Author Topic: MLS Cup at RFK in 2007  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
MLS Cup at RFK in 2007
« Topic Start: December 14, 2006, 12:54:33 AM »
...to be officially announced tomorrow.  This is U.S. soccer's Superbowl, so great news!!!  Ole ole ole...

Offline Dave B

MLS Cup at RFK in 2007
« Reply #1: December 14, 2006, 07:34:38 AM »
Not a bad idea considering United draws almost as many people to its games as the MLS Cup. You'll probably get the 20k United fans plus whatever. The MLS Cup only drew 22k this year

• babble on
MLS Cup at RFK in 2007
« Reply #2: December 14, 2006, 02:21:27 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
Not a bad idea considering United draws almost as many people to its games as the MLS Cup. You'll probably get the 20k United fans plus whatever. The MLS Cup only drew 22k this year

...but the 22k was in fact a sellout crowd (it's a single-use soccer stadium with only ~22,000 seats).  Last time DC United appeared in an MLS Cup final at RFK, it also sold out, and last time the MLS Cup was at RFK (but without DC United), it still drew 40,000.  I'll be going to the MLS Cup final regardless of who is playing DCU  :P

• babble on
MLS Cup at RFK in 2007
« Reply #3: December 16, 2006, 08:51:45 PM »
To anyone reading this who hasn't been to a DC United game...GO!  The bouncing stands and the noise and the energy is quite extraordinary.  I am a baseball fan to the bones, but baseball games are rewarding in a very different sense than soccer..at a typical weekend DCU game, there will be 20,000 people who stand and sing and beat drums and wave flags for the entire game, and the team clearly feeds off of it.  Baseball is very nuanced and the real fans tend to concentrate closely on the details of the game...whereas 'the footie' is emotional and LOUD.  Very different animals, and equally awesome in my book.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
MLS Cup at RFK in 2007
« Reply #4: December 16, 2006, 09:26:29 PM »
I would...but my Spanish is really bad.   :cry:

Offline Dave B

MLS Cup at RFK in 2007
« Reply #5: December 17, 2006, 12:12:25 PM »
Quote from: "Ali the Baseball Cat"

...but the 22k was in fact a sellout crowd (it's a single-use soccer stadium with only ~22,000 seats).  Last time DC United appeared in an MLS Cup final at RFK, it also sold out, and last time the MLS Cup was at RFK (but without DC United), it still drew 40,000.  I'll be going to the MLS Cup final regardless of who is playing DCU  :P

I saw a re-run of the first MLS final at RFK and it blew my mind to see it packed for a soccer game.  Its pretty cool. I'd like for soccer to catch on big time here.

I dont know if you saw it, but there is a documentary called "Once in a Lifetime: The Story of the NY Cosmos".  For 4 years they were the biggest draw in NY.  Bigger than the Yankees.  One guy in it said they were as big as Man U and Real Madrid. It blew my mind (I was not born yet).   They were regularly selling out Giants stadium for regular season games.  You shoudl check it out

• babble on
MLS Cup at RFK in 2007
« Reply #6: December 19, 2006, 12:19:31 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion...I haven't seen it, but I know of it.  The Cosmos were a dream team, no, make that a DREAM TEAM...I guess they needed other dream teams to play against, not to be had in N. America.  I recall going to Washington Diplomats NASL games at RFK around 1980...Johan Cruyff (awesome Dutch international superstar played for us) drew thousands of fans.  I think the NASL would have made it 20 years later, but back then, outside of the big metro areas (NY/LA/WAS/CHI), the footie just couldn't do it.

Quote from: "Ali the Baseball Cat"

I saw a re-run of the first MLS final at RFK and it blew my mind to see it packed for a soccer game.  Its pretty cool. I'd like for soccer to catch on big time here.

I dont know if you saw it, but there is a documentary called "Once in a Lifetime: The Story of the NY Cosmos".  For 4 years they were the biggest draw in NY.  Bigger than the Yankees.  One guy in it said they were as big as Man U and Real Madrid. It blew my mind (I was not born yet).   They were regularly selling out Giants stadium for regular season games.  You shoudl check it out

• babble on
MLS Cup at RFK in 2007
« Reply #7: December 19, 2006, 11:04:48 AM »
...and just to mix things up a bit, a large group of DC United fans (Barra Brava and Screaming Eagles) will be going to the Caps/Flyers game on Jan 8 to cheer on the homeys...so for once, it will be all but impossible to hear those obnoxious Philly fans.  DC soccer fans are LOUD.

Offline PC