Author Topic: The Empty Set - HoF Class of 2013  (Read 5813 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2013
« Topic Start: January 09, 2013, 09:41:07 AM »
Walker I think is also a suspect.  I'm a Walker fan. 

I wonder if modern, shorter peak, pre-steroid guys should be reconsidered for the Hall.  Dale Murphy and Don Mattingly come to mind.  Murphy's back to back MVPs and his power in CF make him kind of exceptional relative to his peers, and the travel demands now probably wear on modern players who play naturally more than 50s and earlier travel.  Maybe you need to measure the 60s - mid-80s offensive players, and the post-2005 players, on the metric system rather than the same scale as pre-60s and steroid era guys.  I don't know what I really think about this.

Well, here's one thing your post brought to mind. I'd note I've totally reversed my opinion on this. I still think Mark McG getting in would be a travesty and anathema to my beliefs on the game. He was arrogant, lied, broke a record he had no business breaking by cheating. Screw him, and screw the god damned Cardinals for hiring him as a hitting coach. I hate the team enough for our final game this year, but he pours acid into a gaping wound. As much as l dislike him, logically I couldn't argue against his election so long as I believe the following, which I currently do. I think that's actually a main issue: Clemens and Bonds and Marky are detested and iconic of PEDs, which is why no one labeled a suspected user will see their name enshrined.

But most players did it in the 90s. My thoughts - We allow freaking dead ball era players in. Their stats sure as crap aren't equatable. HoF should be in perspective of the era. The 90s were filled with cheating jerks, but since most did so then it's a level playing field. It's not like the top twenty players cheated and everyone else didn't. Most did, most stats are relative to other PED users, and so these "suspected' guys don't really have the massive advantage over everyone else. They just performed well enough that attention fell on them while Mr. .220 Career PED went unnoticed.