Author Topic: Nationals Games & Metro  (Read 4221 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Nationals Games & Metro
« Reply #25: August 24, 2012, 09:44:19 AM »
I'm a DC basher but DC already bought them a stadium.    Maybe the revenue can come from the Nats.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #26: August 24, 2012, 09:46:04 AM »
I drive because I can not rely on metro.
Their service is poor, their cars are crowded, they are on time only about 75% of the time.
Even parking in HH I can get home 45 minutes before metro would get me there.
Metro is not your friend DC

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #27: August 24, 2012, 10:00:11 AM »
An article on the Nats and DC metro -

http://unsuckdcmetro.blogspot.com/2012/08/natsmetro-stories-dont-add-up.html

-------------

Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Nats/Metro Stories don't Add Up

Yes, the Nats should fork over what basically amounts to pocket change to keep the Metro open for their fans, but Metro is not exactly playing ball with their customers either, according to Eric:

I don't know why they're not telling the truth, but just wanted to tell you that the Nats and/or Metro is not telling the truth about the times of the last train leaving Navy Yard.

Two pieces of evidence: The Metro website says the last train leaves Navy Yard for Greenbelt at 11:39 but has "no Red Line transfer."

But that's impossible, since the last train leaves Gallery Place, the Red Line transfer station, for Shady Grove at 12:02 and Glenmont at 12:08.

The ride from Navy Yard to Gallery Place is eight minutes.

The math doesn't add up.

There definitely is another train that leaves after the 11:20 train that they are telling fans to take, and it should transfer to the Red Line.

Even more evidence that there's something going on: If you look at all the Green Line stations after Navy Yard (toward Branch Avenue), they all say that the last train to Greenbelt leaves later, 11:24 from Branch Avenue, 11:37 from Congress Heights, etc. And unlike when the last train is listed for Navy Yard and Waterfront, it doesn't say that there is "no Red Line transfer."

Odd, isn't it, that there's no warning about not being to transfer to the Red Line from the Green Line on the last train if you get on farther up the line, but if you get on at the Ballpark, all of a sudden you can't transfer (or Metro is just really screwing with their customers.)

Of course you can transfer--it just seems that Metro doesn't want to possibly not be able to fit everyone on the last train, or they're lazy, or something--but they're not telling the truth.

Personally, I feel that this is on the Lerners--Leonis, Snyder and various organizations in town being willing to pay if they want to keep the train open.

Only the Nats owners are apparently too cheap--or just don't care enough about the fans--to keep the Metro open on the rare night that something like this happens.

But I still am puzzled by why Metro/the Nats are telling people to leave 20 minutes earlier than they really have to.
Posted by Unsuck DC Metro at 8:30 AM   

Offline blue911

« Reply #28: August 24, 2012, 10:17:04 AM »
Look at the per seat cost for playoff games. I would think there is enough profit built in to offset the $30K fee.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #29: August 24, 2012, 10:18:53 AM »
Look at the per seat cost for playoff games. I would think there is enough profit built in to offset the $30K fee.

Does that all go to the home team or is there a revenue sharing element to it?

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #30: August 24, 2012, 10:22:03 AM »
I drive because I can not rely on metro.
Their service is poor, their cars are crowded, they are on time only about 75% of the time.
Even parking in HH I can get home 45 minutes before metro would get me there.
Metro is not your friend DC

Me too! And if you're going with family or friends, even the some of the more expensive lots are cheaper than taking metro to the end of the line.  As screwed up as it sounds, driving is a more pleasent, less stressful, and less costly alternative than metro. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #31: August 24, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »
Does that all go to the home team or is there a revenue sharing element to it?

I would imagine that the revenue sharing % is the same in post season.

Offline loshjott

« Reply #32: August 24, 2012, 11:09:01 AM »
I live in Silver Spring and driving to mid-week games is just about impossible. I was not there Monday night but I'm sure I would have left early to catch the metro and would have been fuming. Weekends I drive and park in the lot on S. Capitol under the overpass. I'm usually with one of my kids only so for the two of us Metro is not much more $ than parking.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #33: August 24, 2012, 12:38:05 PM »
Was there a typo here ?  1500 times $2.10 is only $3150 - not close to $29K.  However, it's probably alot more than 1500 riders after a late playoff game.

One idea would be for metro to add a surcharge to the fare - maybe another $1 higher or the fare that's used during rush hour.  It would take some programming into the system and there may not be enough time now.  But if they charge rush hour fares, the programming change for after midnight fare would be minimal.  They could continue this on weekends as well.

I find it hard to believe that Metro does not make the $29K back from riders after midnight.  It's only 1500 riders at $2.10, and if you are talking Silver Spring, Bethesda, King Street, and Ballston, and further out, then it is an even higher fare.

This really sounds like an opportunity for Ballpark Bus.  hope those guys make a killing.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #34: August 24, 2012, 12:46:11 PM »
freak the Lerners and freak Metro.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: August 24, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »
Was there a typo here ?  1500 times $2.10 is only $3150 - not close to $29K.  However, it's probably alot more than 1500 riders after a late playoff game.

One idea would be for metro to add a surcharge to the fare - maybe another $1 higher or the fare that's used during rush hour.  It would take some programming into the system and there may not be enough time now.  But if they charge rush hour fares, the programming change for after midnight fare would be minimal.  They could continue this on weekends as well.

why would they bother? there is a system in place that every other team in town has managed to utilize- metro should have to reprogram fares (wouldn't that have to go through public comment...) because the lerners are too cheap to put 30k into escrow

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #36: August 24, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
Easy to say Freak Lerners and Metro, but I dont have a choice.

I live in Manassas and work at 10th and Penn.  No parking available in my building and a dislike of fighting traffic in DC.  I take metro into work every day!  The park is only 3 stops from where I work.  It would be really dumb to take the train all the way back to Vienna and try to fight traffic to find parking back to DC. 

Public transportation allways takes more time because of all the stops along the way.  No sh_t Sherlock!  However, crowds or no (and Ive found a way to avoid crowded cars); they get me where I need to go!

Either all communities need to pitch in or the Lerners have to open their tight purse like Leonsis did fir that 3 overtime game I went to last year!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #37: August 24, 2012, 01:15:16 PM »
Yes, Mathguy, I'm back in my "I haven't cracked a math book in 35 years" mode.  It's just an order of magnitude. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #38: August 24, 2012, 01:42:52 PM »
Easy to say Freak Lerners and Metro, but I dont have a choice.[...]

Neither do I. For a lot of people it's public transit or bust.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #39: August 24, 2012, 01:47:57 PM »
You have the right idea though.  15-20,000 fans at $2.10/ride would bring in $31,500-$42,000 and easily cover the $29K cost.  If 35-40,000 fans go to a playoff game, can we guess that 1/2 of them ride metro ?  If so, this should cover the costs.

Yes, Mathguy, I'm back in my "I haven't cracked a math book in 35 years" mode.  It's just an order of magnitude. 

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #40: August 24, 2012, 01:50:25 PM »

Certainly begs the question of where they came up with the $29k/hour number doesn't it? It'd be unreasonable to assume that an extra order of magnitude, i.e. 15k riders would be departing from a very late game on metro....that'd assume that one third of all people at Nats park got there on the metro...as I recall the number quoted from Metro for ridership following a Sunday night game vs. the Fillies was 400 plus - using the $2 cost for a fare postulated by JCA, that leaves the Nats on the hook for $28.1k...I'm not seeing the demand signal from a Nats perspective, there is nothing but cost here and the one who gets the black eye for not providing service is Metro, not the Nats

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41: August 24, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »
I don't think there would be that many taking the Metro.  IIRC, on Monday night, they said there were a few dozen who missed the trains.  what we are talking about is making it so no one would leave early by having late trains available.  Metro probably has a good idea of game / nongame usage of Navy Yard just how many people attend.  Metro only gets an increment from the people who otherwise would drive or not attend if there were no post game guarantee.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: August 24, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »
i just don't understand why the lerners think they'll get special treatment

D.C. Council member Jack Evans (D-Ward 2), who is a season ticket holder, noted that both the Capitals and Redskins have arranged with Metro to continue service in case of late games. That includes making a $29,500 deposit, which can be reimbursed according to the amount of passenger revenue generated during the extended hours.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/2012/08/23/b1377a08-ed69-11e1-a80b-9f898562d010_story.html?hpid=z3

Offline blue911

« Reply #43: August 24, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »
Maybe they could pass a collection basket in lieu of the Presidents Race

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44: August 24, 2012, 02:02:24 PM »
Maybe Lincoln should institute an income tax and print paper money.

Online HalfSmokes

Offline blue911

« Reply #46: August 24, 2012, 02:12:44 PM »
Or sell lap dances in between innings.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #47: August 24, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »
Easy to say Freak Lerners and Metro, but I dont have a choice.

I live in Manassas and work at 10th and Penn.  No parking available in my building and a dislike of fighting traffic in DC.  I take metro into work every day!  The park is only 3 stops from where I work.  It would be really dumb to take the train all the way back to Vienna and try to fight traffic to find parking back to DC. 

Public transportation allways takes more time because of all the stops along the way.  No sh_t Sherlock!  However, crowds or no (and Ive found a way to avoid crowded cars); they get me where I need to go!

Either all communities need to pitch in or the Lerners have to open their tight purse like Leonsis did fir that 3 overtime game I went to last year!

Oh I don't have a choice either. I just meant that both sides are pathetic misers on this issue.

But hey, at least you live in the DC area. I'll be commuting from the eastern shore for any playoff games. :hang:

Offline heeman82

« Reply #48: August 24, 2012, 03:08:44 PM »
Maybe they could pass a collection basket in lieu of the Presidents Race

:w:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #49: August 24, 2012, 04:53:29 PM »
Neither do I. For a lot of people it's public transit or bust.

I don't have a choice either since I have to drink 72oz of beer at the game