Author Topic: What are You or your kids going to be for Halloween  (Read 7421 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

Ben 10?  I prefer the classics:  Wolfman, Mummy, Frankenstein, Dracula... killer bunnies...
something SCARY to make them GIVE YOU CANDY!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
They weren't quite cold yet.  they'd already grabbed their sleeping bags!  little goof balls!!!  Their pumpkins are cute and they were jsut so excited!

Ok, now I'm in a quandry.  Andrew's changed his mind again.  He went out w/ Dan tonight and saw a Ben 10 costume at Toys R Us.  (This is a cartoon network show character who can change into a host of aliens to defeat bad aliens.)  Here's the tough part.  The costume's largest size is one size too small for him.  Anyone here close by and handy w/ a possible sewing project?

Is the size the largest the costume comes in or was it the largest size at that location.  If it comes in a larger size but you couldn't find it in Fairfax, let me know and I'll see if its in Manassas.  What size do you need?

Offline CALSGR8

Comic from today's post

[attachment deleted by admin]

natsfan1a

cute

trying something out here...

Offline kimnat

Is the size the largest the costume comes in or was it the largest size at that location.  If it comes in a larger size but you couldn't find it in Fairfax, let me know and I'll see if its in Manassas.  What size do you need?

That was the largest size they make, period.  I'll fill you all in on my solution later.  Gotta help the boy w/ homework.

Offline NatsAddict

Looks like our Halloween is going to be canceled yet again.  Had to start taking down some decorations tonight.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Looks like our Halloween is going to be canceled yet again.  Had to start taking down some decorations tonight.

:icon_question:

Offline NatsAddict

Supposed to ha
:icon_question:

Really windy today, supposed to have gusts to 55 tomorrow, and tropical storm conditions Wednesday night.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Supposed to ha
Really windy today, supposed to have gusts to 55 tomorrow, and tropical storm conditions Wednesday night.

That stinks.  I think it's supposed to be cool and clear here, perfect for walking around with a cup of Wild Turkey and a couple of young jedi.

Offline CALSGR8

Natsaddict - Batten down the hatches!  Its not a Tropical Storm or Hurricane, Is it?

Kim, I looked in Toys R US and Target tonight (I was thinking I needed more candy and one of those pumpkins you plug in).  Costures at this point are pretty scarce.  The kid will have to do with whatever's available which is not much.

TomTerp (or is it Obiwan), train those Jedi well, to never leave the sight of their teacher! 

Offline NatsAddict

That stinks.  I think it's supposed to be cool and clear here, perfect for walking around with a cup of Wild Turkey and a couple of young jedi.

Now that sounds like how to spend a Halloween. 

Offline NatsAddict

Natsaddict - Batten down the hatches!  Its not a Tropical Storm or Hurricane, Is it?

Just a TS, Noel, running between here and The Bahamas.  We'll mostly get rain, 10 to 20 inches on Wednesday. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Now that sounds like how to spend a Halloween. 

I like our neighborhood a lot for trick or treating.  It's very dark, no street lights at all, and the houses are well spaced among wooded lots.  The kids need to be watched and you need a light, but it makes the decorations so much more vivid and, in some cases, alive......

But since the houses are well spaced, it takes quite a while to get around, lots of walking, but I love walking around on a crisp fall night sipping a drink and chatting up the other folks.  So the kids might "only" make it to 15 or 20 houses?  More than enough, they don't each much of that stuff anyway.

Offline kimnat

Ok, here's what I'm gonna do, 'cause it's cheap!  I got a white tee shirt and am gonna cannabalize one of Dan's old black tee shirts.  I use his black collar to place over the white collar.  May even make a front and back "T" cut so it'll have a solid black line going down the front and back.  I got some fabric glue to adhere it.  I'll do the same for the sleeves, just cut the end of the black sleeves and glue them onto the white ones.  I'll print out the logo and tape it on.  He doesnt' need to logo to play Ben10 at home because Ben doesn't wear a logo.  Also got him a dark green/gray pants to go with it.  He's done.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

That's pretty cool  :thumbs:

Offline CALSGR8

Ok, here's what I'm gonna do, 'cause it's cheap!  I got a white tee shirt and am gonna cannabalize one of Dan's old black tee shirts.  I use his black collar to place over the white collar.  May even make a front and back "T" cut so it'll have a solid black line going down the front and back.  I got some fabric glue to adhere it.  I'll do the same for the sleeves, just cut the end of the black sleeves and glue them onto the white ones.  I'll print out the logo and tape it on.  He doesnt' need to logo to play Ben10 at home because Ben doesn't wear a logo.  Also got him a dark green/gray pants to go with it.  He's done.

Cool.  I was even looking for a white T shirt with black on the collar and sleeves for you.  Couldn't find that either.  There's a comic I want to post in a few minutes.  Its from today's Baby Blues comic.  HOld on.  I'll modify shortly.

Offline NatsAddict

I like our neighborhood a lot for trick or treating.  It's very dark, no street lights at all, and the houses are well spaced among wooded lots.  The kids need to be watched and you need a light, but it makes the decorations so much more vivid and, in some cases, alive......

But since the houses are well spaced, it takes quite a while to get around, lots of walking, but I love walking around on a crisp fall night sipping a drink and chatting up the other folks.  So the kids might "only" make it to 15 or 20 houses?  More than enough, they don't each much of that stuff anyway.

You're making me miss VA again.  There is nothing like that down here.  Our neighborhood has some of the largest lots in Boca, and there is about 30' between houses - normal is about 5' - 10'.   Thanks to the hurricanes, we have about 1/3 the trees we had a few years ago.  Almost all of the big old trees are gone.  There are no brick or wood homes.

We do live in a good neighborhood, and I know just about everyone 8 or 10 houses in both directions, and I have lunch or dinner with a couple of them 3 or 4 times a week.  But, as for going around with the kids, Emily is to old for me me tag along.  I  did have my sister's 3 youngest kids living with us for a while (I already raised the two older ones through college), but they went back Friday.  That already had things pretty bummed for Halloween anyway.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
Did anyone read the article in the Post this morning about slutty preteen girls' costumes? :pimp:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/29/AR2007102902095.html

I wouldn't even wear one of those costumes, much less let a 'tween wear one! (My husband thinks I'm too conservative in not wearing such costumes [or lack thereof], but he's never tried to sit on a barstool wearing a short skirt and stilettos!)

Offline kimnat

You're making me miss VA again.  There is nothing like that down here.  Our neighborhood has some of the largest lots in Boca, and there is about 30' between houses - normal is about 5' - 10'.   Thanks to the hurricanes, we have about 1/3 the trees we had a few years ago.  Almost all of the big old trees are gone.  There are no brick or wood homes.

We do live in a good neighborhood, and I know just about everyone 8 or 10 houses in both directions, and I have lunch or dinner with a couple of them 3 or 4 times a week.  But, as for going around with the kids, Emily is to old for me me tag along.  I  did have my sister's 3 youngest kids living with us for a while (I already raised the two older ones through college), but they went back Friday.  That already had things pretty bummed for Halloween anyway.

They're gone already!!!  Wow!  Things musta really have turned around for your sister.  I hope that's a good thing.  Bet it's pretty quiet there now!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Did anyone read the article in the Post this morning about slutty preteen girls' costumes? :pimp:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/29/AR2007102902095.html

I wouldn't even wear one of those costumes, much less let a 'tween wear one! (My husband thinks I'm too conservative in not wearing such costumes [or lack thereof], but he's never tried to sit on a barstool wearing a short skirt and stilettos!)

Look at it this way, 2IPA's.  You appreciate quality beers.  You're witty, charming, and a huge Nats fan.  Even your nickname is beyond reproach.  Your husband is looking at his (perfect wife) checklist, and every box is checked except one....

Offline NatsAddict

They're gone already!!!  Wow!  Things musta really have turned around for your sister.  I hope that's a good thing.  Bet it's pretty quiet there now!

In short, under GA law, if there is only one living parent, and that the parent is not incarcerated - even if convicted with a suspended sentence and on probation, he/she is fit.

On a brighter note, Noel's track has moved east and slowed down, so I'm not taking down any more decorations and am hoping we don't get a rain-out.  Right now, it looks whatever rain we may get won't be here until about 9:00 or 10:00 pm tomorrow.  I haven't heard any updates on the totals, but since we're on the weak side, I don't think it will be too bad at all.   I'm even a little hopeful that I may be able to put some other decorations back up tomorrow.

Offline kimnat

That article really highlights a HUGE issue in today's world.  Bigger than illegal immigration and tax rates and that is the innocence of childhood is going by way of the 8 track - into the hopper!  I flipped out when I heard Andrew talking about something being "sexy" and that was only about 5 months ago!  Now, Elisa is trying it.  They sneak in watching teeniebopper shows, love Drake & Josh.  Elisa has a "crush on Drake and calls him sexy!"  She's only 6!!!!  And no!  Bratz dolls are not innocent!  It makes the pouty, sexy, bratty girl look like a positive role model!  No Bratz in this house!  I don't need the attitude!

A couple of years ago, I was looking for a shorter skirt than was popular in women's styles.  They all were the long dowty ones, which can look really great, but make me look frumpy!  Do you know what I had to do???  Shop the JUNIOR'S section!  And I was shocked at what I found!  SHORT SHORT skirts that barely cover a bottom, if it even accomplishes that much (and this is NO exaggeration!), plunging, tight tops and outfits with questionable designs and phrases on them.  WHORE barely describes what I saw!  And parents let their daughters buy this crap????  What is so wrong with letting our children be children?  It's bad enough for them to have to go through cancer like Andrew did and be forced to grow up in that area?  But why force them to abandon their childlike ways?  Why promote the teen sex angle?  Do they LIKE the idea that our teen girls are getting abortions behind our backs and that schools are now determining that they know best and are giving them birth control without parental consent?  Who's the parent here?  Society or the ones who gave birth to the child?  This is the topic where I lose it!  Why are parents sitting back and letting this happen?

ok, I'll step off my soapbox now.  I feel much better.  Thanks for letting me vent.

Offline 2IPAs

Look at it this way, 2IPA's.  You appreciate quality beers.  You're witty, charming, and a huge Nats fan.  Even your nickname is beyond reproach.  Your husband is looking at his (perfect wife) checklist, and every box is checked except one....

Not to mention that I put up with the Red Sox fandom...!   :)

Speaking of quality beers, I went to a great event in the Outer Banks last weekend called "Pigstein" featuring NC BBQ and tastings by two tents full of East Coast microbreweries. Entertainment could have been better, but it was their first year, so I'll cut some slack.

Offline 2IPAs

That article really highlights a HUGE issue in today's world.  Bigger than illegal immigration and tax rates and that is the innocence of childhood is going by way of the 8 track - into the hopper!

Yes, I feel for anyone who has to raise kids (especially girl children) today. I'd probably enroll them in a nunnery!

Offline kimnat

You know, that may not be a bad idea!  :D