Author Topic: Nationals-Orioles Rivalry?  (Read 11297 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Nationals-Orioles Rivalry?
« Reply #100: February 22, 2013, 07:11:44 AM »
Didn't let Tomboys play baseball at 10 yr old.  It was bad enough I liked Tonka trucks and GI JOE "action figures"

That sucks, when I played little league we always had a girl or two on the team. My youngest one loves playing baseball so I expect that one day she'll be the only girl on a team full of boys.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #101: February 22, 2013, 09:50:39 AM »
And eventually she'll move on to softball which the way girls play it is a fascinating sport. Accelerated action baseball, with team cheers.

That sucks, when I played little league we always had a girl or two on the team. My youngest one loves playing baseball so I expect that one day she'll be the only girl on a team full of boys.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #102: February 22, 2013, 10:49:35 AM »
My youngest one loves playing baseball so I expect that one day she'll be the only girl on a team full of boys.

Get your daughter playing softball. Believe me, you're not doing her any favor by keeping her playing baseball beyond 10.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #103: February 22, 2013, 10:56:24 AM »
Get your daughter playing softball. Believe me, you're not doing her any favor by keeping her playing baseball beyond 10.

She'll pick on her own, I was pushing her towards soccer and she switched to baseball.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #104: February 22, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »
She'll pick on her own, I was pushing her towards soccer and she switched to baseball.

I'm surprised she hasn't gone LAX- every kid in my neighborhood seems to constantly playing in their yards

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #105: February 22, 2013, 10:59:38 AM »
I'm surprised she hasn't gone LAX- every kid in my neighborhood seems to constantly playing in their yards
Not sure what it says about me that my first thought was - seriously - "They can't just move to Los Angeles."

Offline Ray D

« Reply #106: February 22, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »
I was pushing her towards soccer and she switched to baseball.

Oh well between soccer and baseball, no contest.

I'm very prejudiced against soccer.  Hate it.  Godam youth soccer teams take up all the baseball and softball fields. 

And don't get me started on adult soccer.  It's nearly impossible to hold a practice at nearby fields because of all the ad hoc soccer going on, even when I have a permit for the field.  So we play anyway and hit the ball into the soccer game, inevitably a soccer player gets hit in the head, and a fight breaks out.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #107: February 22, 2013, 11:04:52 AM »
Not sure what it says about me that my first thought was - seriously - "They can't just move to Los Angeles."

She's just four, I don't think she's even seen Lacrosse since I don't watch it.

I have been telling her that we should go Hollywood and make some money like Lindsay Lohan and her daddy.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #108: February 22, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »
You must love all the cricket games that are taking over parks along the 270 corridor

I'm very prejudiced against soccer.  Hate it.  Godam youth soccer teams take up all the baseball and softball fields. 

And don't get me started on adult soccer.  It's nearly impossible to hold a practice at nearby fields because of all the ad hoc soccer going on, even when I have a permit for the field.  So we play anyway and hit the ball into the soccer game, inevitably a soccer player gets hit in the head, and a fight breaks out.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #109: February 22, 2013, 11:07:53 AM »
She's just four,

Oh, I thought she was older. Definitely play baseball, until 8 or 9. Then softball.   There isn't any decent softball played under age 8.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #110: February 22, 2013, 11:08:15 AM »

I used to play basketball on a court in Fairfax City that was next to a softball field, about once an hour a ball would hit the court on the fly. Never saw anyone get hit but that sucked.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #111: February 22, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »
You must love all the cricket games that are taking over parks along the 270 corridor

Haven't seen that, wasn't aware of it.  I'm closer to DC.   However, watching Downton Abbey the other night, there was a cricket game. Looked like fun.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #112: February 22, 2013, 11:16:32 AM »

:lmao:   I was wondering about the airport reference as well.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #113: February 22, 2013, 11:18:53 AM »
I used to play basketball on a court in Fairfax City that was next to a softball field, about once an hour a ball would hit the court on the fly. Never saw anyone get hit but that sucked.

Off topic  ...  Later in life (40's),  my pop became a golfer.   Playing one day, the group behind him hit into his foursome.   The old man teed it up and hit it back at them.   

Offline Ray D

« Reply #114: February 22, 2013, 11:23:22 AM »
Off topic  ...  Later in life (40's),  my pop became a golfer.   Playing one day, the group behind him hit into his foursome.   The old man teed it up and hit it back at them.   

I always thought golf would be more interesting if they would add a defensive component.  Like trying to block a shot, for instance.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #115: February 22, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »
I always thought golf would be more interesting if they would add a defensive component.  Like trying to block a shot, for instance.

Or, tackle the guy in the tee box or on the green.   ...  another OT   ....    I asked my brother-in-law if he would hunt deer if the deer had rifles.

• babble on
« Reply #116: February 22, 2013, 11:26:01 AM »
A home run at Guy Mason has a very good chance of smashing a windshield.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #117: February 22, 2013, 11:33:11 AM »
A home run at Guy Mason has a very good chance of smashing a windshield.

Or a foul ball could kill an innocent pedestrian walking along Wisconsin ave.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #118: February 22, 2013, 11:45:51 AM »
Or a foul ball could kill an innocent pedestrian walking along Wisconsin ave.

...  after leaving Good Guys or the Grog and Tankard.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #119: February 22, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »
...  after leaving Good Guys or the Grog and Tankard.
No on leaving the Grog and Tankard could be considered innocent.

• babble on
« Reply #120: February 22, 2013, 11:59:22 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Glover Park these days (it's become a bit of a preppie douchebag haven), but there's a pretty interesting mix of commerce along that strip.  You can buy a Vespa, shop for fresh swordfish, go to a tittie bar, and arrange to have your antique persian rugs steam cleaned, all on one block. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #121: February 22, 2013, 12:04:29 PM »
I'm not a big fan of Glover Park these days (it's become a bit of a preppie douchebag haven), but there's a pretty interesting mix of commerce along that strip.  You can buy a Vespa, shop for fresh swordfish, go to a tittie bar, and arrange to have your antique persian rugs steam cleaned, all on one block. 

Is the funeral home still there?

• babble on
« Reply #122: February 22, 2013, 12:14:13 PM »
No, the invasive species known as CVS swallowed it up.

Edit: actually, it might be, CVS may have just taken over the parking lot where they used to dock those giant hearses.

So yeah, one can probably also be embalmed on that block  :lol:
Is the funeral home still there?

Offline nattybred

« Reply #123: February 22, 2013, 01:23:48 PM »
Ali, You mentioned in another thread that you used to sit in 222 L row D.  My partner and I had season tickets there as well from 2008-2011 (moved to 104) and had seats next to two guys named Rich and Pat..  They stopped sitting there in 2011 (I think), but were great neighbors! That you?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #124: February 22, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »
i wish we played the o's more than four times this year ... i wanted a six game sweep of those birds.  still pissed about last year.