Author Topic: Ballpark bus to Nationals Park  (Read 22869 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Ballpark bus to Nationals Park
« Reply #75: February 13, 2012, 08:35:44 AM »
I think that the fun factor is the bigger selling point over convenience. 

I agree. But the novelty might wear off unless they do something entertaining on the bus like giveaways, encourage group interaction, etc.

Other than, it will be back to convenience and cost.

Walking to a stop would be ideal, but I suspect they will depend on people driving to the bus station and taking the bus from there.

I like the whole concept because it might encourage some people who don't want to drive OR take Metro to the park. We talk a fair amount on this board about the importance of local groups attending games, well, this is sort of like a group.

Offline BallparkBus

« Reply #76: February 13, 2012, 12:05:23 PM »
Hello everyone! We were very happy to see Ballpark Bus being discussed on WNFF and thought we'd drop by and give you the lowdown.

For anyone interested, here's a summary of the Ballpark Bus service:

Our website, www.BallparkBus.com, will be launching within the next few weeks. In the meantime, our URL is redirecting to our Facebook page. You certainly don't need to be a member of Facebook to use our service -- we simply thought Facebook was a good way to help get the word out prior to our website launch.

Once our website launches, you will be able to connect with other Nats fans in your area and enjoy a fun, fast and easy ride to and from Nationals Park from one of our Ballpark Bus Stations. We have already announced The Greene Turtle at Dulles Town Center, The Greene Turtle in Ballston, and Velocity Five in Centreville as our first three stations, and will be announcing several more stations prior to Opening Day. We'll continue to add even more throughout the season in both Virginia and Maryland.

We are partnering with several of the area's premier Charter Bus companies, so you can expect a very high level of service on your way to and from the game. All buses will have comfortable seating, air conditioning, and a bathroom on board.

We will begin taking reservations for each series three weeks in advance. Once reservations open, simply select your game and bus station. We haven't announced pricing yet, but it will be very competitive with other forms of transportation. And the earlier you book your ride, the more you save.

Reservations save money and are absolutely risk-free. Because each bus trip requires a minimum number of riders, we will NOT process your payment until we've received enough reservations to confirm your bus. Once your station receives enough reservations, we'll e-mail your bus ticket, process your payment, and continue to sell all remaining seats up until game day.

On game day, simply arrive at your bus station and enjoy your ride to and from the game. Our bus stations will offer special discounts exclusively to Ballpark Bus customers, such as 20% off food purchases when you show your bus ticket. We'll also occasionally hold onboard contests on the way to the game, with winners receiving gift cards, tickets to upcoming games, or Nats merchandise. So if, say, Strasburg is pitching, we'll ask everyone to guess how many strikeouts he'll have (along with a tiebreaker question or two). After the game, we'll award a cool prize to whoever nailed it. We've already announced that one lucky rider will win a Ryan Zimmerman autographed baseball on the way to the Nats home opener on April 12.

Let us know if you have any other questions. We're still working out plenty of details, so I may not be able to answer everything, but will be happy to try :)

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #77: February 13, 2012, 12:16:01 PM »
I'm so excited and they don't even have a station in my direction yet haha.

I just thought of a few questions. I'm assuming that there is service to every home game throughout the season? Regardless of the time and day?
What is the policy for rained out games, postponed games? I'm assuming that's just a "at your own risk" situation.

Offline mach1ne

« Reply #78: February 13, 2012, 01:12:58 PM »
It's nice to have a representative from Ballpark bus on the forum.  I live close by the Arlington stop and would be interested in taking the bus.  However, I assume that there will be only one time that the bus leaves?  Do you know how early before games you anticipate to arrive at the ballpark especially if there is a promotional giveway that game?  Additionally, will single way fares be available?  I for one would be interested in taking the bus to DC but if it's a weekend game would be wanting to stay downtown after the game.

Offline BallparkBus

« Reply #79: February 13, 2012, 01:24:17 PM »
Glad to hear it! If you don't mind me asking, what area would you like a Ballpark Bus Station to be?

We will ultimately be providing service to every home game (and maybe even up to Baltimore and Philly depending on how things are rolling when those series come up).

Initially, though, we anticipate a "soft opening" where we focus on weekend games and maybe 1 or 2 weekday games. We fully understand that in order for this to work, the word about Ballpark Bus needs to spread, and that's just going to take some time. Each bus will require a minimum number of riders in order to run, and the higher-attended games obviously give us a better chance at meeting this minimum number. But believe me, we are chomping at the bit to service each and every game. So as demand continues to rise, you can bet that we'll continue to offer service to more and more games.

As for rainouts/, postponements, etc., there will have to be some element of "at your own risk" as you mentioned. Rule of thumb is if a bus runs, it will need to be paid for, even if the game is called in the first inning. We'll also have to set some sort of time limit when folks will need to return to their bus and head back home, though we are aware of the average MLB game time (a shade under 3 hours) and will provide a very comfortable buffer beyond that so fans will almost always get to take in the full game. Plenty of details like these that will continue to be ironed out as we move forward.

Thanks for your question, and we hope to have a Ballpark Bus Station set up near you soon!

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #80: February 13, 2012, 01:32:51 PM »
I've said it many places before on the internet, but i'm coming from Richmond. Anything at or further south than Woodbridge would be the most ideal for me.

Offline NookLoganMafia

« Reply #81: February 13, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »
Are you guys considering coming into Maryland at all?  I have to think Gaithersburg and Rockville would be ripe for stops.  Just far enough out on the Red Line that the trip to Navy Yard on Metro is unappealing.

Offline BallparkBus

« Reply #82: February 13, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »
It's nice to have a representative from Ballpark bus on the forum.  I live close by the Arlington stop and would be interested in taking the bus.  However, I assume that there will be only one time that the bus leaves?  Do you know how early before games you anticipate to arrive at the ballpark especially if there is a promotional giveway that game?  Additionally, will single way fares be available?  I for one would be interested in taking the bus to DC but if it's a weekend game would be wanting to stay downtown after the game.

From Ballston, my initial guess is that we would leave around 6:15 for a 7:05 weekday game. Would love to know your reaction to that departure time (too early, too late). That time is not set in stone, so please don't let it scare you off :)

I don't anticipate being able to sell one-way fares. We think everyone will love our pricing though (dying to announce it, but can't just yet), so you may actually find it affordable enough even if you are only riding one way.

Offline BallparkBus

« Reply #83: February 13, 2012, 01:49:13 PM »
I've said it many places before on the internet, but i'm coming from Richmond. Anything at or further south than Woodbridge would be the most ideal for me.

Sorry, new to the WNFF forum so not sure whom I may have interacted with on other websites. We will have a location at some point along 95 near Woodbridge, though I can say at this point how far north or south of Woodbridge it will be. Also looking at Fredericksburg for weekend rides.

Offline BallparkBus

« Reply #84: February 13, 2012, 01:52:20 PM »
Are you guys considering coming into Maryland at all?  I have to think Gaithersburg and Rockville would be ripe for stops.  Just far enough out on the Red Line that the trip to Navy Yard on Metro is unappealing.

We will most definitely be coming up to Maryland too, and yes, we have a huge red target on the I-270 corridor :)

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #85: February 13, 2012, 04:54:59 PM »
This is such a great idea.  Unless it turns out to be prohibitively expensive, I plan to use this bus quite regularly.

Hello everyone! We were very happy to see Ballpark Bus being discussed on WNFF and thought we'd drop by and give you the lowdown.

For anyone interested, here's a summary of the Ballpark Bus service:

Our website, www.BallparkBus.com, will be launching within the next few weeks. In the meantime, our URL is redirecting to our Facebook page. You certainly don't need to be a member of Facebook to use our service -- we simply thought Facebook was a good way to help get the word out prior to our website launch.

Once our website launches, you will be able to connect with other Nats fans in your area and enjoy a fun, fast and easy ride to and from Nationals Park from one of our Ballpark Bus Stations. We have already announced The Greene Turtle at Dulles Town Center, The Greene Turtle in Ballston, and Velocity Five in Centreville as our first three stations, and will be announcing several more stations prior to Opening Day. We'll continue to add even more throughout the season in both Virginia and Maryland.

We are partnering with several of the area's premier Charter Bus companies, so you can expect a very high level of service on your way to and from the game. All buses will have comfortable seating, air conditioning, and a bathroom on board.

We will begin taking reservations for each series three weeks in advance. Once reservations open, simply select your game and bus station. We haven't announced pricing yet, but it will be very competitive with other forms of transportation. And the earlier you book your ride, the more you save.

Reservations save money and are absolutely risk-free. Because each bus trip requires a minimum number of riders, we will NOT process your payment until we've received enough reservations to confirm your bus. Once your station receives enough reservations, we'll e-mail your bus ticket, process your payment, and continue to sell all remaining seats up until game day.

On game day, simply arrive at your bus station and enjoy your ride to and from the game. Our bus stations will offer special discounts exclusively to Ballpark Bus customers, such as 20% off food purchases when you show your bus ticket. We'll also occasionally hold onboard contests on the way to the game, with winners receiving gift cards, tickets to upcoming games, or Nats merchandise. So if, say, Strasburg is pitching, we'll ask everyone to guess how many strikeouts he'll have (along with a tiebreaker question or two). After the game, we'll award a cool prize to whoever nailed it. We've already announced that one lucky rider will win a Ryan Zimmerman autographed baseball on the way to the Nats home opener on April 12.

Let us know if you have any other questions. We're still working out plenty of details, so I may not be able to answer everything, but will be happy to try :)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #86: February 13, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »
We will most definitely be coming up to Maryland too, and yes, we have a huge red target on the I-270 corridor :)

:clap: I'd much rather just drive from my home to Rockville or Gaithersburg than trying to find my way around DC.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #87: February 13, 2012, 05:15:39 PM »
Sorry, new to the WNFF forum so not sure whom I may have interacted with on other websites. We will have a location at some point along 95 near Woodbridge, though I can say at this point how far north or south of Woodbridge it will be. Also looking at Fredericksburg for weekend rides.
Fredericksburg would be even closer than Woodbridge :D. I don't know how many people come to games on a fairly regular basis from F'Burg or further south. I go to roughly 3 games a year. I wish I lived closer sometimes.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #88: February 13, 2012, 08:32:14 PM »
Woot.

Gaithersburg or Germantown would be fantastic.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #89: February 13, 2012, 08:39:38 PM »
If you haven't seen it, the Montgomery Village Park and Ride would be flippin' awesome.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #90: February 13, 2012, 08:58:32 PM »
Woot.

Gaithersburg or Germantown would be fantastic.

If you haven't seen it, the Montgomery Village Park and Ride would be flippin' awesome.

How far off of 270 is that?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #91: February 13, 2012, 08:59:45 PM »
How far off of 270 is that?

20, 30 feet or so.  Too far for you.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #92: February 13, 2012, 09:03:20 PM »
20, 30 feet or so.  Too far for you.

:razz: FU tom.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #93: February 13, 2012, 09:06:40 PM »
:razz: FU tom.

C'mon, there's an exit ramp and parking spaces and other extreme obstacles.  Have I mentioned speed cameras yet?

:poke:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #94: February 13, 2012, 09:10:37 PM »
C'mon, there's an exit ramp and parking spaces and other extreme obstacles.  Have I mentioned speed cameras yet?

:poke:

I looked it up on google maps.  It does look pretty complicated.  Looks like I have to go straight across the road after the exit.  Then find a place to park.  Then to leave, I have to freaking go right on that same road to get to the ramp for 270 NB, what the hell kind of design is that!?

Offline BallparkBus

« Reply #95: February 13, 2012, 09:12:46 PM »
:clap: I'd much rather just drive from my home to Rockville or Gaithersburg than trying to find my way around DC.

Do you think folks in Gaithersburg would be willing to drive north to Germantown in order to take a bus south to Nationals Park?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #96: February 13, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »
Do you think folks in Gaithersburg would be willing to drive north to Germantown in order to take a bus south to Nationals Park?

No idea, but Germantown is even closer than Gaithersburg for me, so I'm all for it :lol:

Offline BallparkBus

« Reply #97: February 13, 2012, 09:15:57 PM »

We'll check it out, but our business model is to make sure that our bus stations are at great sports bars. The Venn Diagram of people who like going to Nats games and people who like great sports bars nearly eclipses itself :)

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #98: February 13, 2012, 09:17:50 PM »
i've never eaten at greene turtle or velocity five. greene turtle does look good on tv, i can just never find one.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #99: February 13, 2012, 09:18:34 PM »
I looked it up on google maps.  It does look pretty complicated.  Looks like I have to go straight across the road after the exit.  Then find a place to park.  Then to leave, I have to freaking go right on that same road to get to the ramp for 270 NB, what the hell kind of design is that!?

:shrug:

It's a bit of a filter I guess, keeps the manassasites and thurmontonians from overunning the place.  People in these here parts drive around with bumper stickers that say "Don't Colorfest Montgomery".