Author Topic: Gio to Nats  (Read 37957 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Re: Gio to Nats
« Reply #500: December 23, 2011, 11:20:50 PM »
I do love this trade

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #501: December 23, 2011, 11:23:56 PM »
This trade is great. When was the last time the Nats made a big trade to improve the majpr league team? Soriano?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #502: December 23, 2011, 11:46:02 PM »
This trade is great. When was the last time the Nats made a big trade to improve the majpr league team? Soriano?

The trade for Kearns and Lopez was pretty big at the time, before all the players on both sides fizzled out.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #503: December 23, 2011, 11:47:25 PM »
The trade for Kearns and Lopez was pretty big at the time, before all the players on both sides fizzled out.

Those were the days

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #504: December 23, 2011, 11:50:10 PM »
Those were the days

The Reds complained that Jimbo robbed them, yeah we really made out with those useless bums.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #505: December 24, 2011, 12:02:27 AM »
RD, I'm surprised by your post, because I do feel that the sentiment has been largely positive towards the trade. Initially, it felt a bit much, but I'd say 80-85% of posters are happy with it at this point.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #506: December 24, 2011, 12:24:30 AM »
RD, I'm surprised by your post, because I do feel that the sentiment has been largely positive towards the trade. Initially, it felt a bit much, but I'd say 80-85% of posters are happy with it at this point.

:shrug: he only read the first few pages with the initial shock reactions.  Funny about the comment on negativity, as it seems to me a majority of the initial "might be too much" crowd were SSS.  As the shock wore off, and the additional detail that we got a minor league pitcher in return as well, most people now seem to be positive about the deal.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #507: December 24, 2011, 01:03:43 AM »
And without a doubt, this place blows any other site out of the water in terms of how negative people are.

I'm willing to put up with it because I can't imagine any other sports forum on the internet where somebody would correct me on the middle names of obscure 18th-century German philosophers. Or argue with me about which Phineas and Ferb character is the coolest.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #508: December 24, 2011, 01:06:18 AM »
I'm willing to put up with it because I can't imagine any other sports forum on the internet where somebody would correct me on the middle names of obscure 18th-century German philosophers. Or argue with me about which Phineas and Ferb character is the coolest.

freak you, houston-nat.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #509: December 24, 2011, 01:17:24 AM »
Wait who was the philosopher? Kant?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #510: December 24, 2011, 04:19:38 AM »
Or make a LEGO minifig of you.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #511: December 24, 2011, 08:35:27 AM »
Needle in a haystack.

I agree, there are some very intelligent posters here and people you can tell know the game, and follow it. But they are heavily outweighed by the people who's natural disposition is to nag and moan about a move. Later on, some of those people come to their senses, but it's difficult to join a discussion, 10, 15 pages deep and find the two or three posts that actually include legitimate insight or opinion.

Imma let you finish but let me stop you right there.  You realize this is an interwebz forum about a team with a Q rating equal to that of Andrew McCarthy, correct?  If not for these people you're whining about, this place would be deader than a Catholic Church in Squirrel Hill.  I'm not sure if you've noticed this or not but there are, at a minimum, two posters on here that occasional break "character" and post something insightful.  Is it difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff on those posters?  No doubt.  Without those people this place would be your typical needledick interwebz fWAR/BABIP horsecrap time waster that some of us would rather be subject to reruns of "thirtysomething" than read.

I don't even reach a second page on most of the threads, because the first page just kills any desire you have to discuss the topic with people.

There's an ignore button, use it.  If not, why complain? 

This team is heading in the right direction and just made a move to improve the club right now, but still factors in being a contender 3/4/5 years from now. People should be loving the trade.

Are you trolling here?

Offline blue911

« Reply #512: December 24, 2011, 08:50:44 AM »
To quote the great Rene Descartes: " I whine, therefore I am".

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #513: December 24, 2011, 09:02:45 AM »
To quote the great Rene Descartes: " I whine, therefore I am".

I remember that one: "Whinito ergo sum" :)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #514: December 24, 2011, 09:05:19 AM »
Imma let you finish but let me stop you right there. 

:lmao:

Are you trolling here?

Why would he be trolling? Our window is just opening. Any major move that gets done this off-season should help us not only in 2012 but several years going forward.

Offline blue911

« Reply #515: December 24, 2011, 09:06:01 AM »
Man I hope nobody's waiting for me to post something insightful. About all I can come up with is: "I like donuts", "Moar Bewbs" and "Um....beer"

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #516: December 24, 2011, 09:09:22 AM »
Why would he be trolling? Our window is just opening. Any major move that gets done this off-season should help us not only in 2012 but several years going forward.

There's no debating that, adding Gio and Strasburg and Zimmermann coming back at least 80% is going to be bad freaking ass.  My comment was more about the "We'll be competing in X+2 years" mantra.  Feel me?

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #517: December 24, 2011, 09:17:05 AM »
I like the deal. The one guy I'll miss is Peacock and that's more a personal reason. I had the chance to watch him develop down in Potomac including one game I watched with his father. His story is what I've always enjoyed most about the minor leagues, the guy who develops out of nowhere.

Getting Gonzalez is a really good move for the Nats over the next four seasons. Best case scenario, they have the mirror image of the big three Oakland had in the nineties (Zito, Hudson & Mulder).

And for those that are concerned about the cost in prospects, there's always the chance the Nats flip any or all of the three guys for a haul of prospects in three seasons. Especially if the farm can continue to churn out guys like Peacock, Milone, etc

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #518: December 24, 2011, 09:18:46 AM »
This ain't a nag, just an observation.   There ain't a mensa test for this board.   There's no prerequisite that you have to "know" baseball.   It's a fan forum.   Some folks like to nag, some folks like to "talk" baseball, some folks even know what WAR is.   It's all good.   Enjoy it.   Quit nagin' about people nagin'.    Use ignore  <---   Chief told me about that feature :)

One thing is certain  ...   We all like our Nats !!!!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #519: December 24, 2011, 09:19:43 AM »
Best case scenario, they have the mirror image of the big three Oakland had in the nineties (Zito, Hudson & Mulder).

:az: :az: :az: :az:

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #520: December 24, 2011, 10:16:29 AM »
I like the deal. The one guy I'll miss is Peacock and that's more a personal reason. I had the chance to watch him develop down in Potomac including one game I watched with his father. His story is what I've always enjoyed most about the minor leagues, the guy who develops out of nowhere.

Getting Gonzalez is a really good move for the Nats over the next four seasons. Best case scenario, they have the mirror image of the big three Oakland had in the nineties (Zito, Hudson & Mulder).

And for those that are concerned about the cost in prospects, there's always the chance the Nats flip any or all of the three guys for a haul of prospects in three seasons. Especially if the farm can continue to churn out guys like Peacock, Milone, etc

I'm totally coming around on this trade.  Especially if the money saved from adding a cost controlled pitcher like Gio is put towards other areas of need and used on a Zim extension. 

Or maybe they throw all that money at a true ace next offseason.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #521: December 24, 2011, 10:22:03 AM »

Or maybe they throw all that money at a true ace next offseason.

Yu darvish :az:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #522: December 24, 2011, 10:41:20 AM »
found this on the half street blog - good point:  #Reds traded 3 #1 picks + #MLB starter for Mat Latos; Nats traded 2 #4s, a #10 & a #41 for Gio Gonzalez.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #523: December 24, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »
Wait who was the philosopher? Kant?

No, I mean, really freaking obscure: Johann Gottlieb Fichte.

Or make a LEGO minifig of you.

Yes! So true!

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #524: December 24, 2011, 12:23:18 PM »
clearly, it's Ferb.