Author Topic: Larrison, Leatherman, Wagner, Eldred, Spearman Signed  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1808

Washington Nationals
Signed: RHP Preston Larrison, RHP Dan Leatherman, RHP Ryan Wagner, 1B Brad Eldred, OF Jemel Spearman

The 28-year-old Larrison is the pick to click in this group. A Tigers’ second-round selection in 2001, he’s pitched in 100 Triple-A games and racked up a solid 3.49 ERA and just 84 strikeouts to go with 57 walks in 134 innings. However, he’s given up just seven home runs in that time, as he’s got one of the better—if not the best—sinkers on the market. His groundout-to-airout ratios in the past two seasons: 2.7 (Buffalo, ‘08), 3.0 (Toledo, ‘08), 3.0 (Toledo, ‘07). Yes, the double play will always be in the back of opposing managers’ minds.

Preston Larrison seems like another interesting when healthy sinkerballer.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080227&content_id=2393190&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

Offline ronnynat

Pretty cool that we got Eldred. He had 35 homers last season in the minors. Not a bad depth signing at all.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Still hanging in there with Wagner.  Nice to see Leatherman get some more time.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Pretty cool that we got Eldred. He had 35 homers last season in the minors. Not a bad depth signing at all.

And 144 strikeouts and a .244 Avg.  :?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

A Ryan Howard clone?

Offline ronnynat

True. But we got him to be an emergency call-up. If he can keep that OPS above .800 in a short stint w/ the Nats, that'd definitely be a positive.

Offline Obed_Marsh

True. But we got him to be an emergency call-up. If he can keep that OPS above .800 in a short stint w/ the Nats, that'd definitely be a positive.

Granted but the strikeouts and average are worth mentioning before the irrational exuberance begins. This team and its fans are starved for a masher.

A Ryan Howard clone?

:rofl:

Offline blue911

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Fixed

Run producer, movie producer, whatever.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Granted but the strikeouts and average are worth mentioning before the irrational exuberance begins. This team and its fans are starved for a masher.

This just reminded me of some not too intelligent people that were sitting behind me at one game. Everytime Ryan Howard would come up they would act all giddy and talk about him being a strikeout machine. So the first time he comes up he strikes out, but the second time he comes up with runners on and 2 outs and this knuckleheads behind me decide to tempt fate. They sit there laughing like school girls and saying how we will be out of the inning in a hurry due to Ryan Howard striking out. Howard then procedes to be Ryan Howard and hits a bases clearing double that missed being a homer by less than a foot.

MrMadison

how many walks?  the walks are all that matter.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline sportsfan882

Glad to see they kept Leatherman. I liked what I saw from him in the Carolina League playoffs last season.

Offline blue911

Still hanging in there with Wagner.  Nice to see Leatherman get some more time.

Wagner left as a major league free agent and came back with a minor league contract. It sounds like Wagner likes his chances better here than with a new organization.

Offline natsdad

Both Pirate AA & AAA afiliate's fields are band boxes. Those two teams always lead their respective leagues in homers.

Offline Obed_Marsh

So the first time he comes up he strikes out, but the second time he comes up with runners on and 2 outs and this knuckleheads behind me decide to tempt fate.

It's all perspective. I wouldn't mind Brad Eldred being a Ryan Howard clone but it would take a unprecedented career year for him to make the leap. Since he's one of our guys I'll tempt fate by predicting it won't happen and hope to eat some crow next year.

Offline blue911

It's all perspective. I wouldn't mind Brad Eldred being a Ryan Howard clone but it would take a unprecedented career year for him to make the leap. Since he's one of our guys I'll tempt fate by predicting it won't happen and hope to eat some crow next year.

He had more homeruns than walks, never a good sign.

Offline PatsNats28

He had more homeruns than walks, never a good sign.

Meh, I could live with a 50 HR, 49 walk season :)