Author Topic: apologies to LaRoche  (Read 19326 times)

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
Re: apologies to LaRoche
« Reply #125: April 11, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »
Personally I'm more amped up for 2014 when all the pieces come together.  (Assuming of course that Rizzo keeps his job so that we don't have to rebuild again.)

Totally agree.  Have you seen the 2014 free agent class?   :az:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #126: April 11, 2012, 10:34:44 AM »
If LaRoche is solid, why go look for another 1B?

You could sign a CF/lead-off, put Harper in LF, and slide Morse back to 1st.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #127: April 11, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
If LaRoche is solid, why go look for another 1B?
It all depends on whether or not Harper can play CF, if he can, exercising the option may makes sense, if not, you have to choose one of LaRoche or Morse

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #128: April 11, 2012, 12:45:05 PM »
It all depends on whether or not Harper can play CF, if he can, exercising the option may makes sense, if not, you have to choose one of LaRoche or Morse

I'm assuming that Harper can play CF when he can hit major league pitching. Overall, the Nats have so few hitters that I hate to drop one.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #129: April 11, 2012, 02:29:30 PM »
We have an option for LaRoche in 2013.  After that, he is a free agent.  morse also is a free agent in 2014.

:panic:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #130: April 14, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »
"@MarkZuckerman: 2012 RBI totals: Adam LaRoche 10, Prince Fielder 4. (Gotta love early April stats.)"

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #131: April 14, 2012, 05:05:14 PM »
"@MarkZuckerman: 2012 RBI totals: Adam LaRoche 10, Prince Fielder 4. (Gotta love early April stats.)"

Pujols has 2 RBI.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #132: April 14, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »

Pujols has 2 RBI.

It doesn't matter - not because it's April, but because RBIs are a worthless stat :poke: :stir:

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #133: April 14, 2012, 05:19:36 PM »
It doesn't matter - not because it's April, but because RBIs are a worthless stat :poke: :stir:

Now is it RBI or RBIs? It's Runs Batted In, not Run Batted Ins. I'm not picking on you -- I had never thought about it until I got stuck on it typing out my post. I'm going to go with RsBI.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #134: April 14, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »
I suppose I just haven't gotten acclimated to this boards sense of humor yet.

You're assuming that even exists here though...

Offline The Chief

« Reply #135: April 14, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »
Now is it RBI or RBIs? It's Runs Batted In, not Run Batted Ins. I'm not picking on you -- I had never thought about it until I got stuck on it typing out my post. I'm going to go with RsBI.

I'm not an english major but I think there are rules that deal with acronyms like that.  You always hear people saying "ribbies" aka RBIs, but yeah it's sort of awkward.  I like RsBI, they can start calling 'em "raspberries" :lol:

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #136: April 14, 2012, 05:23:35 PM »
I'm not an english major but I think there are rules that deal with acronyms like that.  You always hear people saying "ribbies" aka RBIs, but yeah it's sort of awkward.  I like RsBI, they can start calling 'em "raspberries" :lol:

Yeah, ribbies, rib-eyes, steaks. Laughing at raspberries.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #137: April 14, 2012, 06:49:39 PM »
The "s" is contained within the acronym.  No need to put it at the end or include it in the middle.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #138: April 14, 2012, 06:50:41 PM »
The "s" is contained within the acronym.  No need to put it at the end or include it in the middle.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure there are grammatical rules that treat acronyms as singular nouns, but I'm not going to bother looking it up because I don't really care.  Call em whatever you want.  I recommend raspberries ;)

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #139: April 14, 2012, 07:00:44 PM »
Picked him up today as an emergency replacement on my fantasy team.  I'm never letting go.

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #140: April 14, 2012, 07:12:41 PM »

This whole thing is so stupid.  It's RBIs in my view.  I would argue that RBI is now, through usage, a word in and of itself, and should have the 's' at the end in the plural usage.  The purists out there who insist on saying 'three RBI' should then start saying that 4 'cop' responded to the emergency call, since cop is an acronym (for 'constable on partol').  Of course, no one does that because, through usage, cop is itself considered a noun on its own.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #141: April 14, 2012, 07:21:54 PM »
Like I said, I'm pretty sure there are grammatical rules that treat acronyms as singular nouns, but I'm not going to bother looking it up because I don't really care.  Call em whatever you want.  I recommend raspberries ;)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #142: April 14, 2012, 07:24:18 PM »
This whole thing is so stupid.  It's RBIs in my view.  I would argue that RBI is now, through usage, a word in and of itself, and should have the 's' at the end in the plural usage.  The purists out there who insist on saying 'three RBI' should then start saying that 4 'cop' responded to the emergency call, since cop is an acronym (for 'constable on partol').  Of course, no one does that because, through usage, cop is itself considered a noun on its own.

I also see it as an unit of measurement (like rpm's) so I always add the s at the end. It's the ESPN people who think they are so clever that started the trend to omit the s.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #143: April 14, 2012, 07:27:09 PM »
Sorry, I really had no idea this was a "trend" or a sensitive issue. I got stuck writing my post and then asked about it when Chief did the opposite of what I did. :lol:

Carry on.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #144: April 14, 2012, 07:32:56 PM »
Cop is an acronym. You can pronoun it. It's okay to pluralize acronyms. RBI is not. To prove this minor point, people say ribbies to make the abbreviation, RBI, into an acronym. Other acronyms are scuba, radar, etc.

It's only a minor point, but RBI doesn't really get an "s" on the end to make it plural. It's not an acronym.

I wasn't an English major, but I was a journalism major. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #145: April 14, 2012, 07:38:32 PM »
RPM is an abbreviation for revolutions per minute. It's never correct to add an s. :? (Unlike RBI, where it sometimes means run, sometimes runs.)

I also see it as an unit of measurement (like rpm's) so I always add the s at the end. It's the ESPN people who think they are so clever that started the trend to omit the s.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #146: April 14, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »
Fantastic start for LaRoche. Could not have hoped for better

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #147: April 14, 2012, 07:55:05 PM »
Cop is an acronym. You can pronoun it. It's okay to pluralize acronyms. RBI is not. To prove this minor point, people say ribbies to make the abbreviation, RBI, into an acronym. Other acronyms are scuba, radar, etc.

It's only a minor point, but RBI doesn't really get an "s" on the end to make it plural. It's not an acronym.

I wasn't an English major, but I was a journalism major. 

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, cop comes from the term "copper" used for police way back in the day. Copper was due to the fact that most badges were made of copper at the time and was later shortened to cop.

Edit:

I'm wrong on that. Cop comes from the verb form of cop: to take or seize. In 1844, the first reference to cop taking the meaning of "to arrest".

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/cop.asp

Offline The Chief

« Reply #148: April 14, 2012, 07:57:49 PM »
If it passes into the common usage, it's proper.  Shrug.

Offline atodasoh

« Reply #149: April 14, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
Grammar is so much more interesting than baseball.