Author Topic: Fielder  (Read 215483 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: Fielder.
« Reply #3650: January 21, 2012, 10:02:05 AM »
In other words, if he hears something it's more likely to be genuine information than it is media spin fed to a reporter.

It's means he knows just as much as anyone else, which is nothing

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #3651: January 21, 2012, 10:04:20 AM »
It's means he knows just as much as anyone else, which is nothing

Right.

I know he's a pro, didn't mean to get my panties in a bunch.

I just hate Twitter sometimes.

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #3652: January 21, 2012, 10:06:12 AM »
Guy writes for ESPN.  I think that is a bit more than you or I posting something on Twitter.

Okay, so he writes DRAFT stuff, big deal, he's not a team insider or anything like that. Hell I have people who work for the Redskins that give me info all the time. I'm sure I could write for ESPN had they had a ESPNDC.

It's easy to write draft stuff when you know a teams needs.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #3653: January 21, 2012, 10:24:37 AM »
This makes sense, unfortunately. If Fielder is after a long deal, the AL teams are better suited to make one.

But...Prince has made it clear that he does not want to be a DH. Going to the AL is a double-edged sword for him.
Can you imagine what happened to Adam Dunn happen to him ?

Offline wj73

« Reply #3654: January 21, 2012, 10:24:52 AM »
I'm just feeling more and more that it's not going to be the Nats.  If Prince wanted to be a Nat, he'd have signed a deal by now. 

This whole Prince thing reminds me of the MLB search for where to move the Expos.  As we all remember, Selig was so afraid of Angelos, that he wanted anyplace else but Washington.  But after years of searching, even Reinsdorf's committee concluded that there was no other viable option except DC, and we finally got a team.  But it took years longer than it should have because of Selig's Anyplace But Washington attitude.  I don't know why Prince doesn't want to sign with us, but it's seems pretty clear he's got that same Anyplace But Washington attitude. 

If he signs with the Rangers, I can't wait to kick his butt in the World Series!    :evil:

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #3655: January 21, 2012, 10:26:20 AM »
Okay, so he writes DRAFT stuff, big deal, he's not a team insider or anything like that. Hell I have people who work for the Redskins that give me info all the time. I'm sure I could write for ESPN had they had a ESPNDC.

It's better than this Incarcerated Bob Network guy.

incarceratedbob Incarcerated Bob
**BREAKING MLB NEWS**Source: Prince Fielder real "CLOSE" to signing with Texas Rangers ((90%)) #Done :Prince must agree 2some Back-loaded $$

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #3656: January 21, 2012, 10:33:04 AM »
LOL

Love the screen name

Incarcerated Bob

Offline Rasta

« Reply #3657: January 21, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »

-He doesn't just write what teams need what players.   

-In the past he's stated that he talks to multiple scouting directors, GM's and scouts throughout the country.  That's more than having friends who work for a team passing on info.  He's much more connected than that. 

Obviously that's not enough for you but there's no need to belittle the guy when he does have qualifications. 

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #3658: January 21, 2012, 10:38:38 AM »
LOL

Love the screen name

Incarcerated Bob

He's been right about breaking news before, but he might just be a really good guesser.  I think calling Fielder to the Rangers by the end of the weekend is a better than average guess right now.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #3659: January 21, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »
-He doesn't just write what teams need what players.   

-In the past he's stated that he talks to multiple scouting directors, GM's and scouts throughout the country.  That's more than having friends who work for a team passing on info.  He's much more connected than that. 

Obviously that's not enough for you but there's no need to belittle the guy when he does have qualifications. 

He has no more info than anyone else has. Even the big dogs have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #3660: January 21, 2012, 10:45:24 AM »
I'm just feeling more and more that it's not going to be the Nats.  If Prince wanted to be a Nat, he'd have signed a deal by now. 

I agree with this.  IMO Prince is going to put up huge numbers for another 5-6 years and we're going to look back and wonder how much better this team could have been with him.  There just aren't that many players who can put up the kinds of numbers he does. 

I have a bad feeling that Prince will sign in Texas and it will come out after the fact that we only had a 4 to 5 year deal at 20M a year or something that was never going to get him.   IMO, it will end up that we weren't ever really in the race to get him. 

Offline Rasta

« Reply #3661: January 21, 2012, 10:46:36 AM »
He has no more info than anyone else has. Even the big dogs have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

I agree completely.  My only point was that he has credentials while certain folks were making him out to be a fanboy in his basement who knows no one. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #3662: January 21, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »
There was an ESPN guy on Mike and Mike yesterday morning talking about the Rob Lowe rumor that Peyton Manning is retiring and he made an interesting comment about sources in general.  In the past sports writers used to get tips from guys who overheard team executives bragging at parties about upcoming moves and other such inside info from non-insiders, now people go straight to Twitter.  The point being that it is impossible to tell which sources are legitimate but that it is not unusual for professional sports writers to get scooped by some random dude.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #3663: January 21, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
I agree with this.  IMO Prince is going to put up huge numbers for another 5-6 years and we're going to look back and wonder how much better this team could have been with him.  There just aren't that many players who can put up the kinds of numbers he does. 

I have a bad feeling that Prince will sign in Texas and it will come out after the fact that we only had a 4 to 5 year deal at 20M a year or something that was never going to get him.   IMO, it will end up that we weren't ever really in the race to get him. 

I don't care how it ends, it just needs to end. This team with or without him is going to be very good this season. I'm excited about the season and getting to watch one of the best young rotations in baseball flourish. I want Fielder as much as the next person, but we have a lot to look forward to regardless of what happens with Prince.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #3664: January 21, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »
I don't care how it ends, it just needs to end. This team with or without him is going to be very good this season. I'm excited about the season and getting to watch one of the best young rotations in baseball flourish. I want Fielder as much as the next person, but we have a lot to look forward to regardless of what happens with Prince.

I agree.  I just think we would go from being a wildcard contender to being a contender to win the division.  But as you said, I'm so sick of waiting that I just want it to be over.  And I'm one of those who wants us to win a title before Texas does since they were here before.  I really don't want Prince in Texas. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #3665: January 21, 2012, 11:29:53 AM »
Nothing has changed for months now. The Nats are NOT in the mix for Fielder.

Looks like our team is pretty much set. I'd like to see us sign a decent veteran middle reliever (not Todd Coffey) and that's about it.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #3666: January 21, 2012, 11:48:09 AM »
LOL

Love the screen name

Incarcerated Bob

Here he is calling his sources:

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #3667: January 21, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »
Just looking at MLB Trade Rumors, it seems that one of the owners of the Rangers believes that Hamilton is a better fit for Texas and would rather lock him up long term then to sign Fielder.  Getting real tired of this and this is probably the longest it has taken any big name free agent to sign a deal.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/rangers-co-owner-prefers-re-signing-hamilton-to-fielder.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #3668: January 21, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »

I won't be surprised if he signs elsewhere. That said, your post ignores that Boras will do anything to leverage money from teams. Holding out as long as possible, while floating rumors about possibilities like mystery teams, opt-outs, short term deals, etc.

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #3669: January 21, 2012, 12:46:20 PM »
He's been right about breaking news before, but he might just be a really good guesser.  I think calling Fielder to the Rangers by the end of the weekend is a better than average guess right now.

He use to get info from my Redskins guy to break news. Apparently his father use to be someone big. Like an agent or something so he knows people who work with everyone else and that's how he gets his info.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3670: January 21, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »
Linty - what would be the odds of the Indians getting involved?   Is there any chance they'd up their payroll?  If they can void Carmona's contract, that frees up $7 MM, and have minimal commitments for next year.  LaPorta could always be moved, or perhaps they could send Pronk somewhere if they eat money.  They have a better shot at Detroit this year than most of the other Central teams.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #3671: January 21, 2012, 01:40:36 PM »
Linty - what would be the odds of the Indians getting involved?   Is there any chance they'd up their payroll?  If they can void Carmona's contract, that frees up $7 MM, and have minimal commitments for next year.  LaPorta could always be moved, or perhaps they could send Pronk somewhere if they eat money.  They have a better shot at Detroit this year than most of the other Central teams.

You beat me to it. I am thinking the Indians are the team.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3672: January 21, 2012, 01:45:13 PM »
I am not sure they'd be willing to go over $80MM payroll for 2012.  With Cleveland, I think actual payroll rather than AAV and cap issues matter.  If they set up a deal that was backloaded, it might work, but I don't see Boras wanting a backloaded deal in preference to an opt out.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3673: January 21, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »
No chance. They couldn't come up with 7 million for Carlos Pena. Not enough in the budget. :(

Offline zoom

« Reply #3674: January 21, 2012, 04:04:59 PM »
Kilgore's latest entry:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/the-latest-prince-fielder-chatter-around-the-league/2012/01/21/gIQA0MUdGQ_blog.html

A lot of the same, but i thought Nolan Ryan's comments were interesting.