Author Topic: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 2  (Read 20602 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 2
« Reply #675: April 14, 2010, 10:30:17 PM »
I'm from near Columbus and was living there when the Blue Jackets first came to Ohio.

They had a good season last year, but really dropped of this season. I think they can bring it back to playoff caliber again next year.
They have a very nice draft pick coming this year.  Good for them.  I want them to do well since I think Columbus has more potential as a hockey market than places like Nashville and Phoenix (WTF?), although I have more of an affinity for the Canucks out west.

« Reply #676: April 14, 2010, 10:31:23 PM »
Strangely enough, I remember the Blue Jackets having the Caps number last season and I think even part of this season too.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #677: April 14, 2010, 10:34:37 PM »
Nats management is claiming it's for his own good, but it has more to do with an baseball rule regarding players contracts. The Nats could lose a lot of money if they bring him up too early.

If I can find the article again, it explains the incentive to keep the best prospects in the minors.

If he is not brought up until June (assuming he doesn't have some freaky regression), it is clearly financial. He wasn't started immediately, because he's never really faced anything but college guys and needs to get acclimated to playing professionally. He could have been brought up immediately, but it is best to bring a guy up when he is prepared to succeed and stay up. After about 5 starts in the minors, given how lame our pitching staff is, there will likely be little actual baseball reason to not bringing him up to develop in the bigs. There's no reason to rush him if he is not ready. But he'll likely be ready before the June timeframe. The organization wants to control the situation financially, and be ready to showcase the kid for maximum marketing pull. Consequently, he likely won't be up until they had him pitch in the minors for an extended period.  

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #678: April 14, 2010, 10:53:49 PM »
Strangely enough, I remember the Blue Jackets having the Caps number last season and I think even part of this season too.
I only remember that Mason killed us in one game last season.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #679: April 14, 2010, 11:19:44 PM »
washingnats
I just learned from OF Roger Bernadina that the #Nats are calling up OF Justin Maxwell for Thursday's game vs. the Phillies.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #680: April 14, 2010, 11:22:35 PM »

And sending him down? Cutting Taveras? Putting someone on the DL?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #681: April 14, 2010, 11:27:48 PM »
washingnats
According to OF Roger Bernadina, GM Mike Rizzo said the #Nats will face a lot of lefties in the next week. Maxwell is needed now.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #682: April 14, 2010, 11:31:15 PM »
maxy has hit well the last couple games ... he's the guy.

on another note ... i'm sorry i let everyone down with the gameday thread.  i thought i had it tonight, didn't work out so well.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #683: April 14, 2010, 11:37:42 PM »
maxy has hit well the last couple games ... he's the guy.

on another note ... i'm sorry i let everyone down with the gameday thread.  i thought i had it tonight, didn't work out so well.
YOU jerk!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #684: April 14, 2010, 11:39:31 PM »

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #685: April 14, 2010, 11:40:31 PM »
i let you down
Don't let today's misfortune beat you tomorrow too.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #686: April 14, 2010, 11:46:50 PM »
Don't let today's misfortune beat you tomorrow too.

i try and won't skip...just felt like i let the team down

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #687: April 14, 2010, 11:48:21 PM »
Just go and get 'em tomorrow.  We've got 154 of 'em left.  It wasn't one thing that beat us tonight.