Author Topic: apologies to LaRoche  (Read 19326 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: apologies to LaRoche
« Reply #75: April 09, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #76: April 09, 2012, 02:51:02 PM »
sportsfan: the man behind the straw man in every WNFF argument since 2006.

That's why I said debatable.  Or do you have my on ignore too.  :stir:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #77: April 09, 2012, 02:55:13 PM »
Some people have an overactive imagination or simply lack a sense of humor. (Magic Glove, Chinless, etc.)

I love how the people screaming "small sample size!!!" are the exact same people who condemn the player for one bad game.  :rofl:

:crackup: LaRoche didn't have a bad game, he had a bad 2011.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #78: April 09, 2012, 02:55:40 PM »
You guys should reread the first gameday thread if you really don't think people (i.e., more than just SF) were already calling for LaRoche's head after a single game.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #79: April 09, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »
Some people have an overactive imagination or simply lack a sense of humor. (Magic Glove, Chinless, etc.)

:crackup: LaRoche didn't have a bad game, he had a bad 2011.

Exactly my point. It's a new season, he appears healthy, and so far he's swinging the bat well. But suddenly it's too early to be optimistic about that despite the exact opposite being ok with an even smaller sample size.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #80: April 09, 2012, 02:57:58 PM »
You guys should reread the first gameday thread if you really don't think people (i.e., more than just SF) were already calling for LaRoche's head after a single game.

Nobody cares.  Tonight is game four, let's keep the hysterics to a minimum until August.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #81: April 09, 2012, 02:58:27 PM »

To be fair, he was total dog poop and not even warm dog poop in his first game. He had ZERO pitch recognition, it was ugly.

Laroche himself said he just couldn't see the ball coming out of Dempster's hand - but, I think it's clear that he saw the pitches the other two days.

Can't use 2011 as an indicator of anything really, he was injured.

Let's hope games 2 and 3 so far are more indicative of who he really is. Remains to be seen

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #82: April 09, 2012, 02:58:39 PM »
Nobody cares.  Tonight is game four, let's keep the hysterics to a minimum until August.
Sanity  :clap:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #83: April 09, 2012, 02:58:46 PM »
Exactly my point. It's a new season, he appears healthy, and so far he's swinging the bat well. But suddenly it's too early to be optimistic about that despite the exact opposite being ok with an even smaller sample size.

2011 + 1 game is a much larger sample size than 2 games.  I don't care if it's a new season.  Inertia is a nag.  That said, some people need to realize that blowing off steam is part of being a fan.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #84: April 09, 2012, 03:01:14 PM »
That said, some people need to realize that blowing off steam is part of being a fan.

I thought internet message boards existed as a way to blow off steam. 

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #85: April 09, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »
2011 + 1 game is a much larger sample size than 3 games.  I don't care if it's a new season.  Inertia is a nag.  That said, some people need to realize that blowing off steam is part of being a fan.

Really it should be 2011*+1 game since he was injured for all of that season. And I suppose you're right, but for me all my steam is blown off over the offseason and by the March I'm nothing but excited (while still trying to be realistic) about the new season.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #86: April 09, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »
I can't think of anyone on this forum that isn't still excited about this season.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #87: April 09, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »
Damn, and here I thought the interwebz existed to facilitate a higher level of reasoned discourse...

I thought internet message boards existed as a way to blow off steam. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #88: April 09, 2012, 03:06:11 PM »
...by the March I'm nothing but excited (while still trying to be realistic) about the new season.

I'd be a lot more excited if we didn't have the strikeout brigade for a lineup and weren't depending on medical cases (Wang, LaRoche) and bargain basement finds (DeRosa, Tracy) to fillout the lineup.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #89: April 09, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »
When you start a new club with 151 at bats well below the Mendoza line you are going to get razzed. It takes a little more than one good day against a bottom of the barrel pitching staff to redeem yourself. The Nats seem to be expecting a career year from him which seems a bit unlikely given his age and recent injuries.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #90: April 09, 2012, 03:06:20 PM »
Damn, and here I thought the interwebz existed to facilitate a higher level of reasoned discourse...

I'd like to think WNFF has a good mix of both.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #91: April 09, 2012, 03:06:58 PM »
That said, I am really excited for the season.  Can't wait for Thursday.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #92: April 09, 2012, 03:09:06 PM »
Oh, for a sports forum, this is some rarified air...the hockey boards are on the other hand troll-infested swamps of jockstrap sniffing and poo throwing. 

I'd like to think WNFF has a good mix of both.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #93: April 09, 2012, 03:09:54 PM »
Oh, for a sports forum, this is some rarified air...the hockey boards are on the other hand troll-infested swamps of jockstrap sniffing and poo throwing.

This needs a PotY nomination!

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #94: April 09, 2012, 03:12:13 PM »
I can't think of anyone on this forum that isn't still excited about this season.

It does get tiring though when this excitement is expressed as nothing but endless complaints about the team when they do bad and endless caveats about how they still suck when they do good. We're 2-1 without our two best sluggers (Morse is out and Zimmerman has been mostly absent at the plate so far) and one of our starters couldn't get out of the fourth inning yet I've heard more whining than optimism.  :?

Boundless homerism is annoying too, but I can't say I've seen much of that so far.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #95: April 09, 2012, 03:12:40 PM »

...with lolcats.  Never forget, the intertubes exists to serve teh kittehs.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #96: April 09, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »

Most of us were half-kidding. That thread was hilarious. Just ignore the ones who are frantic in every game thread if it helps you.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #97: April 09, 2012, 03:15:46 PM »
noble, just wait until BiL starts posting in full force again.  He's been oddly quiet lately.

And anyway I still think you're mischaracterizing the group based on a few individuals, but perhaps I'm just desensitized.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #98: April 09, 2012, 03:18:34 PM »
do dinosaurs in trash cans have nerves endings that can be sensitive?

I supposed they do, but just how big is a dinosaurs brain?

It's bigger than agent's, I suppose. 

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #99: April 09, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »
Boundless homerism is annoying too, but I can't say I've seen much of that so far.

Trying to step up and fill the void? Gods forbid humor is utlized to laugh at the team's obvious shortcomings.