Author Topic: Let's all defend Mike Rizzo against doofus Mike Sweeney  (Read 1374 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Probably from before the season.

NO! It was right before the deadline. He has oatmeal for brains.

Offline PANatsFan

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Five time all-star with the Royals. Retired in 2010.

Every team gets an "All Star".

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Sweeney was good enough that five all-star appearances likely included a few snubs as well.

Great hitter.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I guess what I'm sayin' is Dock Ellis was a freakin' All Star and he pitched on LSD.    "All Star" doesn't connote you know crap.

Offline Obed_Marsh

I refuse to take advice on winning from anyone who choose to spend his career in Kansas City.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
I refuse to take advice on winning from anyone who choose to spend his career in Kansas City.

What about George Brett?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
@Kevin_Goldstein
Not sure who this guy on MLB Network is, but he just said, Mike Rizzo, who never played the game, can’t be running the team. #WTF
Ah, it’s Mike Sweeney who thinks Rizzo is in no position to make decisions for the team he currently runs that is in first place.

We probably have some posters/trolls on here who would agree with this statement.

Offline Obed_Marsh

What about George Brett?

Pine tar's 1980 must have been a sight to behold but I was not old enough to remember it. Regdrless the only the only thing I associate with winning and Kansas City is some of the BBQ sauces and in general they don't hold up to the competition with rare exceptions.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
George played in the WS.  A HOFer too!

I think some former Negro Leaguers who played for the Monarchs may beg to differ too!  ;)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Sweeney missed that boat. Sorry Dorthy but toto headed off somewhere over the rainbow.

The apocalypse is nigh, I've sided with the beefcake bandit.

Offline DPMOmaha

Sweeney was a heck of a player and one of the nicest players I ever met while working at the stadium in Omaha.  He's wrong here though. 

Offline PANatsFan

We probably have some posters/trolls on here who would agree with this statement.

Pissburg, please pick up the white courtesy phone

Online HalfSmokes

this is why I chuckle when anyone defends an opinion based on knowledge gained from playing the game

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Pissburg, please pick up the white courtesy phone
:lmao:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
great reads, Blue.

I did a lot of posting about slotting in a 6th starter every time the rotation goes through 3 turns or so without an off day.  Something like that was mentioned in the Stark piece.    Also the Sale plan looks interesting, and Don Cooper has a great record for rotation arms.   

I once had a talk with an expert on large industrial accidents who used to joke about his job being to try to fit curves estimating the frequency of huge chemical spills based on one or fewer data points (i.e, Bhopal).  The answer in that case was to look at lesser events and the things that prevented them from being major.  With baseball pitchers, it may be the case that there are indicators of stress on arms or ultimately surgery from more pitchers than just Josh Johnson and Kerry Wood. Toss in the solid data from younger arms and there arm probably ways to infer how that data relates to slightly older but not fully mature arms of 23 year olds. 

I think Stark probably understates the data Rizzo is drawing on.  That is one factor.  Also, Rizzo's goal as a development guy is to optimize his talent, and I think that makes it easier for him to go with the recommendations from the sports med guys.