16 (13.4%)
One of the best in MLB
45 (37.8%)
I'm a moran and I don't like Charlie and Dave
4 (3.4%)
They're just ok
9 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler  (Read 51194 times)

Offline Sharp

Re: Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler
« Reply #125: June 25, 2011, 10:47:39 PM »
Listen, Charlie, I think you're totally awesome, but when you do an advert and say "I did it right here in the broadcast booth" I don't think you mean ordering a new car.
Same here, every time that commercial comes on I totally think they're talking about something else... I almost wonder if it was deliberate.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #126: August 20, 2011, 01:54:29 AM »
Zim's walk off salami against the Phils on 8/19 (actually 8/20 since it was after midnight)

Charlie's call

Offline saltydad

« Reply #127: August 20, 2011, 02:11:03 AM »
Zim's walk off salami against the Phils on 8/19 (actually 8/20 since it was after midnight)

Charlie's call

I so want to hear this but I still have no sound on my PC.   :evil:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #128: August 20, 2011, 03:36:23 AM »
Talk about having a face for radio  :lol:

Pretty cool listening to baseball on radio...something atavistic about it, kind of like waking up before dawn and milking cows.

I mean real cows. 

Offline Nathan

« Reply #129: August 20, 2011, 03:37:40 AM »
Those were bulls, dude :P

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #130: August 20, 2011, 05:06:20 AM »
Heard their call on my way to work and went nuts in the car. Great call! Thanks Nathan.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #131: August 20, 2011, 08:27:52 AM »
Great duo. I hope MASN gives the the TV job

Offline zoom

« Reply #132: August 20, 2011, 09:38:17 AM »
that would be cool for the DC area folks, but i am in Seattle.  I'd be bummed losing those guys my XM. 

Maybe a simulcast? 

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #133: August 20, 2011, 09:45:27 AM »
Thanks Nathan!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #134: August 20, 2011, 11:24:35 AM »

Charlie's call

awesome - saw it on mlb as well

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #135: August 20, 2011, 02:20:47 PM »
Blasphemy, I know - and maybe it's just me - but I think Charlie and Dave's style is all wrong for TV.  All that screaming and shouting is fine for radio, but when I actually watch a game, I don't need the booth constantly reminding me that they are there.  Maybe this is why I can't understand all the people who talk about muting Carpenter + whoever.  They're so unobtrusive, is it that hard to just tune them out?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #136: August 20, 2011, 02:23:26 PM »
I thought that about Bob & Dibble, but FP is like a yippy little dog that won't shut up.

Blasphemy, I know - and maybe it's just me - but I think Charlie and Dave's style is all wrong for TV.  All that screaming and shouting is fine for radio, but when I actually watch a game, I don't need the booth constantly reminding me that they are there.  Maybe this is why I can't understand all the people who talk about muting Carpenter + whoever.  They're so unobtrusive, is it that hard to just tune them out?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #137: August 20, 2011, 02:24:59 PM »
After watching the video on MLB, I noticed how different the two are. Charlie and Dave shout in a good way that their team just won. Bob's call was like "This ones fair. Grand Slam!!!!... how do you like that for a Saturday morning!" I didn't mind the call, I just relate more to Charlie and Dave since I was jumping up and down to.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #138: August 20, 2011, 02:25:52 PM »
With radio, they have to talk more to describe what's going on.  I mean it's radio, there can't just be long stretches of silence.  You're right, it might not work as well for TV.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #139: August 20, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »
I thought Dave worked great on TV while he was in the booth last week.  IDK if Charlie AND Dave would work on TV, it might be too much, but I think it would work just fine.  I personally like the radio guys because I just think they call a better game.  I think radio guys generally do.  It's never gotten in the way of my watching the game.  The only thing that's slightly annoying is when what they're talking about doesn't match up with what's on the screen because Charlie and Dave are talking about something completely different.  And one final thing, I C&D have a chemistry and repertoire that come with the several years of experience working together that, IMO would translate to any medium.  Carp hasn't been given that luxury with a year of Sutton, a year and a half of Dibs and then this year with FP.  He's had a revolving door of color guys.  I don't think he does a bad job, but he hasn't really been given the chance to really develop something like C&D have.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #140: August 20, 2011, 03:08:14 PM »
I'm not asking anyone to change their opinions, just stating mine.  I have relatively little to go on, but I don't think my opinion would change unless Charlie and/or Dave's style did.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #141: August 20, 2011, 03:18:38 PM »
Sorry, wasn't trying to be critical...

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #142: August 20, 2011, 03:29:19 PM »
Blasphemy, I know - and maybe it's just me - but I think Charlie and Dave's style is all wrong for TV.  All that screaming and shouting is fine for radio, but when I actually watch a game, I don't need the booth constantly reminding me that they are there.[...]

...fine...let's keep them on the radio (I'd hate to lose them)!

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #143: August 20, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »
With radio, they have to talk more to describe what's going on.  I mean it's radio, there can't just be long stretches of silence.  You're right, it might not work as well for TV.

+1 totally different style.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #144: August 20, 2011, 04:53:56 PM »
Sorry, wasn't trying to be critical...

Oh I know, just making myself clear.  Everyone here has an opinion about the TV and radio broadcast teams.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #145: August 20, 2011, 06:09:55 PM »

didn't vin skully simulcast

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #146: August 20, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »
didn't vin skully simulcast

I know he does one man broadcasts.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #147: August 20, 2011, 10:09:28 PM »
That's because he's a legend.

Offline MikeH0714

« Reply #148: September 27, 2011, 02:31:57 PM »
Did anyone record the inning of Sunday's game against the Braves (9/25) where Henry Rodriguez struck out the side?  That was one of the greatest p-b-p jobs I've ever heard them do!  Would love to hear it again!  Thanks!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #149: September 27, 2011, 06:28:54 PM »
They rock. Does any one else have a hard time telling their voices apart or is that my personal affliction?

I do too!  I wonder who this "Jack of all things" that they talk about?  Is it their producer?  Hung his bathing suit to dry in the booth!  Guy has to be nuts!