Author Topic: Not venting: just grief  (Read 2185 times)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Re: Not venting: just grief
« Reply #25: October 14, 2012, 01:21:19 AM »
Yup.  Emptiness, not rage.  And no interest in watching either LCS.  I might, just might, watch a few innings of a Giants-Tigers WS, but otherwise, the kids have free rein of the TV until April.

Emptiness is a good way to describe it for me as well.  And I think it would have been a lot different if I had been watching on TV instead of at the park.  It was just total shock.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #26: October 14, 2012, 02:41:08 AM »
It was terrible watching on TV.

OK, it sounds sloppy and soopy, but I have waited my whole life for he Nats to make the playoffs and win a pennant and then win a WS

This was something like losing SB 7, losing while heavily favored in SB 18.

Offline Ziggity

« Reply #27: October 14, 2012, 03:25:00 AM »
I moved to the Bay Area from Fairfax in Feb (i could have been the jinx).  I was really hoping to get to see the boys play in SF and wave that red towel.  Its bittersweet that i was unable to watch any MASN in the postseason.  I know I would have teared up even more listening to Ray and Johnny post game. 

The only thing I have been focusing on since the loss is how proud I am of the Nats.  These guys played their hearts out all season.  We show our love and appreciation to the players and they give it right back. DC has something to look forward to for years to come. 

As far as the NLCS, I won't be able to escape it.  I manage a bar at a brewery and its Giants fans everywhere.  They were at least very sympathetic to me today, true fans of the sport.  I will be pulling for the Giants to crush the birds.     

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #28: October 14, 2012, 10:24:58 AM »
I'm glad I wasn't there. Being there for Jayson Werth's walkoff was epic, but I know Game 5 would have been so much worse than Game 4 was awesome.

I watched MLB Network for almost 3 hours after the game in disbelief. Don't know why. Maybe I was looking for an answer.

You know a loss is heart breaking when I, in Cardinals country, get almost 10 "Sorry man, was rooting for the Nats" texts and no taunting texts. Usually I can count on the opposite.

I will say the further we get from the loss the more I go from grief to anger.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #29: October 14, 2012, 10:27:49 AM »
The "thank you fans" tweets form the players are depressing.  Makes you realize that the season IS over.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #30: October 14, 2012, 12:07:58 PM »
Agreed.
The "thank you fans" tweets form the players are depressing.  Makes you realize that the season IS over.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #31: October 14, 2012, 12:17:19 PM »

Same reason I haven't archived the 2012 postseason section yet :(

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #32: October 14, 2012, 12:37:12 PM »
I am officially over it. Less than 48 hours. Time to think about spring training and how the team can get better in the offseason.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #33: October 14, 2012, 12:47:53 PM »
I am officially over it. Less than 48 hours. Time to think about spring training and how the team can get better in the offseason.

I'm still not over it but I am thinking about spring training.   My son and I went in '08 and had a blast.   Did a FL tour while we were instate (Daytona, Busch Gardens, etc.).    I think another trip may be just what the doctor ordered.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #34: October 14, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »
Still kind of numb and sad.  My cousin took me out for lunch yesterday for my birthday.  THEN bought me 4 cupcakes from Georgetown cupcakes to drown my sorrows. 

Every day of this season was filled with hope.  Every bad game had 'there's always tomorrow'.  Now there's no tomorrow and no hockey to ease the transition.  Kind of 'what do I do now?' Sportswise.

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #35: October 14, 2012, 04:44:03 PM »
Still kind of numb and sad.  My cousin took me out for lunch yesterday for my birthday.  THEN bought me 4 cupcakes from Georgetown cupcakes to drown my sorrows. 

Every day of this season was filled with hope.  Every bad game had 'there's always tomorrow'.  Now there's no tomorrow and no hockey to ease the transition.  Kind of 'what do I do now?' Sportswise.

Great profile pic. 

Sums it all up. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #36: October 14, 2012, 05:19:38 PM »
Wizards?

Kidding. I'm kidding.

Offline grizzly

« Reply #37: October 14, 2012, 05:22:14 PM »
I'm still devastated.  Everything is a little less interesting today.   :'(

I ordered Domino's Pizza today and for the tracker theme, I always choose the baseball theme.  Today, I chose the silent Domino's tracker theme.

lol

Offline grizzly

« Reply #38: October 14, 2012, 05:28:18 PM »
Reading this thread is therapeutic, it helps ease the pain knowing we all feel it.

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #39: October 14, 2012, 05:39:47 PM »
Reading this thread is therapeutic, it helps ease the pain knowing we all feel it.

Yep.  Same here.  I cant read national media right now, but reading fellow fans grieve helps a lot.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #40: October 14, 2012, 08:50:52 PM »
I turned on the ALCS game today. Couldn't bear to watch. Switched channels after 30 seconds or so. Too soon.

I will not watch one second of the NLCS.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #41: October 14, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »
I turned on the ALCS game today. Couldn't bear to watch. Switched channels after 30 seconds or so. Too soon.

I try not to :stir: TOO much, but I can't help it here ...  wat?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #42: October 14, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »
i can watch the ALCS, but i can't watch the NLCS.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #43: October 14, 2012, 09:03:23 PM »

Same here.  Although I did check scores of the ALCS.  I hate rhe Yankees!

You guys understand it not "just a game" as my Mom used to say.  It's a feeling of true grief and almost like a death in the family.  You go through the same process.  After the game it was shock and anger.  I yelled at a group of Cards fans yelping and screaming F-YOU!  THANKS FOR PAYING OFF THE UMPIRE!  I was extremely angry.  Nowjust stunned sadness!  I dread going to work.  Everyone knows Im a Crazy Nats fan!

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #44: October 14, 2012, 09:22:17 PM »
I try not to :stir: TOO much, but I can't help it here ...  wat?

The pain is gone. But the wound is still there and I don't want to pour salt on it.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #45: October 14, 2012, 09:25:07 PM »
A full day of NFL action tomorrow should help some. Until the Skins take it in the ass.  :hang:

The Skins, quite unexpectantly, put a smile back on my face.  RGIII is the real deal!

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #46: October 14, 2012, 09:26:39 PM »

You guys understand it not "just a game" as my Mom used to say.  It's a feeling of true grief and almost like a death in the family.  You go through the same process.  After the game it was shock and anger.  I yelled at a group of Cards fans yelping and screaming F-YOU!  THANKS FOR PAYING OFF THE UMPIRE!  I was extremely angry.  Nowjust stunned sadness!  I dread going to work.  Everyone knows Im a Crazy Nats fan!

So on Sat. morning my wife had this goofy giggle going on when we started to talk about the game. (She did not go to the game with me.) I gave her a look that clearly indicated that giggling was not appropriate. She got it right away. She apologized and switched gears after she realized the gravity of the situation.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #47: October 14, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »
I'm heartbroken

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #48: October 14, 2012, 09:39:38 PM »

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #49: October 14, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »
I do understand the grief.

Fortunately, it's one season's death. A fresh new starts to ramp up in about in 120 days or so. Are you thinking about a Spring Training trip? I am. Even if I don't get to go (two kids in college), I'm planning it.

It's gonna be a great year next year. I can feel it. I  can feel the first time I get a sunburn in the hot May sun sitting on the first base side. I can feel that moment after the third for fourth game down there when I realize the Park really isn't that big. The first beer in the Loft is gonna taste great. A half smoke up there at those picnic tables you like to sit at will still be sloppy and hard to eat.  The crowds will be a little bigger, the Metro track work will mostly be done, and there will be more places outside the Park for visitors. More 20-somethings will gather up at that big outdoor bar and root like hell next year.

Winter will suck because Winter always sucks(okay, no Caps maybe, so it'll suck even more). But it'll be Spring again. New green grass and more things you've never seen before.

How freaking lucky are we?