Which Team has worst fans?

Yankees
Mets
O's
Red Sox's
Atlanta
Phillie
Cubs

Author Topic: Who has the worst fans?  (Read 4064 times)

natsfan1a

Re: Who has the worst fans?
« Reply #25: May 23, 2007, 11:09:29 AM »
You speaketh the truth, Ali. I've even seen the occasional (dare I say it) obnoxious Nats fan. At one of the games this weekend a group of them was tossing trash on several O's fans who didn't seem to be doing more than sporting their team's apparel and watching the game. One in the guys was also giving the hairy eyeball to a young boy who happened to be wearing O's colors. It's fine to have a rivalry but there's no need to be boorish about it.

LOL...how do you REALLY feel?  Hee...

I agree that there are a LOT of total idjit Cubs "fans" who fit your description, but I've known quite a few of gunuine, old-school real-deal baseball fans who grew up suffering with the Cubs and never stopped.  Ditto with the Yankees, though those aren't the ones one tends to see at games or swaggering around with a NYY hat (my grandfather hardly missed a Yankees game for almost 90 years, and followed most sitting in darkness in his study, listening on the radio).  Assuming that there are both drunken lout pseudo-fans and legit supporters of every team in the league (and this is purely hypothetical, as I am somewhat skeptical that any legit fans exist for a couple of teams in the NL East that shall remain nameless), then to my mind, it comes down to how many turn out at RFK, and how they behave once there.  Phillies and Mets fans make our stadium almost unbearable at times - quite a contrast to, say, Cardinals or Dodgers fans, who also show up in force, but who are there to root for their team (fair enough) while being respectful of the home crowd.  The latter appear to be there for the game, not for the beers and the brawls.

The visiting fans phenomenon will always be an issue that we'll have to deal with so long as Washington remains the nation's capital...hell, a team from North Dakota or American Samoa would have a local fan base that would show up at RFK, albeit not like a plague of locusts (e.g. Mutts)   

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #26: May 23, 2007, 11:11:50 AM »
Assuming that there are both drunken lout pseudo-fans and legit supporters of every team in the league (and this is purely hypothetical, as I am somewhat skeptical that any legit fans exist for a couple of teams in the NL East that shall remain nameless)

Are you speaking of Marlins fans?  While and endangered species, my oldest, dearest friend (we grew up together in Herndon from the age of 3 when our families moved in next door to one another in 1963) now both live down here in FL and make up about 67% of the fan base.  He lives in Vero Beach (about 140 miles from the stadium), and I live in Boca Raton (35 miles from the stadium), so I get to a lot more games than he does.  Therefore, if you make a complaint about THE Marlins fan, it's almost gotta be me.

But, we're both also old Senators fans and love the Nats, too.  We were going to go up to catch some Nats games for Fathers' Day.  But he owns an insurance company, and FL is making a mess of homeowners insurance, so he won't be free until July 1.  So, we're going up for the Rockies series in July.  We hope to make the series with the Astro's prior to that, too.   Since the Nats will be down here the weekend before the Astros and Rockies series, we could end up seeing them 10 days in a row (although we'd be respectfully rooting for the "bad guys" the first three games).

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #27: May 23, 2007, 11:22:10 AM »
Hm, any anecdotes about Phillies fans?  I've yet to go to RFK for a Phillies game.

I've been to most of them; the ones near my season-ticket seat in 311 have been loud but rarely, if ever, over the top.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #28: May 23, 2007, 11:35:55 AM »
NO!  Absolutely not.  I can count on one hand the number of Marlins fans I've seen at RFK (or Pro Player, for that matter LOL), and they were fine.  I'm just amazed that someone down there hasn't taken out a hit on Loria by now!

Are you speaking of Marlins fans? 

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #29: May 23, 2007, 11:57:06 AM »
Although I agree with everything said in this thread, the term is not "classy fan" or "respectful fan".  The term is simply fan, which is short for fanatic.  And like it or not, the Mets, Phillies, Cubs, Red Sox, and Yankees have many more fans than we do.  And while Nats fans (including me) don't like them, they are fans.  Showing up at the ballpark and cheering your team is being a good fan.  Watching your team on TV is being a good fan.  And as much as everyone should behave properly at the park, a fan is a fan.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #30: May 23, 2007, 12:37:50 PM »
At the games I've been to, the Mets fans have actually been the most obnoxious!!  If I could have punched someone's lights out, it would have been one of those drunk jerks!!!  Esp. at last year's season opener!  Phillies' fans are probably just as bad.  And the O's fans?  I met some really nice ones in the stands, but I and dealt w/ some really borish ones too!!!  SO, how do I vote?  I think I'm gonna have to go w/ the Mets jerks!

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #31: May 23, 2007, 12:58:17 PM »
The only fans I've found intolerable, at RFK, were Bravos fans.  They were drunk, loud, obnoxious, profane, and dumb.  That was the worst experience I've had there - being near Braves fans.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #32: May 23, 2007, 02:29:12 PM »
The only fans I've found intolerable, at RFK, were Bravos fans.  They were drunk, loud, obnoxious, profane, and dumb.  That was the worst experience I've had there - being near Braves fans.

Nope, those were Cubs fans.  They were just too drunk to realize they were at the wrong game.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #33: May 24, 2007, 09:30:09 AM »
NOLD's thread on Schneider's HR reminded me of an incident I saw on TV.  In Wrigley, the Marlins hit a HR.  A Cubs fan caught the ball, snuck an old crapola ball out of his jacket, threw the crapola onto the field, and pocketed the HR ball.  It was all caught by the cameraman.   Classic Cubbies.

ncg1983

« Reply #34: May 24, 2007, 01:31:26 PM »
philly fans are the worst, no matter what the sport is.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #35: May 24, 2007, 05:20:41 PM »
NOLD's thread on Schneider's HR reminded me of an incident I saw on TV.  In Wrigley, the Marlins hit a HR.  A Cubs fan caught the ball, snuck an old crapola ball out of his jacket, threw the crapola onto the field, and pocketed the HR ball.  It was all caught by the cameraman.   Classic Cubbies.

actually I find that rather clever.   :lol:

Offline NatMan

« Reply #36: May 25, 2007, 12:50:41 PM »
Philty fans are first........Just like eagle fans they truely are the scum of the world
wOes fans .........well is there really much that needs to be said about the mullet head dundulk losers from up north.......what a sorry bunch of losers still worshiping the yesteryears of CAL and Eddie.......

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #37: May 26, 2007, 10:49:03 AM »
I'm sticking with Cub Fans.

Because of the offseason moves to spend insane money in stupid ways, and hire a buffoon of a manager, I really can't help but hope that the Cubs season is a disaster. It is nothing about them per se, it is really just about poetic justice.

I rarely check out other team boards, but do after certain times just to see what the chatter is like. If you want some good laughs, check out the mlb fan forum for the Cubbies. There is a combination of gloom and doom, calls for Larry Rothchild's head (a smart suggestion BTW), calls for the exorcism of curses and the burning of Wrigley field, and the blissful ignorance and acceptance of losing.

One fan actually objected to the negativity being spread by those tired of losing, claiming that the team was trying hard. But the kicker was someone who actually tried to convince people that the losing shouldn't be a big deal because "They had around 8000 fans at the away game. At least we travel well." Good God.

There are some really funny threads.

joker

« Reply #38: May 26, 2007, 05:40:03 PM »
boston fans. I am SO sick of hearing about the curse, the comeback etc. NO ONE CARES

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #39: May 28, 2007, 08:26:38 AM »
My personal worst experiences have been Mets, Phillies, and than Orioles fans. I have never had a problem with Cubs fans but I was one of them until the Nats came to DC. I am from Chicago.

Exorcism, rehab, or both?

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #40: May 28, 2007, 09:54:27 AM »

:lol:

Sorry NatsAddict, but the Cubs are my second-favorite team.

« Reply #41: May 28, 2007, 10:48:17 AM »
Orlando Cabrera of the Angels chimes in:
=========================

Cabrera rips Yankees fans
'They don't appreciate good baseball,' says Angels shortstop, who praises fans in Anaheim and Boston.
By Bill Shaikin, Times Staff Writer
May 27, 2007

NEW YORK — The New York Yankees might have the most fans, but they don't have the best fans. So says Angels shortstop Orlando Cabrera.

"They don't appreciate good baseball," he said. "They just appreciate the Yankees beating up on everybody."

The Yankees are on pace to lead the major leagues in attendance for the fifth consecutive season, with fans spoiled by a team that has won 26 World Series championships and has not missed the playoffs since 1993.

But those fans can turn venomous toward opposing players — and even toward their own, when performance is not in line with expectations.

Cabrera played in Boston, another city with a loud and loyal fan base, before joining the Angels. He gives Red Sox and Angels fans high marks for supporting the home team through tough times and applauding great plays by the visiting team.

"In Boston, they admire baseball," Cabrera said. "In Anaheim, those fans are some of the best in baseball. They know you care there. They know you can't do it every day. I appreciate that.

"These people here, they're mean. And they're really mean to the other team."

Cabrera said the hostility in the stands has increased this season, with the Yankees below .500.

"When we came here last year, they were in first place, so it was OK," he said. "Now they're just looking for an excuse."

He is not bothered, he says, by whatever language Yankees fans direct his way.

"When people say [stuff], they only motivate me," he said. "They're bad losers."

joker

« Reply #42: May 28, 2007, 10:59:53 AM »
yeah i would be angry to if i was a yankees fan, all than money wasted

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #43: May 28, 2007, 11:19:44 AM »
Yankee fans share a trait with Phillies fans. The mindset is to boo and harrass their own players anytime they don't succeed, but then cheer and be almost over the top in their praise when a player does anything good. It is a behavior that demonstrates a complete ignorance of and lack of appreciation for the game of baseball.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #44: May 28, 2007, 11:19:54 AM »
I said Yankees fans, if only because they feel the World Series is entitled to them every year and the way that they act. So many bandwagon fans and they expect so much production and act like their team is the best ever. I know there are a lot of hard-core fans for any team who are mild-mannered and not bad. But when most of the fanbase is a bunch of arrogant jerks who think they should get the WS every year....

I have little experience with other fans, though. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Cubs or Mets fans up there. There's always something going on with them.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #45: May 28, 2007, 11:39:38 AM »
I said Yankees fans, if only because they feel the World Series is entitled to them every year and the way that they act. So many bandwagon fans and they expect so much production and act like their team is the best ever. I know there are a lot of hard-core fans for any team who are mild-mannered and not bad. But when most of the fanbase is a bunch of arrogant jerks who think they should get the WS every year....

I have little experience with other fans, though. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Cubs or Mets fans up there. There's always something going on with them.

This is the exact logic as to why Red Sox fans suck also.  Sox and Yankee fans are so much alike.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #46: May 28, 2007, 01:16:59 PM »
boston fans. I am SO sick of hearing about the curse, the comeback etc. NO ONE CARES

Yeah thank God the curse is no longer existant. The comback was pretty money, but still, it's used a lot.

Sox and Yanks fans are very alike. The only difference is that the Sox fans I know aren't as obnoxious and don't always have that self-entitlement that Yanks fans have.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #47: May 28, 2007, 02:41:53 PM »

No problem mon. I am an unrepentant Cubs fan but the Cubs are now my #2 team. (:

I'll be outnumbered the week of the 4th, my family is coming to town, but I love this game and will just have to cheer louder.

« Reply #48: May 28, 2007, 03:55:09 PM »
There are some really funny threads.

I agree and some pretty sad ones too like "The Official Predict How the Cubs are Going to Lose" thread.  There are some sourpusses on this board but thankfully a thread like that hasn't been spawned here yet and I am pretty sure one will never be spawned here...I hope.

I also notice Steve Bartman's name keeps coming up in their conversations.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #49: May 28, 2007, 06:32:20 PM »
I wouldn't have a clue which of those team's fans are worst.  I dont' get to experience a lot of fan bases of pro teams but I could give you a rundown of who has the worst fans in the Big 12.