4 (17.4%)
Rays
0 (0%)
Twins
2 (8.7%)
Rangers
6 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: 2010 MLB Playoffs Discussion & Predictions  (Read 12456 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Congrats to Cincy.  Fantastic moment with Bruce hitting the walk off to clinch the playoff spot. 

Offline NatsDad14

The same was said about Pujols. He got signed. I'm not worried.
Pujols is from the "area". He was never going to leave because there was no market for him. The only teams who could have conceivably signed him were the Yankees and they were paying Giambi at the time.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Pujols is from the "area". He was never going to leave because there was no market for him. The only teams who could have conceivably signed him were the Yankees and they were paying Giambi at the time.

LOLWUT? Isn't he from the Dominican by way of Florida?

Offline NatsDad14

LOLWUT? Isn't he from the Dominican by way of Florida?
He lived in that area when he moved to the United States. He lived in Missouri during his high school/community college years. btw, did you know that Pujols played for the Potomac Cannons in 2000?

Offline Coladar

Zimm is from Virginia and went to UVA, his parents still live in Sandbridge and he does a lot with causes to support his mom, so his ties to the area are strong.  He's also the face of the franchise here.

I agree it will take a lot to keep him, but I don't see him in a hurry to go anywhere else.  Besides, he gets a great deal on a Mercedes in Arlington.

I agree completely. Going to the game tonight, they had a picture of a young, eight or nine years old, Zimmerman to celebrate his birthday. He was decked out in Redskins gear. Bottom line, Zimmerman won't want to stay on a 100 loss team for years no matter what. But he does have a strong connection to this region, and so long as the team makes strides, I think it's enough to push him to stay so long as the offers are equivalent. Playing for your "closest major market" team, not to mention playing near your family and friends, is a strong motivation. Being the face of the franchise instead of another all-star on a team of all-stars doesn't hurt either. We'd have to be pretty bad for Zimmerman not to accept a competitive contract when the time comes.

Online HalfSmokes

Do we know how much winning actually matters to these guys (no I'm not insulting them or calling them losers)? How often do you hear former athletes interviewed say it matters more to the fans? If Zimmerman has deep ties here and the team offers him a boat load of money, he may decide stability and roots are more important than rings.

Offline PANatsFan

He lived in that area when he moved to the United States. He lived in Missouri during his high school/community college years. btw, did you know that Pujols played for the Potomac Cannons in 2000?

I don't know why I thought he went to CC in Florida.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Do we know how much winning actually matters to these guys (no I'm not insulting them or calling them losers)?

Damn, somebody's hacked into HalfSmokes account.

:o

Offline PANatsFan

Damn, somebody's hacked into HalfSmokes account.

:o

Hey, I just got that :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
tomorrow is going to be really interesting.   If the Padres and Braves both win tomorrow, then the Padres play the Giants in a one-game playoff for the NL West, the loser flies to Atlanta to play a 1-game playoff for the wild card spot.

Offline hammondsnats

teams i wouldn't mind seeing win:

twins, rays, rangers, giants, reds (and yankees if they go against the phillies). 

Offline Coladar

So Yankees lose the second game tonight. Oh, btw, it only ended at 1:10am or so. So the Rays need to win or hope NYY loses. Honestly, I'd prefer the wild card if I were the Rays. A struggling Twins on the road or Cliff Lee and the Rangers at home? No contest. But they want to win the division, so here's hoping they pull it off tomorrow.

The Yankees are screwed. Two ten inning games. Atrocious performances by their starters. Burnett and Pettite were both trying to audition for the playoffs, and both didn't do much to help their chances. But anyway, two ten inning games. Two games that lasted four hours. Eight hours in one day. Game didn't end until well after 1am. Then they have to play again in 12 hours. Figure maybe five or six hours of sleep if they are lucky. Then play another likely four hour game tomorrow. They went through pretty much their entire bullpen today, used two catchers with a day game tomorrow. That rain on Friday might have just killed the Yankees 2010 season. They have two days off, to rest up and whatnot, but playing a night like tonight and then to have a day game? When their opponent on Weds is well rested, and has spent the past week setting up so all their players have played enough and rested enough to be ready? They are screwed.

The NL is shaping up to be freaking awesome tomorrow. I hope San Diego wins, just so we can see the 164 game season with games Monday and Tuesday. I still hope the Giants make it, since San Diego just doesn't deserve it. They have sucked beyond belief the past month, and have holes so deep they don't stand a chance. SF does deserve it. So have SF win Monday, and Atlanta win Tuesday.

Offline Coladar

I've been reading up, and I still can't figure this out. Hopefully the answer doesn't prove it's too moronic of a question, but I cannot get it. If the Padres win and Braves win, all three teams are tied. You then have SF and SD play a one game playoff on Monday, then the loser plays Atlanta Tuesday. Any other situation and the Padres and Giants get decided by the season series. What makes this scenario unique and ignore the season series as the deciding factor between SF and SD?

In other words, with SF, SD and Atlanta tied at 91-71, why aren't the Padres the NL West champions winning the season series 11-5, and thus SF playing Atlanta for the Wild Card on Monday? Why is it that having the two NL West teams tied with Atlanta results in the season series no longer factoring into deciding the NL West champions? Is it because Atlanta won both season series over SD and SF? That still shouldn't factor into it as Atlanta isn't in the NL West, but I just haven't been able to figure this one out on my own.

Online imref

the tiebreakers only come into play if two teams are tied for first, since a third team is in the mix, the rule is as follows:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/division_ties.shtml

Scenario #5: If three Clubs in a League are tied with identical winning percentages at the end of the championship season and two of those tied Clubs are from the same Division and are also tied for first place in that Division and the third tied Club has the highest winning percentage among the second-place Clubs in the remaining two Divisions, the Division Champion shall first be determined by a one-game playoff on Monday, September 29. Any playoff games played to determine a Division champion shall not count in determining which Clubs are deemed tied for a Wild Card designation. Clubs that were originally tied with a Club or Clubs for a Wild Card designation shall still be considered tied.b

Example of Scenario #5: The Houston Astros, St. Louis Cardinals and Florida Marlins all have identical winning percentages at the end of the championship season. The Astros and Cardinals are tied for first place in the NL Central and the Marlins have the highest winning percentage among the second-place Clubs from the NL East and NL West. The Astros and Cardinals would play a one-game playoff on Monday, September 29. The winner shall be declared the Division Champion. Despite the loss, the losing Club would still be considered tied with the Marlins for the lead in the NL Wild Card. Those two Clubs would play a one-game playoff on Tuesday, September 30. The winner of that game shall be declared the Wild Card.

Offline PANatsFan

Looks like SD at SF is going to be on MLB Network.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Red Sox have really exposed the NYY's bullpen's weakness in stopping base stealers. they had 4 in an inning in the 7th to open up a big lead. 2 double steals again, one a delayed steal that scored the runner on third after a throw down to 2d.  Maybe they threw down to 2d to show it so they can throw to 3d to catch someone napping in the playoffs, but otherwise, Jorge looks weak.

Offline PANatsFan

Cmon Braves, I'm on vacation, I need 2 playoff games.

Online imref

braves win.

Offline PANatsFan

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
1 play-in guaranteed then?

No. A Padres loss = no play-in.

Offline PANatsFan

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Too late.  Friars out, Braves In.

AL - Go Twins and Rangers

NL - Go Braves and Cincy

Online HalfSmokes

Damn I was hoping for 1 game playoff for west followed by 1 game playoff for wild card

Offline PC

It would have been so great to have two play-in games but the Baseball Gods wouldn't allow it.  >:(