. I felt bad for him that his team lost after all that.

Offline PC

« Reply #22: June 08, 2007, 10:58:46 PM »

And no one's wearing a Nat's cap. :lol:

Offline arlington

« Reply #23: July 23, 2007, 02:09:37 PM »
On the WGN telecast of the Cubs-Diamondbacks game on Saturday, July 21, there were two Curly W caps (a home and an away) being worn by a (most likely) father and son sitting just to the third base side of home plate.  You could see them on every shot of a right handed hitter when they stepped out of the box. 

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #24: July 23, 2007, 03:21:28 PM »
I had a sighting in Waikiki a couple of weeks ago at Pearl Harbor ... :)