Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 50472 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Buk Reedin' Thred (Book Thread)
« Reply #450: January 15, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »
Someone once told me the chronicles of Narnia were all allegory- I don't buy it though

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #451: January 17, 2013, 09:52:31 PM »
Box containing A Memory of Light was sitting on the stoop (thankfully wrapped in plastic) when I got home. If I could start reading now and continue doing so non-stop until I reach the end, I would do so. Going to be weird reading a hardback book again now that I've had the Kindle for over two years.

Finished the Clarence Clemons book this morning while eating breakfast. I thought it was disappointing.

Finished the final Wheel of Time book this evening. I won't post any spoilers other than to say that if you've been reading this series for over 20 years (like me), this book is almost exhausting to read.

I feel bittersweet to have finished it. Wanted to know how it would end, but a bit saddened that it's the end for all these characters I'd gotten to know over so many years.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #452: January 31, 2013, 12:19:53 AM »

Wild Pitches
Dirk Hayhurst's latest work, a $4 ebook of extras just came out. Totally worth it.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #453: March 11, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »
Just finished Spin by Robert Charles Wilson a few days ago, which was really interesting. It had a lot of great, fully fleshed characters which I really appreciated, and which kept me hooked.

I'm now reading/listening to American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm only through less than 10% of the book, so I can't say if I like it yet. However, I'm REALLY enjoying the audiobook itself. It has a full cast of voice actors which really breathes life into the story, more so than if I had just read the paperback. I'll probably finish it within the next two weeks or so.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #454: March 11, 2013, 01:41:01 PM »
I just joined audible, so I'm starting to listen to more audio books- I have to say the guy who reads the hobbit makes it seem like a grandfather reading the book- usually I'm not a fan of audio novels, but I actually like that version of the hobbit better

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #455: March 11, 2013, 02:02:35 PM »
Someone once told me the chronicles of Narnia were all allegory- I don't buy it though

they are. CS Lewis even admitted as much, supposedly.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #456: March 11, 2013, 03:46:38 PM »
I just joined audible, so I'm starting to listen to more audio books- I have to say the guy who reads the hobbit makes it seem like a grandfather reading the book- usually I'm not a fan of audio novels, but I actually like that version of the hobbit better
I really like audible, I've been using them for over two years and I really like being able to get audiobooks easily and cheaply. I would use tapes and CDs, but I don't own a car and I only listen to my books while riding the bus and walking, so the Audible App for my phone is the best.

It is difficult to find out if you will like a book before you buy it, which is a real bummer. But probably more than 80% of the books I've bought for leisure have turned out to be great novels that I listened to all the way through. I will be trying harder on the last 20%, however there are a couple (Game of Thrones, for example) that I will NEVER finish!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #457: March 11, 2013, 05:35:08 PM »
I really like audible, I've been using them for over two years and I really like being able to get audiobooks easily and cheaply. I would use tapes and CDs, but I don't own a car and I only listen to my books while riding the bus and walking, so the Audible App for my phone is the best.

It is difficult to find out if you will like a book before you buy it, which is a real bummer. But probably more than 80% of the books I've bought for leisure have turned out to be great novels that I listened to all the way through. I will be trying harder on the last 20%, however there are a couple (Game of Thrones, for example) that I will NEVER finish!

I thought Game of Thrones was supposed to be really good.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #458: March 11, 2013, 05:39:27 PM »

great books can make terrible audio books. My general rule is the more characters, the worse the audio version. There are also narrators who just aren't very good

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #459: March 11, 2013, 05:50:37 PM »
I quickly found out it's not my kind of book. I am sure people who love epic fantasies will love it... I just now know that I am not interested in it.

great books can make terrible audio books. My general rule is the more characters, the worse the audio version. There are also narrators who just aren't very good

Pretty much! Either that or find one that has multiple voice actors. Hyperion by Dan Simmons is a great example of how multiple voice actors can overcome the "too many characters" problem with audiobooks, it having 5 narrators.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #460: April 04, 2013, 11:51:45 PM »
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57576256-1/see-a-pro-photogs-beautiful-instagram-view-of-baseball/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

A photographer for Sports Illustrated spent a season covering baseball using only Instagram for a Camera.  Great PICs

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #461: April 05, 2013, 10:42:06 AM »
American Gods is awesome. 
it's a weird, entertaining trip, that's for sure. Like Good Omens' evil twin.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #462: April 05, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »
it's a weird, entertaining trip, that's for sure. Like Good Omens' evil twin.
My younger sister is/was OBSESSED with Good Omens, so I have to read that eventually just so I can understand at least half of the stuff she says about it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #463: July 12, 2013, 05:48:05 PM »

Offline Coladar

« Reply #464: July 13, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »
Just had a thought that somebody here with a penchant for baseball history might be able to point me in the right direction - has anyone come across a decent history of the baseball scene in Louisville surrounding the birth of the Louisville slugger? 1880s, in other words. It could be either about the creation of the Louisville slugger, limited or focused on 1880s (Not the entire history of the brand.) or, like I said, the baseball culture surrounding it in 1880s Kentucky.

I'm doing some preliminary research for a book I'm working on, fiction, that ends up involving Pete Browning indirectly, the ol' Gladiator himself and the player who birthed the Louisville Slugger both as a bat and a brand (Given Pete was the Louisville Slugger and oversaw creation and was recipient of the first Slugger.) There are highlights about his notoriety readily available, but little I can find to paint a picture around his drunken insanity and ground it in reality somewhat. (He was literally insane, by the by. Worth reading up on, on a lazy day. Example? His eyes were 'lamps'. So every morning he'd charge them up, of course. By staring into the sun for several minutes. On train rides with his team, he'd stick his head out the window to get all the dust and debris kicked up in his eyes and make them water. Why? Only Pete knows.)

Most of these books are out of print with no digital samples available, so tracking them down is both expensive due to scarcity and hit or miss as far as their quality goes. I'd even be willing to go after a book out of print for as many as 50-70 years as long as it fits to a tee what I'm after, so availability isn't much of a concern, just content.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #465: July 22, 2013, 07:53:25 PM »
need a recommendation for a good sci-fi/fantasy book to read.

please, no emo vampires and werewolves though.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #466: July 22, 2013, 09:11:38 PM »
need a recommendation for a good sci-fi/fantasy book to read.

please, no emo vampires and werewolves though.

Not my genre but stumbled into a worn copy of Jurassic Park one time and could not put that thing down.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #467: July 22, 2013, 11:46:24 PM »
That's more 'science (fiction)' than 'science-fiction' though.
Not my genre but stumbled into a worn copy of Jurassic Park one time and could not put that thing down.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #468: July 23, 2013, 12:19:05 AM »
Been reading the Dexter books lately. Also James Patterson's Cross.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #469: July 25, 2013, 12:28:30 AM »
Just finished the new Jeff Shaara book, A Blaze of Glory, about the battle of Shiloh. The first of a planned trilogy. Really enjoyed it. edit-just
 found out it's the 1st of a planned 4 book series on the Western Theater of the Civil War.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #470: July 25, 2013, 10:01:41 AM »
I just read his dad's Gettysburg book, "The Killer Angels"...I gather that book was a large part of the inspiration behind Ken Burns' Civil War series.  Michael Shaara also wrote a very powerful book about WWI called "To the Last Man".  I'm curious to see how his son's books stack up.

An aside, Winston Groom (author of "Forrest Gump" and a pretty solid historian) wrote a book about Shiloh a year or so ago (150th anniversary of the battle)...nonfiction that reads like a novel. 

Just finished the new Jeff Shaara book, A Blaze of Glory, about the battle of Shiloh. The first of a planned trilogy. Really enjoyed it. edit-just
 found out it's the 1st of a planned 4 book series on the Western Theater of the Civil War.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #471: July 25, 2013, 01:46:36 PM »

I just picked up The Glorious Cause on audible, if you have a subscription- 25 hours for 1 credit

Offline saltydad

« Reply #472: August 01, 2013, 10:49:34 PM »
I actually read all of Shaara Jr.'s books. I like them, as they fill a niche that I enjoy. As good as his dad? Naw, pop won the pulitzer for a reason.

Just about 2/3'rd of the way through Under the Dome (See what going to Costco does?). Excellent read. I have the series on DVR; waiting until I finish the read before watching.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #473: August 13, 2013, 01:11:48 PM »
Really really enjoying this book:  http://www.amazon.com/The-Happiness-Advantage-Principles-Performance/dp/0307591549

The author is Shawn Archor, who researches what makes people happy in their work and private lives, and who is a fantastic speaker (search for his TED presentation, one of the funniest/most informative 12 minute presentations I've ever seen).

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #474: August 15, 2013, 01:53:20 PM »
Earlier this week I finished reading CyberStorm by Matthew Mather ($2.99 for the Kindle download). It's an apocalyptic novel in which New York gets socked in by multiple blizzards over several weeks right at the same time foreign hackers bring down the power and communications grids. I don't normally read this sort of stuff, but this one was interesting (although the characters are a bit flat, perhaps because in a "message novel" the characters aren't terribly important). It certainly gives me pause when I think about doing something like installing a wifi thermostat or wifi-enabled lighting.