Author Topic: Cubs sign Fukodome to 4-year Deal  (Read 1301 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Cubs sign Fukodome to 4-year Deal
« Topic Start: December 12, 2007, 12:06:36 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3151060

The agent for Kosuke Fukudome said that the player would make up his mind on a major league team quickly after deciding to come to the United States. He was true to his word.

After deciding to play in the U.S. early Tuesday morning, Fukudome chose the Cubs' offer on Tuesday night, ESPN 1000 in Chicago reported.

The two sides have reportedly agreed on a four-year deal, but the exact dollar amount was still being worked out. Earlier media reports said that the Cubs were willing to pay the career .305 hitter between $12 million and $14 million per season.

The San Diego Padres, Chicago White Sox, San Francisco Giants and Texas Rangers were also rumored to have interest in Fukudome, who will likely play right field in Wrigley Field.

"I think we're all in the same boat," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said earlier Tuesday, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. "We're hopeful that the player chooses our place."

After hitting .351 with 31 homers and 104 RBIs in 2006, Fukudome won the Most Valuable Player award in the Japanese Central League. His 2007 season was limited to 81 games due to an injury that required elbow surgery.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Re: Cubs sign Fukodome to 4-year Deal
« Reply #1: December 12, 2007, 04:38:08 AM »
Who the hell is Kosuke Dome?  And please Sportsfan, watch the language.   :icon_mrgreen: 

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #2: December 12, 2007, 07:00:02 AM »
Definitely the most snicker-inducing name in baseball.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #3: December 12, 2007, 07:17:33 AM »
Definitely the most snicker-inducing name in baseball.

Fukumori might have him beaten :)

This deal surprises me. Fukudome said only a few weeks ago that he would only play on the west coast.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4: December 12, 2007, 09:07:24 AM »

I don't know about that. This one has the first part of it and also adds a shot of dome  :shock:  ;)  :lol:  :D

natsfan1a

« Reply #5: December 12, 2007, 10:02:34 AM »
But the other name has the added benefit of a built-in comparative. :)

I don't know about that. This one has the first part of it and also adds a shot of dome  :shock:  ;)  :lol:  :D

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #6: December 12, 2007, 12:42:36 PM »
Or you could always split up the word dome into Do Me :lol:

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #7: December 12, 2007, 02:37:33 PM »
This deal surprises me. Fukudome said only a few weeks ago that he would only play on the west coast.

The Cubs probably told him that Chicago WAS on the west coast... AND they have a DOME.  Chicago Park, California is northeast of San Francisco. 

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #8: December 13, 2007, 12:49:47 PM »
Alright, say what you want about F***-yer-dumb-eh whatever, he looks to be a solid player.  The White Sox actually offered him 2 million more than the Cubs and an already excellent Japanese support system (left from Tad Iguchi) and went with the Cubs.  Why?  Supposedly, he wanted to be the first Japanese player for whatever team he signed with, plus he wanted assurances he would start in right field (I guess the White Sox couldn't do that with Jermaine Dye, but if we moved Dye to left, that would be a nice outfield with Owens in center).  The clincher seemed to be a coach Fukudome had in Japan had been an associate of Pinella's in Seattle, and thus Fukudome wanted to play for Lou.  With the Sox supposedly being oh-so-close but missing out on every major opportunity this winter so far -- torii Hunter, Miguel Cabrerra, Aaron Rowand, and Fukudome -- we are definitely the Rodney Dangerfield of the AL -- no respect!!

natsfan1a

« Reply #9: December 13, 2007, 01:29:03 PM »
Not to dis your team's Dangerfield factor, but what about the Rays and the Royals?

With the Sox supposedly being oh-so-close but missing out on every major opportunity this winter so far -- torii Hunter, Miguel Cabrerra, Aaron Rowand, and Fukudome -- we are definitely the Rodney Dangerfield of the AL -- no respect!!

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #10: December 14, 2007, 12:33:57 AM »
Not to dis your team's Dangerfield factor, but what about the Rays and the Royals?

The Rays and Royals didn't win their city's only World Series title in 87 years two years ago, and, between the Cubs and Sox together, the only World Series title in a combined 189 seasons of baseball.  The Rays and Royals never had a chance at Hunter, Rowand, Cabrerra or Fukudome.  They're off the "no respect" radar.