Author Topic: Official College World Series thread  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Official College World Series thread
« Reply #25: June 17, 2009, 09:25:12 AM »
Ha! I love O'Connor. Talk about a team that does all the little things. Sky is the limit for that UVA program.

« Reply #26: June 18, 2009, 08:31:45 AM »
Congrats to the Razorbacks for eliminating UVA in a hard fought game. Impressive performance by both teams. :clap:

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #27: June 18, 2009, 09:49:50 AM »
UVA played in two hard fought games yesterday (Arkansas and LSU).

Ryan Schimpf on LSU is an excellent college player, but unfortunately his size (5'9, 181 lbs) will probably prevent him from ever being a good MLB player.  Either way, him and Danny Hultzen have been two of my favorite players to watch thus far in the CWS.  Ackley has been a pleasure to watch as well, he is going to be a star for Seattle one day.

Offline blue911

« Reply #28: June 18, 2009, 09:54:45 AM »
UVA played in two hard fought games yesterday (Arkansas and LSU).

Ryan Schimpf on LSU is an excellent college player, but unfortunately his size (5'9, 181 lbs) will probably prevent him from ever being a good MLB player.  Either way, him and Danny Hultzen have been two of my favorite players to watch thus far in the CWS.  Ackley has been a pleasure to watch as well, he is going to be a star for Seattle one day.

He's at least a foot taller than Dustin Pedroia.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #29: June 18, 2009, 10:38:24 AM »
He's at least a foot taller than Dustin Pedroia.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance, but it seems to be a slim one at his position (corner OF).  He is a very good player, so I wouldn't be surprised if he found his way onto a MLB roster in some role.

Offline blue911

« Reply #30: June 18, 2009, 10:46:54 AM »
I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance, but it seems to be a slim one at his position (corner OF).  He is a very good player, so I wouldn't be surprised if he found his way onto a MLB roster in some role.

he played second as a sophomore, I didn't look past that. The LSU website said he played in the Valley League last season, Do you know anything about that league?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #31: June 18, 2009, 11:01:58 AM »
he played second as a sophomore, I didn't look past that. The LSU website said he played in the Valley League last season, Do you know anything about that league?

Wow, I didn't realize how much I overlooked on his bio.  Judging by his experience, he may be converted to 2B, he has been excellent in the outfield from what I have observed, but I don't know how much that translates to his ability at 2B.  He was drafted in the 5th round by the Blue Jays, so obviously they think that he has a chance to be a decent contributor one day.

As for the Valley League, I am familiar with it.  The majority of players from JMU that play summer ball will go to the Valley League (7 or 8 this year).  It is a mediocre league with very little top tier talent.  It is no surprise that Schimpf was rated the #1 prospect in the Valley League last year by BA.  The one good thing about the league is that the weather is usually beautiful during the summer.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #32: June 18, 2009, 02:55:11 PM »
I love the Valley League as a fan experience.  Mom and Dad live in Stuarts Draft, so they go to most of the Staunton and Waynesboro home games.  It's always a great time, especially when there are guys there that have been following the teams and rooting for them from the same worn out bleachers for decades.  It has something of a Field of Dreams type of feel to it.  I'll be getting to a few of their games in a couple of weeks.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #33: June 18, 2009, 03:27:08 PM »
That game was crazy. I was at the University for orientation yesterday and was able to after orientation come back to the Union to watch the game with a bunch of students and some football players. Was a great game... I don't care if the Corndogs beat our butts, this season has been a success. Those guys put it all on the line... Getting a game tying two run home run with two outs and two strikes in the top of the ninth then Dallas Keuchel, our ace, came in for his first relief appearance of the year with the bases loaded in the ninth to shut it down then carried us through the rest of the game.

I can't wait for Friday. We're out of pitchers, we haven't hit the ball consistently lately, we're fielding terribly, our team captain broke his hand, and we're starting to many frosh and sophomores, but we're about to kick LSU's a$$!

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #34: June 18, 2009, 03:29:40 PM »
You go to Arkansas?  Nice.

I'm going to the ASU/UNC game tonight.  Should be fun.

« Reply #35: June 18, 2009, 04:04:10 PM »
That game was crazy. I was at the University for orientation yesterday and was able to after orientation come back to the Union to watch the game with a bunch of students and some football players. Was a great game... I don't care if the Corndogs beat our butts, this season has been a success. Those guys put it all on the line... Getting a game tying two run home run with two outs and two strikes in the top of the ninth then Dallas Keuchel, our ace, came in for his first relief appearance of the year with the bases loaded in the ninth to shut it down then carried us through the rest of the game.

I can't wait for Friday. We're out of pitchers, we haven't hit the ball consistently lately, we're fielding terribly, our team captain broke his hand, and we're starting to many frosh and sophomores, but we're about to kick LSU's a$$!

Nice, another Arkansas fan. I toured the University once and almost went there myself. They have a nice football field from what I remember. My Grandparents live in Springdale and they used to go to all the football games up until they got to an age where they couldn't handle it anymore.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #36: June 18, 2009, 06:21:38 PM »
You go to Arkansas?  Nice.
Yup. I'll be attendance the Sam Walton School of Business up there next year... I can't wait. I really am pumped. By my sophomore year, I'll be a fixture as the overweight, sun burnt, heavily painted crazed fan on the front row of athletic events who started camping out 72 hours before the game. Just have to maintain passing grades...

D = Degree

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #37: June 18, 2009, 10:25:26 PM »
DPM should be enjoying himself, looks like a good one.  ASU just scored in the 7th to break a 4-4 tie.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #38: June 18, 2009, 10:33:09 PM »
Wow, never mind.  ASU just busted the game open.  9-4.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #39: June 19, 2009, 01:10:12 AM »
DPM should be enjoying himself, looks like a good one.  ASU just scored in the 7th to break a 4-4 tie.
It's always a good time at the CWS.   Looooooooooooooooooong game though.  Good game til ASU broke it open.  ACC shutout yet again.  Only one west coast school left.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #40: June 19, 2009, 07:28:15 AM »
Can't get over that hump.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #41: June 19, 2009, 09:06:28 AM »
Guess I'm rooting for LSU now.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #42: June 19, 2009, 10:47:19 AM »
Guess I'm rooting for LSU now.
Sour grapes? Bleh.

I'm getting very nervous. Dave Van Horn is pulling out everything we got today... Moved some player's around n the infield and starting our closer, a guy who was drafted in the 8th round. Most believe if we start getting into trouble again, he'll bring Dallas Keuchel again and just try to stay alive instead of worrying about who would start a game two. We're in prime "live to fight another day" mode right now. This game is going to be the best remaining game or two of the CWS in my opinion, nothing beats SEC against SEC. This has been a fun ride... And even if we lose, we can remind LSU fans that they lost to Casey Dick. Twice!

Is anyone else starting to feel O.A.R. "This Town"? I'm starting to like it.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #43: June 19, 2009, 10:48:11 AM »
It's always a good time at the CWS.   Looooooooooooooooooong game though.  Good game til ASU broke it open.  ACC shutout yet again.  Only one west coast school left.
Going to be at the game today? If you are, Call Those Hogs all day long... You'll enjoy it.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #44: June 19, 2009, 10:50:02 AM »
Going to be at the game today? If you are, Call Those Hogs all day long... You'll enjoy it.
No, I don't think I'm going to get to anymore of them this year.  I'm in the process of moving so that will dominate the weekend and the championship nights I have other committments. 

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #45: June 19, 2009, 10:56:59 AM »
Sour grapes? Bleh.

My grapes went sour a long time ago.  Right now it's just settling for sloppy seconds thirds fourths fifths.

I'm not a big LSU fan, just more of a fan than of any of the others.  I'll be rooting for whoever wins this bracket against either Texas or ASU.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #46: June 19, 2009, 10:59:06 AM »
My grapes went sour a long time ago.  Right now it's just settling for sloppy seconds thirds fourths fifths.

I'm not a big LSU fan, just more of a fan than of any of the others.  I'll be rooting for whoever wins this bracket against either Texas or ASU.
I don't really care who wins at this point as long as it's not the Longhorns.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #47: June 19, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
No, I don't think I'm going to get to anymore of them this year.  I'm in the process of moving so that will dominate the weekend and the championship nights I have other committments. 
Comeon, you know you want to go. It should get fun in the stands between Arkies and Coona$$es.

But, I agree, please God not the Steer. I hate them so much. Their program is a bunch of POS's... And their coach is just as bad in baseball. They dropped their series against us in Fayetteville this year shortly after we beat their butts in basketball on ESPN claiming our program's hostility towards their's among other things... They almost never play us any more unless it is in football since they know we'll bust their skulls in everything else. I think Dave Van Horn wants to punch that drunk driving rat who coaches UT-Austin, and God knows I do sometimes.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #48: June 19, 2009, 11:30:24 AM »
Comeon, you know you want to go. It should get fun in the stands between Arkies and Coona$$es.
It's not an issue of desire...

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #49: June 19, 2009, 11:32:19 AM »
It's not an issue of desire...
Just messing with you. You're lucky to be in that town.