Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Watch  (Read 186610 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: The Bryce Harper Watch
« Reply #300: May 02, 2010, 07:30:04 PM »
:clap: Gotta love Dio-era Sabbath except for the third tosser ;)

Fixdeded.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #301: May 03, 2010, 10:07:07 AM »
Fixdeded.

Sabbath begins and ends with Ozzy. All other variations have no business being called Black Sabbath.

« Reply #302: May 03, 2010, 01:51:24 PM »
Captain Obvious took off his mask today to reveal he is Jon Heyman:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/05/03/harper.boras/index.html?eref=sihp

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #303: May 03, 2010, 11:51:47 PM »
Mike Rizzo scouts Harper and Amateur Scouting Director Kris Kline replies to criticisms of Harpers makeup:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/05/mike_rizzo_scouts_meets_bryce.html#more

Kline responded strongly in defense of Harper's makeup.

"I think he's got great makeup," Kline said. "I have absolutely no problems with the kid's makeup. He's a great kid.

"Bryce looks like a big leaguer. He carries himself like a big leaguer. Does he get upset? Of course. He does hold himself to a high standard. I don't think he feels like he should make an out. Is he going to have to make adjustments? Yes. As far as his makeup, I think he's a class act."

Kline said he had read the article questioning Harper's demeanor and pointedly called it, "absolutely the worst, most ridiculous, stupidest article I've ever read. That was horrible." He called the unnamed scout quoted "gutless" for not giving his name.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #304: May 04, 2010, 10:33:22 AM »
Kline said he had read the article questioning Harper's demeanor and pointedly called it, "absolutely the worst, most ridiculous, stupidest article I've ever read. That was horrible." He called the unnamed scout quoted "gutless" for not giving his name.

Wow looks like that settles it then...lets draft the kid.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #305: May 04, 2010, 10:37:50 AM »
In other news, the anonymous dude said "whatever Kline, my dad could whoop your dad's ass"

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #306: May 04, 2010, 06:19:16 PM »
In other news, the anonymous dude said "whatever Kline, my dad could whoop your dad's ass"

Sounds like a 12 year old over xbox live.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #307: May 04, 2010, 06:49:19 PM »
Nats close to hiring Harper's college coach Tim Chambers as a scout :clap: :clap:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/05/04/nationals.chambers/index.html

The Nationals, who have the first pick in next month's draft, are now working to hire possible No. 1 pick Bryce Harper's college coach as a scout, SI.com has learned.

The expected hiring of well-regarded College of Southern Nevada coach Tim Chambers will be viewed my many as a sign the Nats do indeed plan to select Harper, the 17-year-old slugging prodigy, with the top overall pick. And perhaps it is. But Nationals assistant GM Roy Clark said the hiring is unrelated, pointing out he previously employed Chambers for a decade when Clark was with the Braves. Clark said, "I promise you, I never heard of Harper when I hired (Chambers) 10 years ago.''

Clark said that hundreds of college coaches are employed by major-league teams as "associate scouts'' with no expectation of their players being drafted. Clark employed dozens of associate scouts while with the Braves and is working on setting up a similar program in Washington, with every expectation that Chambers will move with him.

"We're in the process of working on it,'' Clark said. "Officially, he's not under contract.''

While many will assume that Chambers' hiring is a precursor to the selection of Harper, and perhaps it is (most baseball people seem to expect the Nats to take Harper), it's also possible Chambers impressed members of the Nats organization during their frequent jaunts to Nevada to scout the heralded Harper. Under Chambers, Harper has developed superbly, hitting 21 home runs as easily the youngest player in a rare college wooden bat league.

Chambers, who has won six championships in nine years at the college and has had scores of his players drafted, said he's been "bird-dogging" for a decade for Clark, a prominent scouting executive who worked for the Braves until moving to Washington last year, and plans to move with him. Chambers said that while he'll be called an associate scout, he suggested the small role is really quite informal, as it was previously with the Braves. "I've been a bird dog for most of my career,'' Chambers said.

Nationals people aren't committing to who they will take No. 1 with a month to go -- Nats president Stan Kasten said via text message on Monday that it was "too early'' to say -- but people around baseball see Harper as the favorite. A year ago, he landed on the cover of Sports Illustrated for his extraordinary slugging exploits. He is a catcher with a strong arm and a pitcher as well, but some view him as a third baseman or right fielder as a pro.

Chambers isn't part of the Nats' decision-making process beyond offering his own opinion of Harper but when asked if he expects the team to take his player No. 1, he said, "I do." Chambers said he's been very impressed by how Harper's handled his year in the limelight. "It's pretty unbelievable that someone that young can have all that spotlight and pressure on him, and perform like he has.''

Chambers said he has known the Harper family for 15 years, and his hiring can't hurt the Nats' efforts to sign Harper if they do indeed choose him. Although, it won't necessarily help them, either. Chambers is thought to be close to both Harper brothers. Bryce's older brother Bryan is an exceptional left-handed pitcher for the College of Southern Nevada.

A Nats person said they have been considering about three different top prospects, including right-handed pitcher Jameson Taillon from the Woodlands High School outside Houston. Others under consideration could include Drew Pomeranz, a lefty pitcher from the University of Mississippi, high school pitcher A.J. Cole and Karsten Whitson, prep shortstop Manny Machado, and LSU righty Anthony Ranaudo.

The Nats also had the No. 1 pick last year, which they used to draft college pitcher Stephen Strasburg, eventually signing him to a record $15.67-million contract after choosing him last year. SI.com reported Monday that Harper is expected to seek to break that record.

Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo reportedly went to see Harper this week. Reports have suggested that Rizzo has no issue with Harper's personality, which was recently described as cocky in one article. And Chambers staunchly defended Harper, saying he is a normal 17-year-old with extraordinary talent who drives a Toyota with 100,000 miles on it to practice and goes to church with his middle class family on Sundays. He also said he recently has allowed more media members to meet and interview Harper and combat what he described as a false accusation about the kid by an anonymous adult or two.

Chambers suggested a couple early on-field incidents were overblown because of who Harper is. In one, according to Chambers, Harper was being subjected to taunting when he retaliated by pointing to his helmet after hitting two home runs against a rival team. Chambers said another incident was misconstrued. In that one, Harper was ejected for taking a bow after a particularly strong throw from right field to nearly gun out a baserunner who had singled, and that Harper only kiddingly took a half-bow in response to oohs and ahhs from his own dugout.

"I can't imagine how much heat is on him,'' Chambers said.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/05/04/nationals.chambers/index.html#ixzz0n0IZGOBA

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #308: May 04, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »
so is he leaving his post @ CSN?

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #309: May 04, 2010, 08:57:30 PM »
Steps to sign Bryce Harper

1) Hire the coach his parents trust
2) Draft his older brother(Bryan Harper, they play on the same team)
3) Bring Bryce to D.C. for Strasburgs dayview

hmmmmm smells like a recipe for success!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #310: May 05, 2010, 12:19:20 AM »
That article makes it sound like Bryce Harper isn't officially our pick.

Is their any truth whatsoever to that idea?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #311: May 05, 2010, 06:03:44 AM »
Nats close to hiring Harper's college coach Tim Chambers as a scout :clap: :clap:

Why are you stoked about this?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #312: May 05, 2010, 09:12:16 AM »
That article makes it sound like Bryce Harper isn't officially our pick.

Is their any truth whatsoever to that idea?

Of course.  Until the draft, nobody can be any team's official pick.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #313: May 05, 2010, 09:57:18 AM »
Why are you stoked about this?

Sign-a-bility. Three syllables, means Harper plays in DC.

(Yes, Tom, I'm positive it has more than 3 syllables.)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #314: May 05, 2010, 10:30:50 AM »
Gotcha. I was wondering if he liked the coach himself for some reason or if he just thought this makes Bryce easier to sign.

I don't foresee any problems signing him. I don't think he has much leverage, considering he dropped out of high school so that he could get drafted this year. Employing his coach could be an early step to make DC feel like home, though. The more DC feels like home the more he forgets about playing in pinstripes. ;)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #315: May 05, 2010, 10:31:52 AM »
I don't care if he plays for the Yankees or not... all I'm concerned about is the Nats squeezing as much blood from the stone as possible before his FA years start.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #316: May 05, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »
I don't care if he plays for the Yankees or not... all I'm concerned about is the Nats squeezing as much blood from the stone as possible before his FA years start.
Yep.  6 good years.  Make him catch 140+ games a year. Don't leave a cartiledge intact.  Then let him soak the Yanks for 8 years, $200M and burn out by the 3d year. 

Online blue911

« Reply #317: May 05, 2010, 11:00:30 AM »
Yep.  6 good years.  Make him catch 140+ games a year. Don't leave a cartiledge intact.  Then let him soak the Yanks for 8 years, $200M and burn out by the 3d year. 

:idea: You mean like the Indians did with Victor Martinez?  :stir:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #318: May 05, 2010, 11:02:52 AM »
VMart is in a slump right now. I'm confident he'll come out of it!

One of my favorite Indians. Still miss the guy.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #319: May 05, 2010, 11:04:43 AM »
:idea: You mean like the Indians did with Victor Martinez?  :stir:
Exactly!  But he'll still be a Type A, we'll offer arb, and get two draft picks!

Meanwhile, we will rebuild Minnesota by trading for Wilson Ramos, or else play the Cuban kid.

Offline Sniper 1

« Reply #320: May 05, 2010, 03:23:55 PM »
http://www.stationcaster.com/player.php?s=65&c=428&f=48679

Here is a twelve minute interview conducted today on ESPN980 with Mike Rizzo. The Bryce Harper discussion begins at the 5:30 mark. Rizzo has no problems with Harper's makeup, and essentially says the Baseball Prospectus report was garbage.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #321: May 06, 2010, 10:33:32 AM »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/05/04/nationals.chambers/index.html

Byron Kerr and Bill Ladson both reporting that this rumor is in fact false.

Quote from: Ladson Tweet
Rizzo denies #Nats interested in Chambers;

College of Southern Nevada baseball coach Tim Chambers told me that he has "absolutely not" been offered a job with the Nats.
Tim said he called the Nats Assistant General Manager Roy Clark last night and they joked about how the media frenzy with him and the interest in his player, Bryce Harper, most likely fueled this type of speculation.

"I don't have the time to be a scout. I am a college coach. I have a family and can't be traveling around all the time scouting."
http://masnsports.com/byron_kerr/2010/05/chambers-dispels-nats-job-rumor.html

« Reply #322: May 06, 2010, 11:10:11 AM »
Byron Kerr and Bill Ladson both reporting that this rumor is in fact false.
http://masnsports.com/byron_kerr/2010/05/chambers-dispels-nats-job-rumor.html

So Jon Heyman earns the Journalistic Fail.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #323: May 06, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »
So Jon Heyman earns the Journalistic Fail.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #324: May 07, 2010, 02:27:18 PM »
Where do you all think Harper is going to play?