Author Topic: Nationals Draft Pick Discussion Thread  (Read 18449 times)

MrMadison

Nationals Draft Pick Discussion Thread
« Topic Start: June 05, 2008, 02:35:28 PM »
I'm going to edit this post as our Picks come in. 

This thread is specifically for discussing OUR picks, and so that people don't have to fish through the MLB Draft threads if they just want to see our guys.

Pick #9 -Aaron Crow, RHP, Missouri
Pick #55 - Destin Hood, OF, St. Paul's Episcopal HS
Pick #87 - Daniel Espinosa, SS, Cal State Long Beach
Pick # 121 - Graham Hicks, LHP, George Jenkins HS
Pick # 151 - Adrian Nieto, C, American Heritage School
Pick # 181 - Paul Demny, RHP, Blinn College

MrMadison

Re: Nationals Draft Pick Discussion Thread
« Reply #1: June 05, 2008, 03:03:16 PM »
my question about Crow is this.

is he a Pitcher, or a Thrower who will need to learn how to be a pitcher?

MrMadison

« Reply #2: June 05, 2008, 03:05:19 PM »
a short video of Crow pitching in the Cape Cod League.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #3: June 05, 2008, 03:06:30 PM »
That 2-seamer of his is wicked! He's definitely got the strongest arm in our system now.

MrMadison

« Reply #4: June 05, 2008, 03:07:27 PM »
also, how close to Major League-ready is he in comparison to our other big prospect pitchers?

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #5: June 05, 2008, 03:08:17 PM »
Crow can pitch the only BIG convern about him is the hitch in his delivery which could cause trouble down the line. Hopefully he's like Lincecum and his body can handle the stress of his delivery.

Here's some links on him:
http://mvn.com/mlb-draft/2008/05/13/aaron-crow/

http://www.saberscouting.com/2008/03/28/aaroncrowmechanalysis/

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #6: June 05, 2008, 03:18:19 PM »
Crow can pitch the only BIG convern about him is the hitch in his delivery which could cause trouble down the line. Hopefully he's like Lincecum and his body can handle the stress of his delivery.

As long as he's consistent w/ it, I don't think it'll be a problem (just like Lincecum).

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #8: June 05, 2008, 03:49:54 PM »
also, how close to Major League-ready is he in comparison to our other big prospect pitchers?

He is already our closest to Major League (beside guys like CLippard and Balester who are in AAA, he is closer then Zimmermann, Van Allen (if he keeps dominating a case could be made), Detwiler, Alaniz etc...)

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #9: June 05, 2008, 03:54:39 PM »
He is already our closest to Major League (beside guys like CLippard and Balester who are in AAA, he is closer then Zimmermann, Van Allen (if he keeps dominating a case could be made), Detwiler, Alaniz etc...)

Why do you say that? Cause we recieved the same bit about Detwiller. I know he has the stuff but I'd wait a couple of starts before saying how soon he's going to develop.

MrMadison

« Reply #10: June 05, 2008, 03:55:14 PM »
from Baseball America's Draft Day Blog:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=302

OK, this is getting interesting. Aaron Crow goes ninth overall to the Nationals, and frankly Crow might be the best pitcher in the Nationals organization right now.

is that an insult to our organization, or huge compliment to Crow?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: June 05, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »
MLB.com scouting report:

Fastball: Crow fired his fastball up to 96 mph.

Fastball movement: He showed some life in the strike zone.

Slider: He threw a hard power slider that clocked in up to 87 mph.

Changeup: Crow showed a good feel for a changeup.

Control: He had good command and was generally around the plate. His fastball command was better as he was inconsistent in spotting his secondary pitches

Poise: Crow is very poised and agressive, going right after hitters.

Physical Description: Crow has a loose and athletic frame and fits the mold of a projectable right-hander.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: Electric stuff, flashing three plus pitches and the ability to maintain velocity deep into starts.
Weaknesses: He's got a slight flaw in his delivery, where his wrist flops or wraps in back. He usually comes out of it, but it makes it a little harder for him to pitch to the extension side.

Summary: After a strong Cape season, he was high atop Draft lists heading into the season. He's done nothing to hurt his status, showing three plus pitches to dominate hitters and establish himself as one of the top college arms, if not the top college arm, in the Draft class.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #12: June 05, 2008, 03:58:31 PM »
Why do you say that? Cause we recieved the same bit about Detwiller. I know he has the stuff but I'd wait a couple of starts before saying how soon he's going to develop.

Because I think, he is that much more mature then Detwiler already. He was great in the Cap Cod League and showed his good stuff (like his fastball alot). Im really high on him and we should be thrilled to have him, he should be up with the big club in a hurry.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #13: June 05, 2008, 03:59:29 PM »

Both. But hell, even as a nats fan, you cant take this insult badly because it's the truth.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #14: June 05, 2008, 04:03:58 PM »

A little bit of both. I take it as a positive, but they probably don't.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #15: June 05, 2008, 04:04:26 PM »
welcome to the washington nationals mr. crow!  :clap:

Offline blue911

« Reply #16: June 05, 2008, 04:14:32 PM »
Strengths: Electric stuff, flashing three plus pitches and the ability to maintain velocity deep into starts.
Weaknesses: He's got a slight flaw in his delivery, where his wrist flops or wraps in back. He usually comes out of it, but it makes it a little harder for him to pitch to the extension side.

A couple of questions. When they say he maintains velocity deep into starts does that mean he still has command also? and Is the extension side the side towards a left handed batter?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: June 05, 2008, 04:16:55 PM »
Baseball Prospectus draft roundtable discussion, excerpted to post discussion surrounding Nats' selection of Crow:

Joe Sheehan (12:03:31 PM PT): Nats take Crow at 109...Astros have to take Smoak and run, right? This is a gift?

Steven Goldman (12:04:06 PM PT): Bobby Meacham, of course, became a whipping boy for both Yankees fans and George Steinbrenner, who personally interfered with his development with a punitive two-level demotion in the spring of 1984.

Kevin Goldstein (12:05:09 PM PT): Washington takes Crow, and they'll pay the frieght, and that's a GREAT pick at 9. Not as great as whoever takes Smoak, but I GUARANTEE that the A's are holding their breath right now, hoping that Houston and Texas find a way to screw this up.

Will Carroll (12:05:44 PM PT): Nats pass on Smoak too? KG, is there any makeup issue here? Demands? Something in the scouting report or is he just Rick Porcello?

Kevin Goldstein (12:06:30 PM PT): College RHP @9: Mike Pelfrey, Kevin Appier, Mike Poehl, Ron Darling.

Steven Goldman (12:07:29 PM PT): Will, what do you see in Crow's mechanics? He does this twisty behind the back thing with his arm. It looks a little torque-y.

Bryan Smith (12:07:30 PM PT): Honestly, Crow is one of the strangest college prospects in some time. In high school, it's not totally unheard of for a guy to gain about 8-10 mph in velocity in one year. But for a 20-year-old college player to do it in one summer, like Crow did in the Cape Cod League last year, is rather unheard of. Crow has fastball velocity, fastball command and fastball movement. Hard to find a better foundation than that.

Kevin Goldstein (12:07:43 PM PT): It's a mystery Will. He doesn't want a ton of money, there are no makeup issues. He just seems to be everyone's plan B and they're getting their Plan A guys. Reds seem to be the only team that had Alonso ahead of him.

Will Carroll (12:09:09 PM PT): Re: Crow, It is a bit torquey, but he's never had arm problems. I dont think you worry so much about his mechanics now absent injuries. You focus on results until you get to someone with just crazy bad mechanics who you'll have to fix. I wouldn't draft a project this high.

Steven Goldman (12:10:06 PM PT): No Smoak to Astros. You wonder if with Berkman around, the Astros figured they didn't want to run into a similar logjam at first as we were just talking about with the Reds. Of course, the Rangers just did that vis a vis Salty.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #18: June 05, 2008, 04:24:06 PM »
Tom, do you like Carroll? I'm a huge Goldstein fan, but I've never liked Carroll much. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #19: June 05, 2008, 04:26:27 PM »
A couple of questions. When they say he maintains velocity deep into starts does that mean he still has command also? and Is the extension side the side towards a left handed batter?

Crow's outings by innings pitched this year:
5 (worst outing of the year vs. Texas but he had more than 40 scoreless coming in)
8.1 (vs. my Huskers),7(big 12 tournament)
9 (NCAA tourney, shutout)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #20: June 05, 2008, 04:35:53 PM »
Tom, do you like Carroll? I'm a huge Goldstein fan, but I've never liked Carroll much. 

Carroll's specialty is injuries, I like him quite fine for that.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: June 05, 2008, 04:38:03 PM »

Yes on the command also part, but I have no idea what the extenstion side business means.

« Reply #22: June 05, 2008, 04:38:17 PM »
Jesus, a pitcher who can go more than five or six innings? :shock: Do they really make those?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #23: June 05, 2008, 04:42:55 PM »
Jesus, a pitcher who can go more than five or six innings? :shock: Do they really make those?

Will we freak him up, stamina-wise, before he makes it to the majors is the real question. :?

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #24: June 05, 2008, 05:02:59 PM »
I have a friend who is currently a sophomore pitcher at Missouri (Kyle Gibson, he led our team to state his junior & senior year) I will have to ask him what he thinks of Crow. I would really like us to go after Gibson too next year not sure how high he is projected as of right now, but he was the best sophomore prospect after last season  and he has some pretty good stuff.

Here's an article on my friend, he was 2nd in ERA in the Cape Cod league last summer behind only Crow

http://www.collegebaseballprospects.net/2008/02/kyle-gibson.html