Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 168313 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #1175: May 12, 2013, 08:17:44 PM »
Well, that certainly all makes sense... but somehow I never picked up on it the first time. Hell, I'm still confused as to why the original engineer in the first shot of the movie just withers up and dies.

Well, Coladar's spoiler is more theory then fact. I thought the same thing and enjoy the idea behind it. There are only hints in the movie that relate to that plot point. The flashback thing they saw when they were investigating that building was dated some 2030 years prior to their current time which would've been around the time Jesus was crucified. A lot of other plot points are about faith and science. There are numerous cinematography moments that allude to this plot as well, such as the ship leaving the engineer at the beginning of the movie. The ship was seen shaped as a seed when it was leaving the clouds suggesting that they are the race that is "seeding" all of these planets and hence, creating life.

As for the beginning it is also suggested through Ridley interviews that the engineers are a type of race similar to Ancient Egyptians and other cultures. For example, those cultures sacrificed humans for Gods. Instead of selecting someone, people would volunteer to be the person sacrificed. For a duration of time, whether it's a month or a year, these people would live like Kings. Then they would be sacrificed at the end of that period. So this guy at the beginning probably volunteered to "seed" the planet. The goo he drank was similar to the goo they found in capsules on the planet. It was obviously some compound mixture that would break away his cells and then combine it's components with his DNA.