Author Topic: Microsoft thread  (Read 61209 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Microsoft thread
« Reply #500: March 06, 2012, 08:22:41 AM »
storage spaces does sound cool but Joe computer buyer will never use it.

@Nathan, not sure if serious :lol:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #501: March 06, 2012, 09:01:18 AM »
Now if only asus comes out with a transformer that runs windows 8

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #502: March 06, 2012, 02:15:21 PM »
storage spaces does sound cool but Joe computer buyer will never use it.

@Nathan, not sure if serious :lol:

Not serious, as you said Joe computer buyer will never use it, that's not a "game changer."

Offline PC

« Reply #503: March 06, 2012, 02:57:54 PM »
Not serious, as you said Joe computer buyer will never use it, that's not a "game changer."

GAME CHANGER!!  :metal:

Offline PC

« Reply #504: March 20, 2012, 09:26:05 PM »
Now THIS ad belongs here:

Offline PC

« Reply #505: March 21, 2012, 07:21:29 PM »
NOW I can say it, after a few weeks of use:

PITCH PERFECT!  The greatest OS since Windows 7!!!

Offline PC

« Reply #506: March 25, 2012, 09:22:07 PM »
If you're still one of the ones out there with a Technet subscription, they've reduced the number of activation keys again!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsoft-slashes-product-key-allowances-for-technet-subscribers/4644?tag=mantle_skin;content

RAT BASTARDS!  >:(

Offline Nathan

« Reply #507: March 25, 2012, 09:28:14 PM »
If you're still one of the ones out there with a Technet subscription, they've reduced the number of activation keys again!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsoft-slashes-product-key-allowances-for-technet-subscribers/4644?tag=mantle_skin;content

RAT BASTARDS!  >:(

Well, at least I have a new reason to give them when they make their monthly calls every day for a week for why I won't re-sub.

What will they do to the keys you already have?  I hope they don't take those away too, or I'm going to have some pissed off "evaluators" in my family :couch:

Offline PC

« Reply #508: March 25, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »
They let you keep them.  The only product I've used more than 3 activation keys is Windows 7 Home Premium (4 of them) and the site tells me that I've activated 4 of 3 available keys.  :lol:  I also have a MSDN subscription (the cheapest one) which still has 10 keys for each SKU of each version of Windows so I still have TONS of Windows activation keys available.  The problem is Office.  The cheap MSDN sub doesn't include Office activations so I only have them from my Technet sub.

For Office 2010, they only give us Professional Plus and Standard which means you have six activation keys total.  Well six times 15 because that purportedly how many times you can activate each key.  With Office 2007, they gave you more SKUs.   You got Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional Plus, Professional and Standard.

I use a lot of activations because I use a lot of VMs.  If you move one virtual machine from one host machine to another, it requires another activation (for Windows and Office). It's only happened once where I've used an activation key so many times that I have to give another key and that was a Windows XP VM.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #509: March 25, 2012, 10:30:28 PM »
NOW I can say it, after a few weeks of use:

PITCH PERFECT!  The greatest OS since Windows 7!!!

lol.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #510: March 25, 2012, 10:44:15 PM »
Windows 8 would be a great next step from 7 if they'd only make metro optional for laptop/desktop folk.  Sigh.

Offline PC

« Reply #511: March 25, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »
Windows 8 would be a great next step from 7 if they'd only make metro optional for laptop/desktop folk.  Sigh.

Why?  Even if you "started" from the desktop, you'd still have function through the start screen.  You wouldn't get the start menu back with it.  The start menu is dead.  All you'd save is the one click to take you from the start screen to the desktop.

Also this:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/the-metro-haters-guide-to-customizing-windows-8-consumer-preview/4610?tag=mantle_skin;content

Offline Nathan

« Reply #512: March 25, 2012, 10:51:36 PM »
Why?  Even if you "started" from the desktop, you'd still have function through the start screen.  You wouldn't get the start menu back with it.  The start menu is dead.  All you'd save is the one click to take you from the start screen to the desktop.

That's what he, and others including myself, want back, at least as an option.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #513: March 25, 2012, 10:52:48 PM »
PC no offense but I'm not even going to bother trying to explain my preferences to you on this matter :lol:

Offline PC

« Reply #514: March 25, 2012, 10:57:43 PM »
That's what he, and others including myself, want back, at least as an option.

But the desktop isn't the OS anymore.  The desktop is, functionally, an app.  Just an app that your run other apps on top of.

If you the desktop, the start screen runs all through it.  The "charms" bar on the right.  The task switcher on the left.  When you put in a DVD or CD, message box is Metro.  The desktop is on the level of Solitaire and Cut the Rope.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #515: March 25, 2012, 10:58:36 PM »
You have fun with that.  I'll be sticking with 7 unless a true desktop mode is returned to the final shipping product.

Offline PC

« Reply #516: March 25, 2012, 11:00:19 PM »
You have fun with that.  I'll be sticking with 7 unless a true desktop mode is returned to the final shipping product.

Honestly, I don't get the complaints (you're not alone) and I don't think I ever will.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #517: March 25, 2012, 11:02:41 PM »
Honestly, I don't get the complaints (you're not alone) and I don't think I ever will.

Serious question - do you ever have to deal with users? 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #518: March 25, 2012, 11:04:05 PM »

Metro is fine, even great as a tablet interface.  My desktop is not a tablet.  Plenty of concise, lucid explanations are out there for the most common complaints, so there's really no point in my rehashing them here.    Frankly I don't see what the big deal is with leaving in an option to disable Metro in much the same way that one "uninstalls" IE or WMC.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #519: March 25, 2012, 11:05:54 PM »
But the desktop isn't the OS anymore.  The desktop is, functionally, an app.  Just an app that your run other apps on top of.

If you the desktop, the start screen runs all through it.  The "charms" bar on the right.  The task switcher on the left.  When you put in a DVD or CD, message box is Metro.  The desktop is on the level of Solitaire and Cut the Rope.

:shrug: I just don't like it.  The icons are all too big and it's ugly as hell.  I hate the tabletification that's going on in both Windows and OS X.  I mean I guess I could learn to do without the start menu honestly, I've loved using OS X and it has no start menu.  A few commonly used apps pinned to the dock and then everything else is launched through spotlight.

Is there an easy key combo for Windows search?  Does it go for apps first?  On my Mac, if I want to launch say Disk Utility, it's command+space, type "dis" and Disk Utility is the first result highlighted, hit enter to launch.  Or command+space, toa, enter if I want to launch Toast, etc.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #520: March 25, 2012, 11:27:24 PM »
:shrug: I just don't like it.  The icons are all too big and it's ugly as hell.  I hate the tabletification that's going on in both Windows and OS X.  I mean I guess I could learn to do without the start menu honestly, I've loved using OS X and it has no start menu.  A few commonly used apps pinned to the dock and then everything else is launched through spotlight.

Is there an easy key combo for Windows search?  Does it go for apps first?  On my Mac, if I want to launch say Disk Utility, it's command+space, type "dis" and Disk Utility is the first result highlighted, hit enter to launch.  Or command+space, toa, enter if I want to launch Toast, etc.

Spotlight and the start menu are functionally equivalent for me.  I do pin a few less commonly used apps to the start menu, but overall my primary use of the start menu is for search and library shortcuts.

Key combo for Windows search couldn't be easier, just hit the windows key (or command key, if you're on a Mac), then start typing.  You can customize what things it'll index but by default search covers just about everything and breaks it down by category.

Personally I launch most things via run box (windows+R), but that's because I'm a nerd and have memorized lots and lots of Windows commands :lol:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #521: March 25, 2012, 11:30:43 PM »
Does it auto-highlight the app?  Just wondering, I haven't been on my PC in a while.  In the older versions of OS X, like Tiger, you'd still have to hit the down arrow to select the first result, then hit enter.  INCONVENIENT!

Offline PC

« Reply #522: March 25, 2012, 11:31:42 PM »
Windows Key shortcuts still work.  Search is Windows Key +F

Offline The Chief

« Reply #523: March 25, 2012, 11:31:53 PM »
Does it auto-highlight the app?  Just wondering, I haven't been on my PC in a while.  In the older versions of OS X, like Tiger, you'd still have to hit the down arrow to select the first result, then hit enter.  INCONVENIENT!

Yes if it's an app or control panel applet, no if your search drills down to just files.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #524: March 25, 2012, 11:32:38 PM »
Windows Key shortcuts still work.  Search is Windows Key +F

Win+F brings up an explorer window.  Pretty sure I haven't used that since XP.  Searching directly from the Start Menu is much more elegant than that, and much less obnoxious/intrusive than Metro.

Personal opinion, of course.