Should Manny Acta be fired?

Yes
76 (67.3%)
No
18 (15.9%)
Ask me later in the year
19 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Should Manny Acta be fired?  (Read 34329 times)

Offline BerkeleyNat

Re: Should Manny Acta be fired?
« Reply #75: April 07, 2009, 01:53:12 PM »
Sportsfan's posts don't bother me. I would just like to see him get off of Randy St. Claire's ass for one day.  8)

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #76: April 07, 2009, 03:14:17 PM »
to early guys

MrMadison

« Reply #77: April 07, 2009, 06:24:27 PM »
way too early for this.

but if manny cant get 75 wins out of this team, minus Crapbrera, he should not be brought back.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #78: April 07, 2009, 07:11:02 PM »
way too early for this.

but if manny cant get 75 wins out of this team, minus Crapbrera, he should not be brought back.

Pretty sure that's the plan -- considering he's on the last year of his contract -- seems clear to me they'll wait the season out before they make any decisions ...

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #79: April 07, 2009, 08:09:15 PM »
Uh, why are we saving the bullpen with Ronnie Paulino hitting triples off Olsen? Manny is really digging a hole . . .

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #80: April 07, 2009, 08:13:07 PM »
morons. they won't be no where to be found on here after this game after they are proven dead wrong again. laughable. oh it's only two games. blah bala

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #81: April 07, 2009, 08:36:11 PM »
I'm expecting this thread to last a while. :?  A big freak YOU to its creator. :lol:

Hey :D

I don't consider myself too much of a pessimist.  However, I'll have a tough time stomaching another year like last year.  I'm not saying the season is lost, obviously.  But I don't like where this is going so far, and yeah, I'm panicking a little.  Additionally, some of Acta's actions don't help matters, such as starting and leading off Milledge, putting Tavarez in the pen, benching Willingham, etc.

I'd consider myself unstable more than anything ;).  In that I'm probably overly optimistic when we're winning, and overly pessimistic when we're losing.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #82: April 07, 2009, 08:40:39 PM »
oh freak it. the answer to this question is YES YES YES YES! Do it now why we still have a fighting chance.

It's not that we are 0-2 it's how ugly and demoralizing these games have been. completely unacceptable from a Major league team.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #83: April 07, 2009, 08:45:04 PM »
i'm all for the FIRE MANNY movement. my optimism has gone out the window.

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #84: April 07, 2009, 08:53:16 PM »
oh freak it. the answer to this question is YES YES YES YES! Do it now why we still have a fighting chance.

It's not that we are 0-2 it's how ugly and demoralizing these games have been. completely unacceptable from a Major league team.
Especially since this is the same crap we saw all last year. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #85: April 07, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »
Especially since this is the same crap we saw all last year. 
absolutely. you would think this team would learn from the awful starts they have every year out of the gate but nope it's the same old garbage.

Offline PC

« Reply #86: April 07, 2009, 10:06:49 PM »
I might be coming around on this firing Acta thing.  When your team is as bad as this one is, you can't manage by the book.  Managing by the book with this team will lose you 110 games!

You have to manage "outside the box" with this team.  Minimally, you should force players to earn their spots!  There should be no problem having a different starting lineup every week if necessary to find one that can actually works.  Make everybody a little uncomfortable about their position on the team!  Hell, if everybody's a little on edge, maybe they won't be laughing in the dugout when they're down by eight runs!!!

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #87: April 07, 2009, 10:15:54 PM »
Manny making the same ole' excuses in the post game presser. This is getting old.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #88: April 07, 2009, 10:18:35 PM »
Manny making the same ole' excuses in the post game presser. This is getting old.
same old crap. he's just not fit to manage a major league baseball team. nice guy, but way too laid back for this job.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #89: April 07, 2009, 10:18:58 PM »
Manny doesn't give a crap. I wanna see a Charlie Manuel like meltdown. I wanna see some furniture go flying across the lockroom. I wanna see Manny's BFF, Lastings, sitting on the bench. You get the point....

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #90: April 07, 2009, 10:21:19 PM »
Manny doesn't give a crap. I wanna see a Charlie Manuel like meltdown. I wanna see some furniture go flying across the lockroom. I wanna see Manny's BFF, Lastings, sitting on the bench. You get the point....
I've been calling for that from Manny for years. Where's the passion, the intensity? I was stunned last year when we lost 100 games and no one ever got pissed or had a meltdown. usually losing teams get pissed off and start fighting and throwing crap.

but nope not this team of losers. they accept losing because that's all they know.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #91: April 07, 2009, 10:38:46 PM »
i guess Dukes is the only one that knows how to rile up Manny (Pittsburgh incident).

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #92: April 07, 2009, 11:44:45 PM »
Shut up AZ, you had to bring in Dukes

Anyway, after one game, I changed my decision, he needs to be fired!!!

for real though, he needs to get balls and start making drastic moves: Stop being a fanboy of players, stop being an idiot, if Olsens getting pounded in 3 innings take his ass out, hes walking pitchers, giving hits to pitchers, and getting slow ass catchers triples... MIX UP THE ORDER, DO SOMETHING.

Damn, we need some passion in herr. Get Bob Knight and teach him baseball

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #93: April 08, 2009, 05:31:16 AM »
Yeah, yeah. Leave the man be. We are not going to get better by picking up manager scraps this time of year.

I'm not an Acta fan or critic but this year is his put up or shut up year for Manny. If he drops the ball, bring in new managerial blood.

Offline blue911

« Reply #94: April 08, 2009, 07:52:51 AM »
morons. they won't be no where to be found on here after this game after they are proven dead wrong again. laughable. oh it's only two games. blah bala

What exactly are you studying in college?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #95: April 08, 2009, 08:22:20 AM »
What exactly are you studying in college?
]

Apparently not how to spell the word "blah"

MrMadison

« Reply #96: April 08, 2009, 09:10:59 AM »
the thing that really bugs me, is that Manny doesnt *seem* to care AT ALL. either last season or this one.  he may actually care and be very upset, but you'd never think so. and that attitude sets the tone for the team.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #97: April 08, 2009, 09:37:03 AM »
I'm still not really sure where I stand on this one.  People keep urging patience because it's early, but Acta is now 132-193 as manager of the Nationals.  Depending on how you look at it, the fans and ownership here are practicing extreme patience with him. 

I've always been pro-plan, in the sense of building for the long term, but Thom Loverro (who I don't often agree with) laid out a pretty compelling argument on 980 yesterday for why it was folly to set out to build the team in the manner they have.  Basically it's that the disinterest of many fans and the growing discontent of hardcore fans are all part of the risk they took in not just building the team from the ground up, but deciding it was a waste of time to not also try and make the ML product competitive on a yearly basis. Does that make sense?

It's not just that though, cause that's kind of obvious.  It's that because of those decisions they might be forced to make rash decisions they might not otherwise make just to stem the tide of fan discontent.  I do think Manny's job is in jeopardy and it's not too early to say it.  I think there are realistic scenarios in which it could happen in May or even April. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #98: April 08, 2009, 10:30:51 AM »
I've been calling for that from Manny for years. Where's the passion, the intensity? I was stunned last year when we lost 100 games and no one ever got pissed or had a meltdown. usually losing teams get pissed off and start fighting and throwing crap.

So you think we should hire a two-year old to manage the team?

MrMadison

« Reply #99: April 08, 2009, 10:35:35 AM »
the thing that really bugs me, is that Manny doesnt *seem* to care AT ALL. either last season or this one.  he may actually care and be very upset, but you'd never think so. and that attitude sets the tone for the team.

I want to add on to this.

The Manager is the Leader of the Team.  His attitude sets the tone for the players under him.

and Manny's attitude, both last year, and this year is "Eh. Whatever."

I don't want an "Eh. Whatever." Manager. I want a "do your job, or don't have a job" Manager.