Author Topic: Arizona Fall League  (Read 21802 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Arizona Fall League
« Reply #100: October 29, 2008, 02:36:19 PM »
I think he just needs some more time to heal up.  I don't know if playing him in the AFL was the best decision with him just returning from the DL.  Hopefully he heals up and returns to form before the start of the Minor League season.

Tonight with be an interesting matchup for the Saguaros against the Mesa Surprise.  Tommy Hanson (Braves) will be pitching for Mesa and he has done amazing thus far, pitching 8.2 innings and letting up only a single hit.  He has allowed only 3 BB while striking out 14.  Some people may remember him from earlier in this season when he pitched against the Potomac Nationals as part of the Myrtle Beach Pelicans.  He pitched against the P-Nats twice in the 2008 season, before being promoted to the Mississippi Braves for the second half of the season.

Here is how Hanson fared against the P-Nats:

04/09/08 (@POT):  6.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO
05/05/08 (@MYR):  6.0 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO

-  In the first game, Marvin Lowrance had the only hit, a single to right field.  Chris Marrero struck up both of his at-bats against Hanson, but he later would homer in the 8th inning to tie up the game and steal Hanson's win (Spearman later singles in Baez to win the game in the 9th).  Consequently, Chad Cordero picked his first win with Potomac in this game.

-  In the second game, the only run off Hanson was thanks to him hitting the first Potomac batter, Michael Martinez.  Martinez later steals second and is eventually knocked in by a Chris Marrero sacrifice.  Rhinehart did not play in either games against Hanson, but Davis was in the lineup for the second match.  Davis walked in his first at-bat and then laid down a bunt single in his second.  He stole second, but was picked off trying to steal third.  In the ninth, after Hanson had left the game, Davis started the inning with a single and eventually scored the tying run that sent the game to the ninth.  Unfortunately, Adam Carr blew the game in the bottom of the 10th after he let up a home run to the second batter.

I don't know who will be playing today, but I would expect Rhinehart and Davis to both be in there.  It will be a good look at how they can handle top pitching.  It would also be worthy to note Hanson's progress, as we will probably see him regularly once he pops up in the majors (likely next season).
Gameday shows the Sags are facing Matusz today.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #101: October 29, 2008, 02:42:40 PM »
Gameday shows the Sags are facing Matusz today.

Wow, they just changed it.  About 30 minutes ago, the milb.com frontpage had a picture of Hanson and the box score for today's game.  Now it is Matusz, weird.  Maybe Hanson need another day of rest or something.

Matusz has been on fire as well.  Just 3 H in 7.0 IP, 1 ER, 2 BB, 9 SO.  He should shoot through the O's system pretty quickly.

EDIT:  I confused Mesa with the Surprise Rafters somehow.  My mistake.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #102: October 29, 2008, 05:31:12 PM »
Detwiler pitched another scoreless inning for the Sags today: 1 IP 3 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 1 K.

Much like he did all year for the P-Nats he got the first 2 outs quickly and then gave up 3 straight singles before finally recording the final out without letting in a run. He's got to find a way to buckle down with 2 outs and not turn into another Tim Redding who completely wilts after getting 2 outs. BTW, the 1 guy that Detwiler struck out today was Matt Wieters.  :D

Anyways, here are Detwiler's numbers so far in the AFL: 7 IP 7 H 0 R 0 ER 0 HR 2 BB 2 K (0.00 ERA, 1.29 WHIP).

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #103: October 30, 2008, 01:09:17 AM »
Licey loses 8-4 to the Azucareros.

Bonifacio went 1/5 with a Single.

Anderson Hernandez went 4/5 with 2 Doubles, Run, and RBI. I don't know what's up with Anderson Hernandez. He hit .200 all year for the Mets AAA team and then since being traded to the Nats he's hit like a freaking mad man.

His Numbers so far in the DWL: 24/54 (.444 BA/.464 OBP/.685 SLG), 7 Doubles, 3 Triples, 0 HRs, 10 RBIs, 2 BBs, 6 Ks, 2 SBs, 2 CS.  :shock:

BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ANDERSON HERNANDEZ! HE TURNS 26 TODAY, OCTOBER 30TH.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #104: October 30, 2008, 11:19:10 AM »
Detwiler pitched another scoreless inning for the Sags today: 1 IP 3 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 1 K.

Much like he did all year for the P-Nats he got the first 2 outs quickly and then gave up 3 straight singles before finally recording the final out without letting in a run. He's got to find a way to buckle down with 2 outs and not turn into another Tim Redding who completely wilts after getting 2 outs. BTW, the 1 guy that Detwiler struck out today was Matt Wieters.  :D

Anyways, here are Detwiler's numbers so far in the AFL: 7 IP 7 H 0 R 0 ER 0 HR 2 BB 2 K (0.00 ERA, 1.29 WHIP).

Wieters is going to be a star one day, I am almost certain.  It would be nice, though, if we had some pitchers (ala Detwiler) that could dominate when we play him one day.  I'm not going to hold my breath on it, but it would be nice.

As for Detwiler's numbers, they are very encouraging for two reasons.  The first and most obvious, that he hasn't let up a single run yet (earned or unearned).  Second, judging by all of his numbers, he has solved the most serious of his problems - staying in control of his pitches.  A knock on him during the previous minor league year was that he was putting a lot of pressure on himself and as a result he was leaning on his fastball too much just trying to blow away batters.  The problem was that players who had seen him one at-bat would come up for a second time and know exactly what was coming.  Now, he hasn't been going in games long enough to say that this problem is completely solved, but it seems as though he has turned more to his breaking ball as is evidenced by is increased ground ball ratio (1.61) in the AFL.  The 7 H + 2 BB are decent enough to lead me to believe that Detwiler could be in for a magnificent minor league season this year.

Oh, and happy birthday Anderson Hernandez.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #105: October 30, 2008, 04:48:15 PM »
Leonard Davis is sitting out again today for the 4th game in a row. He must be injured.  :(

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #106: October 30, 2008, 06:25:55 PM »
Zinicola recorded the save today for the Saguaros who topped Surprise 3-2. 1 IP 0 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 0 K (Save)

Zinicola (1.74 ERA) and Carr (1.08 ERA) have done very well for Peoria but I'm not getting my hopes up because I remember them doing the same thing last year in the Fall and then having terrible '08 seasons.  :?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #107: October 30, 2008, 07:45:14 PM »
Nationals pitching coach Randy St. Claire went to the Arizona Fall League recently to check on pitching prospects Adam Carr, Ross Detwiler, Cory Van Allen and Zechry Zinicola.

St. Claire worked with the hurlers for four days and was convinced they will be in the big leagues some day.

"They threw the ball great," St. Claire said. "I did side work with them. They did a real nice job."

With that in mind, MLB.com asked St. Claire on Wednesday night to give his take on all four pitchers.
Carr: The right-hander had a rough season for Class A Potomac and Double-A Harrisburg in 2008, but he is showing signs of improvement in the AFL, giving up one run in 8 1/3 innings for the Peoria Saguaros. It helps that Carr fixed his mechanics.

"He made a lot of progress," St. Claire said. "He has settled down and his delivery is a lot more controllable. His control is a lot better. He has made progress for a kid who hasn't pitched much."

However, St. Claire said he would like Carr to increase the velocity on his slider and have more control of the pitch.
Detwiler: The left-hander had an up-and-down season for Class A Potomac this past season, but he has yet to give up a run in seven innings for the Saguaros. According to St. Claire, Detwiler is not throwing the ball across his body as much as he did when he was drafted by the Nationals in 2007. The Nationals want him to throw the ball on a straight line.

"He has been working very hard on keeping his lines to where he can [throw the ball on] both sides of the plate," said St. Claire. "Ross commanded the ball pretty decently. It was really nice to see him make that adjustment. I know he is working hard at it. That is something it takes a little while to correct. He was a little inconsistent with the curveball. He did throw some good ones, however."

Van Allen: Of the four pitchers, Van Allen is having the roughest time in the AFL, giving up 12 earned runs in 9 2/3 innings. However, St. Claire believes Van Allen could be another John Lannan-type of pitcher who is able to locate all of his pitches. He did have some difficulty with his delivery when he was out of the stretch.

"He is pretty quick to the plate and, at times, I think he wants to be too quick. His arm drags and he elevates the ball," St Claire said about Van Allen's delivery.

Known as a fastball and changeup pitcher, Van Allen has added a slider to his repertoire. St Claire said the pitch has come a long way since Spring Training.

Zinicola:The right-hander has shown so much progress with his mechanics that St. Claire told general manager Jim Bowden that he would like to see Zinicola get an invitation to Spring Training. It helped that St. Claire saw Zinicola throw split-fingered fastballs that struck out two left-handed hitters in the AFL. Zinicola set up those hitters by using his fastball and slider to get ahead in the count.

"I saw him pitch twice and he threw [exceptionally well], especially the second time after we worked on a couple of little things," said St Claire. "I don't know if they are inviting him to Spring Training, but I told Jim I would love to see him in Spring Training. He really impressed me."

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #108: October 31, 2008, 12:40:18 AM »
randy st. claire really is one of the best in the game.  there are some on here that doubt him, but if you ask anyone that works in baseball they'll say he's easily one of the best coaches.  we're lucky to have him.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #109: October 31, 2008, 06:28:48 PM »
Great game for Desmond today. He went 3/5 with a Triple, Double, and 3 Runs. He has had a very respectable showing in the AFL offensively.

14/50 (.280 AVG/.391 OBP/.460 SLG), 2 Doubles, 2 Triples, 1 HR, 9 RBIs, 11 BBs, 13 Ks.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #110: November 01, 2008, 09:53:51 PM »
The Sags lose 8-5 to Phoenix.

Rhinehart went 0/5 with 3 Ks.

Detwiler continued his impressive AFL scoreless streak with another solid inning of work. 1 IP 1 H 0 R 0 ER 1 BB 1 K.

Carr gave up 2 hits and a run in 1 IP.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #111: November 01, 2008, 10:31:09 PM »
Leonard Davis? Injured?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #112: November 01, 2008, 10:49:47 PM »
Leonard Davis? Injured?
Apparently or he left the AFL early for whatever reason. He hasn't played in like two weeks.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #113: November 02, 2008, 04:22:56 PM »
Thanks.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #114: November 02, 2008, 06:19:02 PM »
Davis is out for family reasons and will be returning to the AFL
Cool. Source?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #115: November 02, 2008, 09:36:41 PM »
Nice. What are the games like?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #116: November 02, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »
Licey wins 7-3 today over Escogido.

EB went 2/5 with a Double and Run scored. EB has cooled a little but he's still batting .259 with a .403 OBP.

Hernandez went 2/5 with a HR and 2 Runs scored. Hernandez has just been a freaking monster (29/67, .433 BA).

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #117: November 03, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »
Cool video from MLB showcasing the Nats players in the AFL:

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200810313656743

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #118: November 03, 2008, 04:30:41 PM »
van allen had a solid start today going 3 ip, 4 h, 1 er (hr), 0 bb, 2 k.  threw 49 pitches (33 of them strikes), 3 groundouts/3 flyouts, also picked off a runner.

and ian desmond is 1-for-3 with a double. 

if we are going to get holliday, maybe we could package van allen?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #119: November 03, 2008, 04:33:10 PM »
VanAllen's value isn't too high at this point after getting injured and then struggling ever since then.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #120: November 03, 2008, 04:39:52 PM »
VanAllen's value isn't too high at this point after getting injured and then struggling ever since then.

yes, but with more starts like these and his value goes up.  opposing scouts/think tanks know how well he did this season.  if not it's good for us to see him have a start like this.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #121: November 03, 2008, 04:43:30 PM »
yes, but with more starts like these and his value goes up.  opposing scouts/think tanks know how well he did this season.  if not it's good for us to see him have a start like this.
I just don't think we could get much for him right now. I'm excited to see what he'll do next year.

Possible Starting Rotation in Harrisburg in '09:
-LHP Ross Detwiler
-LHP Cory VanAllen
-RHP Adrian Alaniz
-RHP Luis Atilano
-RHP Jordan Zimmermann/LHP Justin Jones/Minor League FA

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #122: November 03, 2008, 04:44:55 PM »
I just don't think we could get much for him right now. I'm excited to see what he'll do next year.

Possible Starting Rotation in Harrisburg in '09:
-LHP Ross Detwiler
-LHP Cory VanAllen
-RHP Adrian Alaniz
-RHP Luis Atilano
-RHP Jordan Zimmermann/LHP Justin Jones/Minor League FA

I like it, but I'm pretty sure there's a good chance JZ may start the year in AAA-Syracuse.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #123: November 03, 2008, 04:47:21 PM »
I like it, but I'm pretty sure there's a good chance JZ may start the year in AAA-Syracuse.
Probably. Justin Jones, if he's still in our system, would be a decent option.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #124: November 03, 2008, 04:55:37 PM »
Probably. Justin Jones, if he's still in our system, would be a decent option.

solid year for JJ this season.