Author Topic: Beast Mode ACTIVATED!  (Read 19785 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Beast Mode Activated - Not so much
« Reply #125: April 11, 2012, 08:06:10 AM »
No reason? How long have you been following this team- optimistic reports followed be a 'snag' have been hallmarks since Patterson and Hill

ARE YOU NOT HAVING ENOUGH UNICORNS AND SUNSHINE BLOWN UP YOUR ASSPIPE?

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #126: April 11, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
No reason? How long have you been following this team- optimistic reports followed be a 'snag' have been hallmarks since Patterson and Hill
Have you ever followed any other team? This kind of stuff happens to all of them. Also, I'd bet you'd be surprised how often the optimistic reports turn out to be correct.

But let me make sure we're clear. You're claiming the argument of "we've been unlucky before so we WILL be unlucky again" is sound and reasonable?

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #127: April 11, 2012, 08:48:52 AM »

:funny:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #128: April 11, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »
But let me make sure we're clear. You're claiming the argument of "we've been unlucky before so we WILL be unlucky again" is sound and reasonable?

how about the "the team has a history of not being honest/competent (depending on viewpoint) in the past, but this time is somehow different" because that's what you're spouting

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #129: April 11, 2012, 09:07:12 AM »
Phillies are missing Utley and Howard, Braves are missing Hudson and Chipper, Mets are missing David Wright, Marlins are too combustible to rely on. I'm not ready to throw the towel in because Morse and Storen are out. 

Sanity!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #130: April 11, 2012, 09:09:36 AM »
Sanity!

because we were too cheap to add another bat this offseason?
Seriously, we should be fine, and I actually like our chances to win the division outright

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #131: April 11, 2012, 09:16:21 AM »

But I have had enough of the freak out show that happens with every hangnail. Yes, yes, the Morse injury could turn out to be serious. Or not. Who knows. Let's wait and see. Medicine ain't easy sh*t, dude.

What happened in the past is irrelevant. It's all about his particular injury and recovery. And those that suggest it's incompetence by the medical staff are just paranoid or just...well, whatever the opposite of believing in unicorns and rainbows is.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #132: April 11, 2012, 09:20:02 AM »
Seriously, we should be fine, and I actually like our chances to win the division outright

I don't think it's the end of the Nats chances this season, but I would feel a lot better had they actually added that other bat. 

And I don't think it's over-the-top pessimism to fear that injuries will be worse than they are initially announced to be.  That happens all the time.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #133: April 11, 2012, 09:23:11 AM »
What happened in the past is irrelevant. It's all about his particular injury and recovery.

Precisely.  Just like it was for Hill, and Patterson, and Flores, and Zimm, and LaRoche, and Solis.  All individual cases with no basis on which to suggest that there's any question about the overall strategy of handling the injury or even diagnosing it in the first place.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #134: April 11, 2012, 09:25:57 AM »
Do SABR fans just despise empirical evidence?

Precisely.  Just like it was for Hill, and Patterson, and Flores, and Zimm, and LaRoche, and Solis.  All individual cases with no basis on which to suggest that there's any question about the overall strategy of handling the injury or even diagnosing it in the first place.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #135: April 11, 2012, 09:29:33 AM »

Paging, Dr. LostYudite. Paging, Dr. LostYudite.

Seriously, you can second-guess all you want if that's fun for you. But if this stuff was easy, you and I would be doing it.

Since I'm no expert in this area, I think it would be valid to compare the Nats "misdiagnosing" of injuries with other teams. I suspect the Nats are no different.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #136: April 11, 2012, 09:39:31 AM »
Rendon and Purke will be good points of comparison precisely because other teams passed for health reasons

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #137: April 11, 2012, 09:51:49 AM »
Paging, Dr. LostYudite. Paging, Dr. LostYudite.

Logical fallacy: Appeal to authority.

Are you always this obtuse?  I'm not saying I know better - I'm saying that those who blindly believe the team doctors when they say "no big deal, he'll be back in two weeks," are ignoring the long track record of that turning out to be wrong.  Of course, you go ahead and ignore that if it makes you happy, cos you know, it might undermine the existence of unicorns.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #138: April 11, 2012, 09:58:30 AM »
Pre-game entertainment :popcorn:

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #139: April 11, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »
Logical fallacy: Appeal to authority.

Are you always this obtuse?  I'm not saying I know better - I'm saying that those who blindly believe the team doctors when they say "no big deal, he'll be back in two weeks," are ignoring the long track record of that turning out to be wrong.  Of course, you go ahead and ignore that if it makes you happy, cos you know, it might undermine the existence of unicorns.

I always appeal to authority because I'm smart enough to know I'm not smart enough.

I'm also smart enough to not blindly believe anything.

I'm also smart enough not to look for a bogeyman and dark clouds behind every corner. Hey, I think I just stumbled on the opposite of unicorns and rainbows!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #140: April 11, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »
spin mode, activate!

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #141: April 11, 2012, 10:52:11 AM »
I'm also smart enough to not blindly believe anything.

I see you're also smart enough not to address the substantive point.

But I'm with you, I don't blindly believe anything - especially "theories" backed by empirical evidence - I know my gran'dad warn't no monkey!

Much easier to keep right on believing in stuff like bogeymen and unicorns than consider the possibility that the team doctors might be guys who passed through med school with a C- average.   :roll:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #142: April 11, 2012, 10:53:32 AM »
OMG

Does every thread have to devolve into this crud?

It's so damn boring

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #143: April 11, 2012, 11:06:49 AM »
Much easier to keep right on believing in stuff like bogeymen and unicorns than consider the possibility that the team doctors might be guys who passed through med school with a C- average.   :roll:

Or friends of the ownership.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #144: April 11, 2012, 11:16:56 AM »
Paging Dr. Octagon.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #145: April 11, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »
Or friends of the ownership.

Just go ahead and let the paranoia completely engulf you. Don't even try to resist. It's really futile for you anyway.

You continue to be the poster who makes me chuckle the most. That's why I will never block you again. I love me some MDS.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #146: April 11, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »
Dan Kolko ‏ @DanKolko
Davey said #Nats are sending Michael Morse's test results to Dr. Andrews for evaluation. Morse has been shut down with strained lat.

:?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #147: April 11, 2012, 11:26:54 AM »
Inverted Samurai Cobra Snake strikes again.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #148: April 11, 2012, 11:26:55 AM »
Maybe this time they mean Dr. Erin Andrews.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #149: April 11, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »
:?

Is Andrews represented by Scott Boras?