Author Topic: apologies to LaRoche  (Read 19332 times)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: apologies to LaRoche
« Reply #200: May 17, 2012, 06:56:55 AM »
He's been on fire. But this isn't him being the normal LaRoche they hoped for. He's on pace for far beyond a career year for him. It has been nice to see him deliver when the offense had so many holes early. He's been a big part of why they've been able to win the games when the pitching has been so good.

I just hope he puts in a solid season and doesn't suffer too much of a dropoff. It'd be unrealistic to expect him to keep up this level
.339/.429/.595/1.024. I'm just glad he is healthy so we can get the production we should realistically expect. 

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #201: May 17, 2012, 07:56:08 AM »
You mean the first day.

I was at game #2 when LaRoche had a pretty awesome game. Infact, his home run lead to a celebration by a Nats fan that ended up in the Washington Post.

For that, I salute you Adam LaRoche!

Sorry you're right, I think his first AB of the 2nd game was bad and I was absolutely blind drunk as it was 4am on a Sunday morning Aus time when that game was on so I passed our and woke up to his 4-5 day

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #202: May 17, 2012, 08:06:46 AM »
Collecting his 1000th hit against a team he once played for, with RBI's to boot...one of those 'aren't you sorry you let me go' moments - really made that hit count!

And for those whose baseball memories go back to the 70's and early 80's, he is indeed the son of Dave LaRoche, of 'LaLob' fame.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #203: May 17, 2012, 08:34:34 AM »
A team that always boos him, as well.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #204: May 17, 2012, 08:35:13 AM »
I admit that I was totally wrong about LaRoche. He is having an all star season for us is pretty much our MVP. I hope he continues his particular brand of chinless aggression for the rest of the season.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #205: May 17, 2012, 08:51:17 AM »
So it's pretty much a given that we pick up his contract for next year?

I think a lot depends on morse and how strong Rizzo's desire to land the whale is- if morse come back and plays like he did last year, and Rizzo still wants the whale, morse or LaRoche has to be delt in the off season

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #206: May 17, 2012, 09:16:13 AM »

I think a lot depends on morse and how strong Rizzo's desire to land the whale is- if morse come back and plays like he did last year, and Rizzo still wants the whale, morse or LaRoche has to be delt in the off season

I think if LaRoche continues his hitting and Morse regains what he did last year the "white whale "is superflous. That being said ALR historically slow starts are a distant memory except to me. The only thing different that I can see is that he almost had a full season off last year and now is raking. I just don't know where that fits into the equation. I don't want to be a debbie downer  but he certainly is our MVP this year no matter if ALL of our SP continue to roll.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #207: May 17, 2012, 09:20:38 AM »
AussieNatsFan -
Sorry you're right, I think his first AB of the 2nd game was bad and I was absolutely blind drunk as it was 4am on a Sunday morning Aus time when that game was on so I passed our and woke up to his 4-5 day

I have a suggestion for you.  Next time Danny Espinosa Ks in his first at bat, you should get blind drunk, go into a rage at him, and pass out.  It seems to have worked once.  Anything for the team!

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #208: May 17, 2012, 09:24:22 AM »
Lets just say in theory we sign Hamilton or some other big OF bat in the offseason.  We could still pick up the LaRoche option and have him be the first bat off the bench and 1B in interleague (Morse DH).  That or get Harper to learn how to play 2B in the offseason heh.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #209: May 17, 2012, 10:00:31 AM »
He's been on fire. But this isn't him being the normal LaRoche they hoped for. He's on pace for far beyond a career year for him. It has been nice to see him deliver when the offense had so many holes early. He's been a big part of why they've been able to win the games when the pitching has been so good.

I just hope he puts in a solid season and doesn't suffer too much of a dropoff. It'd be unrealistic to expect him to keep up this level
.339/.429/.595/1.024. I'm just glad he is healthy so we can get the production we should realistically expect. 

I think he's benefiting from being in a better lineup this year.  Having Harper, a healthy Zim, an improved Desmond and marginally effective production from the catchers is helping a lot.  I look forward to getting Werth and Morse back so we can see what a fully functioning lineup can do.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #210: May 17, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »
I think if LaRoche continues his hitting and Morse regains what he did last year the "white whale "is superflous. That being said ALR historically slow starts are a distant memory except to me. The only thing different that I can see is that he almost had a full season off last year and now is raking. I just don't know where that fits into the equation. I don't want to be a debbie downer  but he certainly is our MVP this year no matter if ALL of our SP continue to roll.

Disagree. This team needs a leadoff hitter more than anything else.

Until that's fixed, the team will still have a major flaw to it.

Lets just say in theory we sign Hamilton or some other big OF bat in the offseason.  We could still pick up the LaRoche option and have him be the first bat off the bench and 1B in interleague (Morse DH).  That or get Harper to learn how to play 2B in the offseason heh.

You're going to pay a guy 10 million to ride the bench and DH for 20 games a year?

I have a hard time believing the Lerners would be ok with that.

Offline RL04

« Reply #211: May 17, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »
His swing is just so incredibly smooth.

Yeah, but he still finishes his swing with only one arm.

Imagine how good he'd be if he fully swung with both arms!
   ;)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #212: May 17, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »
You're going to pay a guy 10 million to ride the bench and DH for 20 games a year?

I have a hard time believing the Lerners would be ok with that.

Forget the Lerners, LaRoche is way too good a bat to be a pinch-hitter and occasional DH. It's not like this team is overflowing with quality hitters, so you want a guy like him batting as much as possible.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #213: May 17, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »
LOL

Dibble is off his rocker

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #214: May 17, 2012, 10:40:03 AM »
LOL

Dibble is off his rocker

(Image removed from quote.)

That's from April 5.

Why bring that up now?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #215: May 17, 2012, 10:40:22 AM »
Huh, it was worse in our game thread.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #216: May 17, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »
That's from April 5.

Why bring that up now?

Yeah, didn't notice the date, thought it was from yesterday

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #217: May 17, 2012, 10:47:50 AM »
Disagree. This team needs a leadoff hitter more than anything else.

Until that's fixed, the team will still have a major flaw to it.

I thought the "white whale " was a CF who doesn't neccessarily have to lead -off.We still don't know what Espi will project for the rest of the season and if Lombo will replace him.If that happens we have a lead-off guy. Moving Desmond to 7th hasn't worked previously and I think the FO is content where they are. I agree that Desi is not a prototypical lead-off person but he is probably best where he is . I think that is why Lombo hasn't been inserted into the lineup YET.You get a lead-oof guy but possibly diminish the effectiveness of Desmonds bat by moving him down..

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #218: May 17, 2012, 10:52:49 AM »
I don't agree that moving Desmond to 2nd in the batting order will diminish his effectiveness.

I thought the "white whale " was a CF who doesn't neccessarily have to lead -off.We still don't know what Espi will project for the rest of the season and if Lombo will replace him.If that happens we have a lead-off guy. Moving Desmond to 7th hasn't worked previously and I think the FO is content where they are. I agree that Desi is not a prototypical lead-off person but he is probably best where he is . I think that is why Lombo hasn't been inserted into the lineup YET.You get a lead-oof guy but possibly diminish the effectiveness of Desmonds bat by moving him down..

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #219: May 17, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »
I don't agree that moving Desmond to 2nd in the batting order will diminish his effectiveness.

Moving to second or lower in the lineup would actually probably enhance his new found skill of driving the ball.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #220: May 17, 2012, 10:58:28 AM »
there's already a thread for this

lol @ dpm using "haters" :)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #221: May 17, 2012, 11:24:50 AM »
Moving to second or lower in the lineup would actually probably enhance his new found skill of driving the ball.

I agree. But for that, we'd have to have a real leadoff hitter.

Maybe Lombo in LF? Maybe Harper?

Offline 114D

« Reply #222: May 17, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »
I just had a crazy freaking thought, and not trying to get ahead of ourselves -- season has a long way to go.  But if the season ended today, LaRoche probably finishes pretty high up in MVP voting.  Maybe even 2nd.  More likely 3rd after Beltran.  But still... if Kemp ends up getting hurt and LaRoche keeps up this pace, he could be in the conversation in September.  Maybe.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #223: May 17, 2012, 11:27:59 AM »
I just had a crazy freaking thought, and not trying to get ahead of ourselves -- season has a long way to go.  But if the season ended today, LaRoche probably finishes pretty high up in MVP voting.  Maybe even 2nd.  More likely 3rd after Beltran.  But still... if Kemp ends up getting hurt and LaRoche keeps up this pace, he could be in the conversation in September.  Maybe.

Hopefully he doesn't have his typical season play out in reverse this year. That would really suck.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #224: May 17, 2012, 11:37:06 AM »
merged with the earlier thread.

Funny how most of the "haters" were the first ones to man up.  Wonder what took the shiners so long :stir: