Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Randolph Oduber, OF  (Read 6391 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Follow the Prospects: Randolph Oduber, OF
« Topic Start: April 25, 2011, 01:47:15 PM »
Height:  6'3
Weight:  186
DOB:  3/18/1989
Hometown:  Paradera, Aruba
College:  Western Oklahoma JC
Position:  Outfield

The overwhelming majority of baseball prospects picked after round 10 serve as nothing more than short season filler and rarely make it low A ball.  Sometimes players drop to these rounds because of bonus demands and/or strong commitments to college teams, but occasionally there will be a guy that flies under everyone's radars and becomes a steal for the team that eventually picks him late.  While the odds are still stacked against him, Randolph Oduber appears to be a very good find by the Nationals scouting staff in the 2010 draft (32nd Round).

Hailing from the island of Aruba, Oduber was drafted by the San Francisco Giants during the 48th round in 2009.  He returned to school as a sophomore in an attempt to improve his draft stock, but dropped again in 2010 because of what seemed like a strong commitment to Oklahoma State as well as a surgery close to the draft to remove his appendix.  In 2010, playing for Western Oklahoma Junior College, Oduber led the team in hitting going .472/.556/.985 in 199 AB.  He also had 26 home runs (a school record) to go along with 26 SB (81.3 SB%).  After signing in July, Oduber debuted with the GCL Nats and would go on to become the GCL MVP.  In his minor league debut season, Oduber hit .324/.387/.503 with 4 HR, 31 RBI, and 18 SB in 201 AB.  He was promoted to Hagerstown for the remainder of the 2010 campaign, where he struggled getting only 2 hits in 26 at bats.

He has started the 2011 season with the Hagerstown Suns and is off to a decent start.  In 72 plate appearances he is batting .266/.347/.422.  He also has 7 stolen bases, has yet to be picked off, and has been a spark plug for the Hagerstown Suns.  While he still has much to prove and is not without flaws in his game, Oduber is a guy that many Nationals fans will find easy to root for.

The Good:  The guy has great speed, even getting an inside the park home run during spring training and is an extremely smart baserunner (25 for 26 in stolen base attempts for his minor league career).  He also has good power to go along with the speed and probably can be expected to hit around 20 home runs per a season at this point in his career.  As a late round pick with something to prove, Oduber is an extremely hard worker and always one of the first guys to show up, last guys to leave.

The Bad:  Like many minor league hitters, Oduber (age 22) must improve on hitting breaking pitches.  Currently, he is getting too far in front of these pitches and will need to get the timing down in order to have success at higher levels.  While his on base percentage is decent, it isn't because of walks.  Oduber has taken just 19 in 273 career PA, while striking out 69 times.  And finally, while he has good speed, his fielding is probably not good enough for CF and he profiles as a potential corner outfielder.

Links:
Video of Oduber from 2010 draft
Baseball Reference Page
Milb.com Page

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Follow The Prospects: Randolph Oduber
« Reply #1: April 25, 2011, 02:16:57 PM »
Great find on the video!

I'd been looking for video/photos of the guy since he was drafted!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: April 25, 2011, 02:24:10 PM »
In those 30 seconds even you see a lot to like about this kid.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #3: April 25, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »
In those 30 seconds even you see a lot to like about this kid.

There was a lot to like about Justin "All He Needs is a Chance!!!!!" Maxwell too! :)

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #4: April 25, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
Nice overall guy. He is a big skinny guy too I bet he could develop some power someday.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #5: April 26, 2011, 07:52:28 AM »
Nice overall guy. He is a big skinny guy too I bet he could develop some power someday.

The thing that worries me most about him is the BB/K ratio...

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #6: April 26, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
In that video, he looked a bit mechanical in his movements.  Not very fluid. 

Not that I'm any kind of scouting expert or anything, but definitely didn't look like like a CF to me.  I also saw the power potential.

Offline JMUalumni

Re: Follow the Prospects: Randolph Oduber, OF
« Reply #7: May 11, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
Quick Update on Oduber.

He is batting .278/.352/.391 on the season.  He also currently leads the South Atlantic League with 13 stolen bases (in 14 attempts).  Two major concerns in regards to him persist.  First, his lack of walks (only 9 on the season).  Second, in tandem with the dearth of walks is the abundance of strikeouts (37), which is good for sixth in the Sally league.  He also has been lacking in the extra base department (7), after starting the season strong.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #8: May 17, 2011, 01:08:42 PM »
Good article by Byron Kerr on Oduber yesterday:

"I have been hitting the ball pretty well," Oduber said. "I have been struggling a little bit. That is baseball. You just got to get used to it and work with it. Every day is a different day."

"I am very excited," Oduber said. "I knew from day one this team was a great team. In spring training, we played very well. I am very happy to play with these guys every day. It is a great club, not only on the field, but off the field."

Oduber said Suns' hitting coach and former major leaguer Marlon Anderson has had the young outfielder concentrate on his timing in the batter's box.

"It is not only something I am dealing with this year, it is pretty much every year I have trouble with it," Oduber said. "It is going to get better. I will just work on that and get back on track."

Oduber said playing alongside the multi-talented Bryce Harper, Wade Moore and Michael Taylor in the Suns' outfield has made him an even better player. They are learning how to roam the inconsistent grass and monitor uneven outfield walls you would expect at different stops in the South Atlantic League.

"I saw that (we were going to be good) in spring training," Oduber said."When we came here, they talked to us about this outfield. We worked on the track, the wall and the grass. (Each day,) you can see the results. We are playing very good outfield defense, getting good communication with each other. It is going pretty good right now."

http://www.masnsports.com/byron_kerr/2011/05/prospect-oduber-concentrates-on-timing-at-plate.html

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #9: June 27, 2011, 01:03:38 PM »
Tough break for Oduber:

Oduber reinjured his hamstring and could be out for a long period of the second half.

http://www.herald-mail.com/sports/baseball/hm-bbm-suns-shift-focus-to-second-half-20110625,0,5643926.story

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #10: August 26, 2011, 08:59:47 AM »
Oduber is rehabbing with the GCL Nats.  Played 4 games since 8/17.  Looks like Wednesday was his first full game.  He was 3 for 5 with 2 doubles, 3 runs scored and 2 steals.  3 steals so far in his rehab. Nice to see him run.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #11: August 26, 2011, 09:15:38 AM »
Last I heard the Nats were expecting him to be out for the rest of the season.  Unless he rushed himself back, this is great news.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: August 26, 2011, 09:20:33 AM »
Last I heard the Nats were expecting him to be out for the rest of the season.  Unless he rushed himself back, this is great news.
He's not back in Hagerstown, so I guess in that sense he's still out for the season, but it looks like he could play in the Florida Instructional League.  Right now, they are giving him a day off between appearances.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: September 01, 2011, 08:39:06 AM »
Back with a vengeance at Hagerstown.  3 games - 5 for 11, 1 2B, 1 HR, 3 SB (1 CS)., 2 BB, 3 K, 4 RBI.

Offline RD

« Reply #14: September 01, 2011, 10:25:55 AM »
Its too bad his hammy acted up and took him out of almost half the season.

He seems to be raw, but has fantastic tools to work with. He needs experience to develop his eye and patience at the plate. He's getting up there in age though. Not a top prospect because of that, but definitely one of those guys who could break into the league at 26 and be a productive player going forward.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15: September 01, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »
23 next spring.  That's getting old unless he makes Harrisburg by the end of the year.  Do you think they'll start him at Potomac next year or make him repeat Hagerstown due to injury?  It's tough because this was going to be his first season at a first season level.  What would be Potomac's outfield next year?  Taylor - Goodwin - Oduber?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #16: September 01, 2011, 01:59:03 PM »
Then you have Keyes who needs a spot as well. It'll be crowded.

Offline RD

« Reply #17: September 01, 2011, 02:33:09 PM »
I wouldnt be surprised to see Goodwin start at Hagerstown. He's considered a big time talent, but he's only 2 years removed from HS, and one of those years was at the JC level. I would think Hagerstown is the expected destination for him next year IMO.

So that leaves Oduber/Taylor/Keyes open in the OF. I think JP Ramirez should repeat Potomac as well, but between DH and 1b(where Keyes and Ramirez could play some games I think it'll all be ok.

When Goodwin is ready for a promotion, one of those guys could kick up to Harrisburg(most likely Oduber or Keyes over Taylor, because of age).

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #18: April 05, 2012, 12:31:48 PM »
Oduber will start the year in Potomac and will probably play mostly LF with Kevin Keyes and Michael Taylor.  Just like last season, he garnered some rave reviews for his potential and work ethic from members of the Nats development staff.  He has the tools to succeed, but he needs to become more consistent and will need to stay healthy.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #19: April 24, 2012, 09:37:18 AM »
Oduber is off to a slow start at Potomac with a .222/.250/.333 slash line, but he has been doing much better since being moved to the leadoff position 5 or 6 games ago.  The 18:2 SO:BB ratio is particularly troubling.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #20: April 24, 2012, 09:40:03 AM »
Sounds like the perfect leadoff hitter for the Nats.  Has he seen Moneyball?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #21: April 27, 2012, 01:12:29 PM »
Hopefully Oduber is starting to catch on fire, last three games:

4-10, 4 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 3 BB, 2 SO, 1 SB

Would still like him to improve his patience at the plate, but his 5 walks for the season is already a third of the total he took last year at Hagerstown (yikes).  Maybe he is embracing the leadoff role and trying to get on base more since being slotted there a few games ago.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #22: May 06, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
Then you have Keyes who needs a spot as well. It'll be crowded.

dont forget hayes

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23: May 06, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »
Well, those BB sightings may have been like that long-billed woodpecker down in Arkansas.  One and done?

through 103 PAs in A+, he's .231 / .290 / .363, and his BB% is only slightly up from last year (6.3% to 6.%).  7 on the season, or 2 in the past week or so since JMU posted. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #24: May 08, 2012, 02:25:14 PM »
http://www.masnsports.com/byron_kerr/2012/05/injury-free-oduber-adjusting-to-new-level-of-competition.html

-------------

Injury-free, Oduber adjusting to new level of competition
 May 7, 2012 5:41 PM by Byron Kerr

Right-handed hitter Randolph Oduber is making the step-by-step transition from low Single-A Hagerstown to high Single-A Potomac and getting adjusted to his new surroundings and new teammates.

Oduber said teammates Kevin Keyes, Michael Taylor and Wade Moore have developed good camaraderie working the Pfitzner Stadium outfield through the first month of the season.

"It is going really good," Oduber said. "Our communication is really good right now. Every inning, we talk and every situation, we talk about it and what we are going to do. Who is going to catch that ball depends on the sun and the batter. We discuss each play during the game, and then review after the game."

The 23-year old Oduber has connected on three homers and 11 RBIs while batting .224 through 26 games. The native Aruban hit .311 in 60 games last season with five homers and 26 RBIs, his season abbreviated because a severe hamstring injury. But Oduber was pleased to be able to start this season injury-free.

The 6-foot-3, 186 lb. Oduber has also transitioned well under new manager Brian Rupp after learning under Brian Daubach last season.

"(Rupp) is a fun guy," Oduber said. "He gets you to stay relaxed on the field. He treats us like grown men, that is the biggest thing.

Although the P-Nats got off to a sluggish start, they are starting to gain a measure of momentum. After starting the season 6-11, the P-Nats have won six of their last 10 games to get within three games of the .500 mark (12-15). They are three-and-a-half games out of first place in the Northern Division behind Lynchburg.

"We are starting to get into a groove," Oduber said. "Our pitchers are letting us stay in the game so we can do something. Pretty soon, it will be our time to picking it up and start hitting, try and give our pitchers a little bit of rest."

It also is not lost on these young prospects how well the Nationals are playing through 28 games.

"We watch them every night," Oduber said. "It is great when they are winning and we are winning. If we get done early, we go into the clubhouse and watch them and start screaming at the television. The whole organization is happy then."

Oduber has played at three levels in the Nationals organization so far (starting at GCL Nationals in 2010) and has viewed first-hand how the team has been building to this point.

"You can see the improvement in the bigs, but also in the minors," Oduber noted. "If something happens to one of the guys in the majors, one of the younger guys gets called up he is going to be ready to play."