Author Topic: Minty's "do you still play" thread  (Read 57167 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Minty's "do you still play" thread
« Reply #50: June 07, 2009, 10:11:57 AM »
Here's one for you Chief.

So we're getting killed in the top of the seventh inning (it was 9-5 when the inning started) and the first batter works the count 3-2 on nine pitches.  The tenth pitch comes in low and inside and he thinks he drew a walk but the umpire strikes him out looking.

The opposing pitcher has some control problems and we then rally for three runs culminating with the #6 hitter driving in two runs on a double.  As the #7 hitter, that brings me to the plate with the tying run on 2nd, bottom of the seventh (we play 7 inning games) and two outs.  On the first pitch, the pitcher uncorks a wild pitch and our tying run is on third (and yes, the catcher should have blocked it  ;) ).  I work the count to 3-2.  The first 3-2 pitch comes in flat and I hit a frozen rope that one-hops the outfield wall  -  only it landed about a foot foul.

The next pitch?  Low and outside - ball four!  Only the umpire didn't feel the same way and he rung me up to end the game. 

After a mild protest I accepted my fate and lined up to shake hands with the opposition.  When I got to the opposing catcher I asked him to make me feel better and tell me that ball was low and away.  His response?  "In my opinion?  Probabaly.  But it was close enough to the zone in that crucial situation that you have to swing the bat and not take any chances."

A bitter pill to swallow after our argument on Friday during the day.  I found it so ironic that earlier in the day we argued about the exact same thing - the only factor that could add to the irony would've been if the bases were loaded.

You almost couldn't have scripted it better.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #51: June 07, 2009, 10:15:09 AM »
Swinging the bat is "not taking any chances"?  So, one can presume that if you swing the bat, you're going to get a hit? 

Bad things can happen when you swing, just as they can if you don't swing.  Pick your poison.  I would argue a .133 hitter with a decent OBP ought to be taking LOTS of pitches, especially those outside the zone.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #52: June 07, 2009, 10:18:28 AM »
I've always hated the 'if it's close, you have to swing' mantra with two strikes.

No, a ball is a ball. If the umpire was competent, he'd call the pitch a ball. Not a strike.

- End Rant -

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #53: June 07, 2009, 02:21:35 PM »
Well we all have our opinions and I'm content to leave it at that, but that is a funny story Minty :D

I want to make a joke about catcher ERA or something but I'm drawing a blank :P

Offline saltydad

« Reply #54: June 07, 2009, 06:19:22 PM »
I played YMCA and Little League. I sucked then and would probably suck now.A perennial right fielder; the only thing I did well was throw. It's a shame as I love playing. If I thought I would be any good I'd get back into shape and try. Do they have geezer leagues for old, bald and fat white guys? Must have someone with CPR and AED experience and certification (besides me).

When Shawn was in the year after t-ball, the coaches pitched. I was the asst. coach so I didn't have to worry. However, one game the coach (a good pitcher who happened to be woman) was sick  so I pitched. I actually did very well, which means I got the ball in the strike zone so the kids could hit it, and avoided hitting any of the players. Everyone was congratulating me. Next game I had to pitch again, and again did a better than credible job. Only trouble was that I couldn't lift my right arm above horizontal for 2 months thereafter, so I guess pitching is out. Right field here I come (again).

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #55: June 07, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »
In my first game of High School baseball I got beaned in the forehead by a fastball (fastest thrower in the league). After I regained awareness I was able to see the damage: swelling...and the best part....cuts in the head where the seams of the baseball are. It looked pretty cool, not gonna lie.

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #56: June 07, 2009, 11:17:19 PM »
I once lost a game due to a catchers balk

Anyone else have that happen?

Yea, I didn't think so

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #57: June 08, 2009, 12:03:59 AM »
What's a catcher's balk?

Offline skinsnatsterps

• The Big Train.
« Reply #58: June 08, 2009, 12:18:03 AM »
No, I gave it up a few years ago;nBut, I hope to pick it back up in college. Maybe with the ECU club team.

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #59: June 08, 2009, 12:24:37 AM »
What's a catcher's balk?

Right. I am not sure anyone in the entire stadium knew it even existed except for the ump

It was the bottom of the 9th inning. We were tied 2-2. I had pitched a complete game so far. Men on 2nd/3rd with 1 out so I was intentionally walking the batter to get the DP.

The catcher stepped out too soon apparently to catch my ball and the ump called it a balk on the catcher and the guy from 3rd was allowed home.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #60: June 08, 2009, 10:07:08 AM »
I played YMCA and Little League. I sucked then and would probably suck now.A perennial right fielder; the only thing I did well was throw. It's a shame as I love playing. If I thought I would be any good I'd get back into shape and try. Do they have geezer leagues for old, bald and fat white guys? Must have someone with CPR and AED experience and certification (besides me).

http://www.dcmsbl.com/cgi-bin/foxweb.exe/show_league@leagues/Local_League?leagueID=DCMSBL

My best recommendation is to go and watch a few games of the 55+ Division and see how you stack up.  They certainly won't mind having a few people show up and watch the games and you can get a guage on how they look vs. how you think you can play based upon one off-season.

I don't know much about the 55+ Division in DC, but if it's anything like it is up here, the league is filled with "old, bald and fat white guys."

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #61: June 08, 2009, 10:26:13 AM »
What's a catcher's balk?

A catcher's balk happens when a pitch is thrown and the catcher is not completely within the catcher's box which is supposed to be outlined in chalk before the game starts.

There are a couple of problems with the rule:

1.  The chalk is often worn out by the third inning of a ball game making the call harder to make - and that's assuming that,
2.  They bother to actually draw the catcher's box which is not a frequent practice nowadays.

It's kind of a misnomer in that the "balk" and the advancing baserunners including any runs scored are charged to the pitcher. 

Essentially, it's an extremely rare call (I think the last one was in the early 2000's and even that was the first time in many, many years) and if I was a pitcher and the umpire called a "catcher's balk" I'd be tempted to punch the catcher in the face.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #62: June 08, 2009, 10:49:12 AM »
In HS, I was warned about it as I often would step out well before the pitch on a pitch out/intentional walk... I was never actually called for it though.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #63: June 08, 2009, 10:53:26 AM »
A catcher's balk happens when a pitch is thrown and the catcher is not completely within the catcher's box which is supposed to be outlined in chalk before the game starts.

There are a couple of problems with the rule:

1.  The chalk is often worn out by the third inning of a ball game making the call harder to make - and that's assuming that,
2.  They bother to actually draw the catcher's box which is not a frequent practice nowadays.

It's kind of a misnomer in that the "balk" and the advancing baserunners including any runs scored are charged to the pitcher. 

Essentially, it's an extremely rare call (I think the last one was in the early 2000's and even that was the first time in many, many years) and if I was a pitcher and the umpire called a "catcher's balk" I'd be tempted to punch the catcher in the face.
Hmmm...I've watched a lot of baseball and never heard of that call. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #64: June 08, 2009, 11:03:37 AM »
Hmmm...I've watched a lot of baseball and never heard of that call. 

From Wiki Answers:

There's some confusion on the internet regarding a "catcher's balk." Rule 4.03(a) states "The catcher shall station himself directly back of the plate. He may leave his position at any time to catch a pitch or make a play except that when the batter is being given an intentional base on balls, the catcher must stand with both feet within the lines of the catcher’s box until the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand. PENALTY: Balk."

Some web sites have stated that the penalty for such an occurence is that the batter is awarded a walk. This is not true.

A "catcher's balk" is charged to the pitcher (for pitching when the catcher is out of the box), and has the same penalty as any other balk -- the runners advance one base.

On June 24, 2004, John Shulock called such a balk on the Braves' Greg Maddux when he pitched while catcher Fernando Lunar's foot was out of the box. Bobby Cox argued the call and was ejected. The night before, Brewers' manager Davey Lopes had asked the umpires to enforce the rule against the Braves' catcher Javy Lopez, who was setting up far outside the box. This appears to be the only time this balk has been called in decades.

Major League crew chief Tim McClelland has written "As a matter of fact, I have never seen it called, it's one of those things you just kind of let slide."

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #65: June 25, 2009, 11:56:16 AM »
Updated after last night's 8-0 loss and an 0-for-3:

AVG   AB   R    H   2B  3B  HR   RBI   BB   K   HBP  SB  CS  SH  SF  DP  ROE  TB  OBP  SLG   OPS

.269   26   5    7   3    0    0     2     6    8    0     8     1    0   0    0    0    10  .406  .385 .791

:?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #66: June 25, 2009, 05:05:52 PM »
at least you got the average up ;)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #67: January 20, 2010, 12:39:48 PM »
A kid by the name of Nate Novak who played in my league last year will be trying out for the Minnesota Twins on Saturday.  He also recently received an offer to skip school at my alma mater (U.Albany) and sign a minor league deal with the Boston Red Sox -  he turned it down to go to school.

He also recently worked out for the Red Sox, Phillies, Yankees and Brewers.

Just a sampling of the type of talent you can face on the field if you play ball.  Leagues will be starting practices soon so if you ever thought about playing, now's a good time to start looking.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #68: January 20, 2010, 12:45:58 PM »
I honestly would rather play with fat guys who like beer. And I'd still hide in LF.

Offline KyleScha

« Reply #69: January 20, 2010, 12:51:21 PM »
I still play (at the old age of 22). I've been on the same DCMSBL team for the last 3 years. We're the Blue Jays lol

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #70: January 20, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »
I'm really, really tempted to look into it, but I'm not sure if I really have the time to put into it.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #71: January 20, 2010, 01:26:56 PM »
I'm really, really tempted to look into it, but I'm not sure if I really have the time to put into it.

Lots of teams look for part-time players to round out the roster.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #72: January 20, 2010, 01:28:05 PM »
I still play (at the old age of 22). I've been on the same DCMSBL team for the last 3 years. We're the Blue Jays lol

How's that division doing?  They had too many teams when I played there - something like 25 teams.  The league would've been better off with five less teams and consolidated rosters to ensure competitive games.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #73: January 20, 2010, 01:28:42 PM »
I honestly would rather play with fat guys who like beer. And I'd still hide in LF.

Gotta challenge yourself. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #74: January 20, 2010, 03:55:46 PM »
Gotta challenge yourself. 

I've met PA, that IS a challenge  :twisted: