Author Topic: Backyard Pond Advice Wanted  (Read 5048 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Backyard Pond Advice Wanted
« Reply #50: May 31, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »
Salty reaching way back in WNFF history for this thread bump.    :lol:

The plants do look extraordinarily healthy, though.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #51: May 31, 2012, 04:38:25 PM »
Now that's a yard.  I trust that you are sitting out there in a white linen suit and pith helmet and casually shooting at wogs while you enjoy a gin & tonic before dinner.

I now have hardy banana plants growing in both my front and back yards. What with my brother's heart attack, I haven't looked at them recently. Did so today, and lo and behold I have a flower and bananas (inedible) in my front yard!

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline saltydad

« Reply #52: June 01, 2012, 02:26:05 PM »
Are you kidding? The "wogs" own the place; I'm the landscaper! And have you looked at the price of pith helmets today?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #53: June 01, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »
I have a small backyard pond. We just had 6 gold fish in it and a tadpole. For whatever reason, all but one fish has died. I'm not sure the issue, but at least they were just inexpensive gold fish as opposed to pricey koi. Our pond is about 6' x 4' and about 30" deep at the deepest point.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #54: June 01, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »
I have a small backyard pond. We just had 6 gold fish in it and a tadpole. For whatever reason, all but one fish has died. I'm not sure the issue, but at least they were just inexpensive gold fish as opposed to pricey koi. Our pond is about 6' x 4' and about 30" deep at the deepest point.

Did they die or disappear?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #55: June 01, 2012, 04:19:31 PM »
Did they die or disappear?

Died. They had seem to be doing well too. We actually had 3 survive the winter which we've had little luck with being novice pond keepers. I hadn't been able to get any plants yet, I usually buy the floating variety, because there weren't any available yet. I'm gonna drain it almost dry, refill and condition it and see how it goes.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #56: June 01, 2012, 04:21:24 PM »
Died. They had seem to be doing well too. We actually had 3 survive the winter which we've had little luck with being novice pond keepers. I hadn't been able to get any plants yet, I usually buy the floating variety, because there weren't any available yet. I'm gonna drain it almost dry, refill and condition it and see how it goes.

Have you run any water quality tests on it?  Ammonia, Nitrates, pH?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #57: June 01, 2012, 04:52:59 PM »
Have you run any water quality tests on it?  Ammonia, Nitrates, pH?

Negative. I'll have to check it out. Rain water does most of the filling, but I do add some tap water on occasion depending how dry it's been. I'll use a little De-chlorinater and some barley extract when needed. I only feed them about every other day just in case mosquitoes take up residence. I clean the filter on the pump about once a week.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #58: June 02, 2012, 03:33:22 PM »
I use dechlorinator for chlorine and chloramines when adding topoff water. I also have plants, the best solution to water quality problems. Use a combination of surface plants (water lilies and/or water lotus) and oxygenating plants. I also use water canna, purple pickerel weed, sagittaria, Japanese iris, parrot feather.  Never had a problem since adding plants 5 years ago except for predators and fish that occasionally jump out due to overambitious sexual escapades in spring. I also add Mosquito Dunks just in case. Good luck.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #59: June 02, 2012, 03:48:15 PM »
I use dechlorinator for chlorine and chloramines when adding topoff water. I also have plants, the best solution to water quality problems. Use a combination of surface plants (water lilies and/or water lotus) and oxygenating plants. I also use water canna, purple pickerel weed, sagittaria, Japanese iris, parrot feather.  Never had a problem since adding plants 5 years ago except for predators and fish that occasionally jump out due to overambitious sexual escapades in spring. I also add Mosquito Dunks just in case. Good luck.

Good info. Will keep that in mind. Still have one fish soldiering on.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #60: June 02, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »
The fish don't eat the mosquitos? The dunks don't bother the fish?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #61: June 02, 2012, 03:59:47 PM »
The fish will eat some of the mosquitoes, but not all. The dunks, if I'm not mistaken, are harmless to pretty much everything but mosquitoes.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #62: June 02, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »
Learn something new everyday. We use the dunks in our alcove drain so we don't get eaten alive on the porch above.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #63: June 02, 2012, 04:05:17 PM »
I've used sprays in my yard to minimize the mosquitoes, but I try to avoid using them if possible. It is pretty effective though.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #64: June 02, 2012, 04:06:46 PM »
I'd like to add a turtle to my pond during the warm months, a red eared slider or something like that, and then keep it inside during the winter. Any recommendations or experience with turtles? I've always loved turtles...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #65: June 02, 2012, 04:31:35 PM »
Negative. I'll have to check it out. Rain water does most of the filling, but I do add some tap water on occasion depending how dry it's been. I'll use a little De-chlorinater and some barley extract when needed. I only feed them about every other day just in case mosquitoes take up residence. I clean the filter on the pump about once a week.

You haven't mentioned water changes yet.  Just adding water to replace evaporation will lead to a buildup of nitrates over time.  Not a problem in low amounts (unlike ammonia which is deadly) but in high amounts is toxic.  If you aren't doing water changes, then I'm going to venture a guess that your Nitrate reading is off the scale.

That kit's cheap at any fish store.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #66: June 02, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »
Good point, Tom. I do a water change of approx. 50% twice a year, spring and fall cleanups.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #67: June 02, 2012, 05:47:45 PM »
Good point, Tom. I do a water change of approx. 50% twice a year, spring and fall cleanups.

There are a lot of factors that go into how often you need it.  Heavy plant load will absorb nitrates.  Few fish or no plant dosing will also preserve water quality.  But lots of fish and few plants will create excess waste and poor water quality.  But your 50% changes is probably right on.  Better to be aggressive than change too little.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #68: June 02, 2012, 07:58:43 PM »
You haven't mentioned water changes yet.  Just adding water to replace evaporation will lead to a buildup of nitrates over time.  Not a problem in low amounts (unlike ammonia which is deadly) but in high amounts is toxic.  If you aren't doing water changes, then I'm going to venture a guess that your Nitrate reading is off the scale.

That kit's cheap at any fish store.

I did drain it almost entirely in October, I think and then refilled it. I'll do a 70% or so swap just to be safe.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #69: June 02, 2012, 08:05:33 PM »
I did drain it almost entirely in October, I think and then refilled it. I'll do a 70% or so swap just to be safe.

Well water or city?  You have to be careful of chloramines in any water change with municipal water, highly toxic.  And temperate changes shouldn't be too quick.  Better to do a 40-50% change one day, then another one in a day or so than all at once.  If you have the time, of course.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #70: June 02, 2012, 08:09:19 PM »
Well water or city?  You have to be careful of chloramines in any water change with municipal water, highly toxic.  And temperate changes shouldn't be too quick.  Better to do a 40-50% change one day, then another one in a day or so than all at once.  If you have the time, of course.

I have city water. I use a de-clorinator/water conditioner when I add tap water. I also use the Barley Extract as needed.