Author Topic: Ballpark bus to Nationals Park  (Read 22865 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Ballpark bus to Nationals Park
« Reply #100: February 13, 2012, 09:20:01 PM »
:shrug:

It's a bit of a filter I guess, keeps the manassasites and thurmontonians from overunning the place.  People in these here parts drive around with bumper stickers that say "Don't Colorfest Montgomery".

:crackup:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #101: February 13, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »
Exit. Stop at the light at the bottom of the ramp. Drive straight across into the parking lot. It's there to make commuting easy. It literally could not be easier.

Problem with Sports Bars in MoCo is the the only one I can think of is the Green Turtle in Germantown, and that parking lot is a flippin' mess.
How far off of 270 is that?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #102: February 13, 2012, 09:32:50 PM »

Problem with Sports Bars in MoCo is the the only one I can think of is the Green Turtle in Germantown, and that parking lot is a flippin' mess.

Baileys.

Offline NATS1137

• Playoffs!
« Reply #103: February 14, 2012, 01:04:28 AM »
 For people in the Gainsville /Manassas area a great stop would be the WING IT off route 28.   It would be great for me because I live only five miles from there  :)

Offline NookLoganMafia

« Reply #104: February 14, 2012, 10:02:22 AM »
Hard Times Cafe on Nelson Street in Rockville.  About 1/4 mile from Exit 6 off I-270. 

Rockville Town Center isn't close to 270 so it wouldn't make sense from your perspective.  Would add too much time to get off 270 and back on after the stop.

If you're thinking Gemantown, Greene Turtle is probably the best bet.  Close to the Route 118 exit off 270.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #105: February 14, 2012, 11:23:21 AM »
The Hard Times lot in Rockville is pretty small, no? I haven't been there in 20 years, but I doubt they made it any bigger.. I'm trying to think of an easy-on/easy-off spot with lots of parking - Green Turtle in Germantown, man, that lot sucks.

TT mentioned Baileys. I don't even know where that is, but he has much, much more experience with bars than I do. Much more.

Much more.

Hard Times Cafe on Nelson Street in Rockville.  About 1/4 mile from Exit 6 off I-270. 

Rockville Town Center isn't close to 270 so it wouldn't make sense from your perspective.  Would add too much time to get off 270 and back on after the stop.

If you're thinking Gemantown, Greene Turtle is probably the best bet.  Close to the Route 118 exit off 270.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #106: February 14, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »
What are you, kidding ???  Bailey's in Arlington got a smoking license and all their customers now are heavy smokers.  Imagine their breath on the bus.

I'd never take it ...

Baileys.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #107: February 14, 2012, 11:52:31 AM »
The Hard Times lot in Rockville is pretty small, no? I haven't been there in 20 years, but I doubt they made it any bigger.. I'm trying to think of an easy-on/easy-off spot with lots of parking - Green Turtle in Germantown, man, that lot sucks.

TT mentioned Baileys. I don't even know where that is, but he has much, much more experience with bars than I do. Much more.

Much more.

It's across the street from Greene Turtle, but has better parking.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #108: February 14, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »
What are you, kidding ???  Bailey's in Arlington got a smoking license and all their customers now are heavy smokers.  Imagine their breath on the bus.

I'd never take it ...

Germantown Baileys.    :roll:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #109: February 14, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »
Ballpark Bus - FWIW, Crystal City Sports Pub occasionally runs buses on Sundays coupled with their brunch.  you might want to give call there and see if there is a deal that works for both of you.  I can give you a name if you PM me.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #110: February 14, 2012, 12:24:55 PM »
That would be perfect for me. Like 10 minutes from the house, tops. The wife and I could pre-game there...

It's across the street from Greene Turtle, but has better parking.

Offline BallparkBus

« Reply #111: February 14, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input! We really are paying close attention… please keep it coming!  :mg:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #112: February 14, 2012, 12:45:23 PM »
The only thing I worry about on the 270 corridor is that there just isn't a clean way for a bus to get to Nationals Park. We always take the GW Parkway. Otherwise, you have quite a bit further to go...

Nationals Park is really not convenient from the MoCo area. Traffic would be such a major factor for a bus. Still, I'd love to do it.

Thanks everyone for your input! We really are paying close attention… please keep it coming!  :mg:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #113: February 14, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »

I'd never take it ...

Bailey's is nasty. I won't even use the entrance at that end of the Ballston Mall. Gack!

Offline BallparkBus

« Reply #114: February 14, 2012, 12:51:55 PM »
Bypassing the GW Pkwy exit and then taking the 267 exit towards I-66 adds 3 miles to the trip. Granted, you are getting near Tysons at that point which presents some traffic issues, but we hope it's still viable.

Curious, what time would you leave for a 7:05 start from Germantown, Gaithersburg, and Rockville?

Offline BallparkBus

« Reply #115: February 14, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »

I'd never take it ...

We have officially announced The Greene Turtle Ballston as an Official Ballpark Bus Station. It's just a couple blocks from the Ballston Mall (and Bailey's).

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #116: February 14, 2012, 01:00:08 PM »
My point was if the Ballston Baliey's has a smoking license, does the Germantown Bailey's have one too ?  If so, then better not plan a bus trip from there.

Germantown Baileys.    :roll:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #117: February 14, 2012, 01:50:25 PM »
Bars in VA still allow smoking???  How quaint.

Bailey's is nasty. I won't even use the entrance at that end of the Ballston Mall. Gack!

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #118: February 14, 2012, 02:04:52 PM »
I don't know how this Bailey's got around it - maybe by installing some sort of legally accepted ventilation system.  But if there is one, it doesn't work well.  I'm surprised some of the other businesses don't complain.

Bars in VA still allow smoking???  How quaint.

Offline NookLoganMafia

« Reply #119: February 14, 2012, 02:07:41 PM »
My point was if the Ballston Baliey's has a smoking license, does the Germantown Bailey's have one too ?  If so, then better not plan a bus trip from there.

Maryland is clean indoor air statewide.  Which means that the only commercial establishments you can smoke inside are cigar shops.  Bars and restaurants are all smoke free.

As for the route to Nats Park, on weeknights, 270 South to the GW Parkway generally did move up until recently when VDOT did that retarded change to the Outerloop/I-66 interchange. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #120: February 14, 2012, 02:09:13 PM »
I don't think buses can take the GW Parkway.
Maryland is clean indoor air statewide.  Which means that the only commercial establishments you can smoke inside are cigar shops.  Bars and restaurants are all smoke free.

As for the route to Nats Park, on weeknights, 270 South to the GW Parkway generally did move up until recently when VDOT did that retarded change to the Outerloop/I-66 interchange. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #121: February 14, 2012, 02:13:20 PM »
I don't think buses can take the GW Parkway.

Correct.  You'd be sitting on 495 wishing for either death or a strong drink.

Offline Zim4Life

« Reply #122: February 14, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »
I don't know how this Bailey's got around it - maybe by installing some sort of legally accepted ventilation system.  But if there is one, it doesn't work well.  I'm surprised some of the other businesses don't complain.

One half (the big room on the Wilson Blvd. side with the huge bar) is smoking, the other is non-smoking.  There are separate ventilation systems.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #123: February 14, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »
Which sucks. And Metro sucks from Shady Grove.
Correct.  You'd be sitting on 495 wishing for either death or a strong drink.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #124: February 14, 2012, 07:00:52 PM »
Can they just pick us up at our homes? That would be perfect.