Author Topic: Running thread..  (Read 16175 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Running thread..
« Reply #225: May 05, 2012, 08:38:16 AM »
Thanks.
Thhe zombie run was advertised during the Walking Dead tv show. The store, Pacers, has a list of events:
http://runpacers.com/eventcalendar
And yes, google knows all. There's all sorts of dinky 5k fun runs all over town....

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #226: May 19, 2012, 01:23:05 AM »
So, I was in week 1 of a running program and I go and sprain my ankle playing softball this evening.  I can barely walk.  I've never had this happen before.  This sucks.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #227: May 27, 2012, 11:52:14 AM »
I finally bought a pair of Vibram's last night (Komodosport LS on the advice of the good folks at REI).  I ran a short loop around the block last night (maybe 1/10th of a mile) just to see how it felt.  It doesn't change my stride, i usually land fairly square-footed rather than on my heel, but man it looks like it is going to be tough to run with these on sidewalks/roads just due to the lack of cushion.  Any advice/tips/experiences?

here's a review:  http://birthdayshoes.com/komodosport-ls-vibram-fivefingers-review

btw, i got a 20% discount on them at REI using the big sale's current one-time membership discount, plus i'll get 10% back.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #228: May 27, 2012, 01:36:27 PM »
It just takes time to get used to it, I wear 'barefoot' shows and it took a few weeks, but now I don't notice hard surfaces at all

Online imref

« Reply #229: May 27, 2012, 05:50:03 PM »
It just takes time to get used to it, I wear 'barefoot' shows and it took a few weeks, but now I don't notice hard surfaces at all

thanks.  I wore them for a few hours today to try and break them in.  The right one feels really good, the left one still feels pretty tight on the big toe.  I noted to the sales person that they were pretty tight when I tried them, she said they are supposed to be very snug and will stretch out.  I did try on the next size up and they were too lose.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #230: May 27, 2012, 06:12:39 PM »
Here is all the advice (and inspiration) you'll ever need (video). :) If you don't want to go out and run after watching this guy, you'll never want to run.

But if there's one thing you should absolutely know, it's land with your feet under your hips and stride out behind you.

I do virtually all my barefoot miles (15-20 a week) on pavement.

I finally bought a pair of Vibram's last night (Komodosport LS on the advice of the good folks at REI).  I ran a short loop around the block last night (maybe 1/10th of a mile) just to see how it felt.  It doesn't change my stride, i usually land fairly square-footed rather than on my heel, but man it looks like it is going to be tough to run with these on sidewalks/roads just due to the lack of cushion.  Any advice/tips/experiences?

here's a review:  http://birthdayshoes.com/komodosport-ls-vibram-fivefingers-review

btw, i got a 20% discount on them at REI using the big sale's current one-time membership discount, plus i'll get 10% back.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #231: May 27, 2012, 06:14:02 PM »
With regard the FFs, there are other options if you never feel comfortable in them. I wear the vivobarefoot shoes, but there are also lemings, Adams, NB minimus, Zockwas, etc.
thanks.  I wore them for a few hours today to try and break them in.  The right one feels really good, the left one still feels pretty tight on the big toe.  I noted to the sales person that they were pretty tight when I tried them, she said they are supposed to be very snug and will stretch out.  I did try on the next size up and they were too lose.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #232: May 28, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »
With regard the FFs, there are other options if you never feel comfortable in them. I wear the vivobarefoot shoes, but there are also lemings, Adams, NB minimus, Zockwas, etc.

I wear vivos and love them, I dint realize you were referring to tight toes- a huge toe box is usually a characteristic of the non 'toe' barefoot shoes, so it seems odd the toe would be tight

Online imref

« Reply #233: May 28, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »
i've been wearing them a couple of hours a day, right shoe is fine, left big toe is still really really tight (and kind of painful after an hour).  Haven't really run much but have used them to walk around, run errands, and do some yard work to break them in and get comfortable with them.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #234: May 29, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »
It was 71 at the 3 AM run.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #235: May 29, 2012, 01:11:15 PM »
It's gonna be 85 for my 7:30 p.m. run. :(
It was 71 at the 3 AM run.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #236: May 29, 2012, 01:17:42 PM »
Just to be clear, imaref was concerned about the tightness of the big toe in his VFFs.

I like my Vivos well enough, but I find the NEOs both hot (fine in Winter) and loud when running. Which ones do you have?

I'm hoping for a quieter shoe, but maybe I'm hoping in vain. I'll bet they are all loud compared to bare feet. Part of the appeal of running barefoot is the quietness. I usually cough or say something to the dog when I'm about 50 feet behind someone on the running path so I don't startle them.

Bedrock huaraches may be my next purchase.

http://bedrocksandals.com/earthquake-sandals.php

I wear vivos and love them, I dint realize you were referring to tight toes- a huge toe box is usually a characteristic of the non 'toe' barefoot shoes, so it seems odd the toe would be tight

Offline mitlen

« Reply #237: May 29, 2012, 01:34:57 PM »
It's gonna be 85 for my 7:30 p.m. run. :(

I used to run after work (6 PM or so) and it about killed me.    It was hot (summer), after work, pumped me up for hours, etc.   

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #238: May 29, 2012, 01:36:39 PM »
Yeah. I do notice that in the heat my pulse stays higher longer. But getting up in the morning is torture for me.

I used to run after work (6 PM or so) and it about killed me.    It was hot (summer), after work, pumped me up for hours, etc.   

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #239: May 29, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »
Just to be clear, imaref was concerned about the tightness of the big toe in his VFFs.

I like my Vivos well enough, but I find the NEOs both hot (fine in Winter) and loud when running. Which ones do you have?

I'm hoping for a quieter shoe, but maybe I'm hoping in vain. I'll bet they are all loud compared to bare feet. Part of the appeal of running barefoot is the quietness. I usually cough or say something to the dog when I'm about 50 feet behind someone on the running path so I don't startle them.

Bedrock huaraches may be my next purchase.

http://bedrocksandals.com/earthquake-sandals.php

I have the neos, but I usually run with either a stroller or earbuds, so I don't notice the noise. I've never though they were hot, but that's compared to the new balances I had before I got them

Offline mitlen

« Reply #240: May 29, 2012, 01:40:29 PM »
Yeah. I do notice that in the heat my pulse stays higher longer. But getting up in the morning is torture for me.

I understand.   Different strokes, etc.     I've always been a morning person.   I can stay up late if I need to but I love gettin' up before dawn.  Be careful out there, the conditions can suck it out of you before you know it.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #241: May 29, 2012, 01:48:31 PM »
I went running for the first time in like a month.

Why do I do this to myself? I miss a couple runs and the next thing I know, it's been 3-4 weeks

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #242: May 29, 2012, 02:57:35 PM »
Do what to yourself? What you are feeling is the weakness leaving your body. ;)

I went running for the first time in like a month.

Why do I do this to myself? I miss a couple runs and the next thing I know, it's been 3-4 weeks

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #243: May 29, 2012, 02:58:32 PM »
Yeah. I have a really convenient run: 1/2 mile to the park, 1/2 loops, 1/2 mile back. I can cut it short and walk home really easily.  Great for an insulin-dependent diabetic.

But I wish you hadn't said "strokes." :)

I understand.   Different strokes, etc.     I've always been a morning person.   I can stay up late if I need to but I love gettin' up before dawn.  Be careful out there, the conditions can suck it out of you before you know it.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #244: May 29, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »
Yeah. I have a really convenient run: 1/2 mile to the park, 1/2 loops, 1/2 mile back. I can cut it short and walk home really easily.  Great for an insulin-dependent diabetic.

But I wish you hadn't said "strokes." :)

Different kind of "stroke"  ...   LOL    I feel the same way as a draftee when people say, "Greetings" to me.     

Offline mitlen

« Reply #245: June 03, 2012, 09:06:37 AM »
What a beautiful morning for a run.    Hit the road around 0600.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #246: June 09, 2012, 09:42:38 PM »
Made it a mile 3 times this week.  Tried for a 4th somewhere in the middle and found out why nutrition and stretching are important.  But after just one week, it's already easier.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #247: June 10, 2012, 11:06:17 PM »
Do what to yourself? What you are feeling is the weakness leaving your body. ;)

Yes, but it's weakness I let come back.

I'll get in to the habit of running everyday (or most days.) Then I'll skip a run ... next day I don't feel like it ... next thing I know, it's been two or three weeks since I've gone running.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #248: June 11, 2012, 12:26:15 PM »
Made it a mile 3 times this week.  Tried for a 4th somewhere in the middle and found out why nutrition and stretching are important.  But after just one week, it's already easier.

I never stretch before I run.    Before I run, I walk for 1/8 of a mile or so at a fast pace.     I either stretch or run.   I'm too old to do both on the same day.   :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #249: June 11, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »
A lot of newer thinking says don't stretch before you run... just walk, then run gently, then increase speed.

Stretch gently, only after you are warm.