Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 157997 times)

Offline Dave B

Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #250: December 20, 2008, 06:51:40 PM »
Oh Dave - please don't direct yourself to such a life of swill and refrigerated piss.

Anheuser owns Red Hook, Dominion, and some others.  I don't put those in the swill category.

So where did you have Fuller's on tap ?

Lola's. New place on Barrack's Row. First time I've been there. Like it a lot. Seems like a classy joint. Woody but not in that faux-old kinda way.  Similar to Clyde's decor but no as ostentatious or ornate.  The bar stools are big and comfy almost like couches. Definitely worth a look. Not loud. Lots on tap, but nothing out of the ordinary except for the Fullers. Easy TV watching. Had some soccer highlight shows on last night. So it is not just an ESPN fest

The tap was very similar to the Guiness one right next to it, just a different color. I heard of some Guiness thing. Guiness Red. Supposed to be a little sweeter and designed for chicks, but I'd give it a go. That's what I thought it would be, but it wasnt. I wonder if Fullers and Guiness are related somehow or just use the same tap handle maker

Offline Dave B

« Reply #251: December 20, 2008, 06:53:57 PM »

Anheuser owns Red Hook, Dominion, and some others.  I don't put those in the swill category.

I guess I have to get used to the fact that everything will fall under a conglomerate one day. I should probably realize that it doesnt mean  that the beer changes.  But there are those weird things like Shock Top that are probably bud with food coloring and orange flavor

Offline blue911

« Reply #252: December 20, 2008, 07:11:50 PM »
Lola's. New place on Barrack's Row. First time I've been there. Like it a lot. Seems like a classy joint. Woody but not in that faux-old kinda way.  Similar to Clyde's decor but no as ostentatious or ornate.  The bar stools are big and comfy almost like couches. Definitely worth a look. Not loud. Lots on tap, but nothing out of the ordinary except for the Fullers. Easy TV watching. Had some soccer highlight shows on last night. So it is not just an ESPN fest

The tap was very similar to the Guiness one right next to it, just a different color. I heard of some Guiness thing. Guiness Red. Supposed to be a little sweeter and designed for chicks, but I'd give it a go. That's what I thought it would be, but it wasnt. I wonder if Fullers and Guiness are related somehow or just use the same tap handle maker

They just bought Finn's.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #253: December 20, 2008, 07:15:41 PM »
They just bought Finn's.

Fuller's website makes no mention of chocolate stout. I'm confused. . .

Offline blue911

« Reply #254: December 20, 2008, 07:19:34 PM »

I was telling Dave that Lola's just bought another establishment on Barracks Row.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #255: December 20, 2008, 07:20:06 PM »
I was telling Dave that Lola's just bought another establishment on Barracks Row.

Meant to quote one of Dave's posts, sorry.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #256: December 20, 2008, 07:44:17 PM »
They just bought Finn's.

i havent been down that way in a while and noticed Finns was border up a couple weeks ago. Are they right next to each other? They going to expand into that space?  I liked Finn MacCools. I guess I'll see how it is going to turn out.

Things happening down there. New Matchbox. Been too crowded to get in though.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #257: December 20, 2008, 07:48:54 PM »

I think the guy said "chocolate porter" i might have said stout. i dont know what the difference is. it looked like guiness. thats probably where i got stout from.

my bill said "london" something

i found a fuller's london porter on beer advocate. sounds like what i had

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #258: December 20, 2008, 11:37:22 PM »
Budweiser is brewed by the same Belgian company that now markets Leffe trappist ales (though some woulsd call Leffe pseudotrappist at this point), and MGD is produced by the same company that produces Africa's best beer, Windhoek lager.  The macroswills are but a part of some pretty diverse beer conglomorates. 

I guess I have to get used to the fact that everything will fall under a conglomerate one day. I should probably realize that it doesnt mean  that the beer changes.  But there are those weird things like Shock Top that are probably bud with food coloring and orange flavor

« Reply #259: December 21, 2008, 11:14:28 AM »
After a scientific survey with sample size of 6, Brooklyn's Chocolate Stoudt was the winner of Young's Chocolate Stoudt by a 4 - 2 margin.

Actually, it seemed to depend on whether one likes a creamy beer (Young's) vs a beer with a little bite (Brooklyn).  But I like them both and I never would have tried Young's without the good advice of posters.  So thank you for the suggestions.

I think I still prefer the Young's. If I want to get completely sloshed, Brooklyn will do nicely, but if I am just in the mood to chill out, I'll grab a Young's.

Plus over $11 for a six pack of Brooklyn? Damn, that can hurt the wallet at times.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #260: December 21, 2008, 12:38:14 PM »
I think I still prefer the Young's. If I want to get completely sloshed, Brooklyn will do nicely, but if I am just in the mood to chill out, I'll grab a Young's.

Plus over $11 for a six pack of Brooklyn? Damn, that can hurt the wallet at times.

but its really like a 12 pack

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #261: December 21, 2008, 01:06:01 PM »
I've been enjoying the Magic Hat Odd Notion (Winter 08).
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/96/45387

Braggot is a new one to me. I'm looking forward to trying a Founders Braggot when I can locate one.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/36776

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #262: December 21, 2008, 03:14:04 PM »

I tasted the Young's this week (courtesy of Mathguy) and have to vote strongly for Brooklyn.  Young's I found very similar to Guiness, not that thats all bad, but creamier and subtle, complex flavors vs. the overt aggression of Brooklyn. 

« Reply #263: December 22, 2008, 09:34:34 AM »
I tasted the Young's this week (courtesy of Mathguy) and have to vote strongly for Brooklyn.  Young's I found very similar to Guiness, not that thats all bad, but creamier and subtle, complex flavors vs. the overt aggression of Brooklyn. 

Wow, really? Completely opposite for me. I thought the Brooklyn's had an outstanding head (possibly one of the best I have seen or tasted in my short history with brew), but aside from that I thought it had the Guinness feel of guzzling tar, killing taste buds.

Not that I don't like Guinness, but we are talking Chocolate Stouts here and if I want a Chocolate Stout, I want to be able to taste Chocolate Stout.

With Young's I have a delightful flavor all the way through. I enjoyed both, but still prefer the Young's. It's like I said, if I want to get hammered I'll go for the Brooklyn's, if I want to just chill out, I'll go with the Young's. For me personally, when I drink beer, I am usually looking to chill out.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #264: December 22, 2008, 01:34:07 PM »
Here's another one to try: Southern Tier Chokolat Stout, currently on tap at Rustico in Alexandria, VA. May be the smoothest, most delectable chocolate stout I've ever tasted. The brewery is in upstate New York, so you might be able to get it at Total Beverage.

« Reply #265: December 22, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »
Here's another one to try: Southern Tier Chokolat Stout, currently on tap at Rustico in Alexandria, VA. May be the smoothest, most delectable chocolate stout I've ever tasted. The brewery is in upstate New York, so you might be able to get it at Total Beverage.

Fortune smiles upon me possibly: I will be in upstate NY Thursday and Friday. I will have write that brew down.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #266: December 22, 2008, 06:12:59 PM »

speaking of the devil. never heard of southern tier.  until about an hour ago. found a sampler case up here in philly, but no chocolate stout in it. i basically just bought it because it's name is a specific subdivision of "upstate new york". so i figured they must be very proud of their binghamton area.  then i come on here and someone mentions it. crazy.  saranac is usually the "upstate ny" beer people have seen/had

Offline 2IPAs

« Reply #267: December 23, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
speaking of the devil. never heard of southern tier.  until about an hour ago. found a sampler case up here in philly, but no chocolate stout in it. i basically just bought it because it's name is a specific subdivision of "upstate new york". so i figured they must be very proud of their binghamton area.  then i come on here and someone mentions it. crazy.  saranac is usually the "upstate ny" beer people have seen/had
Beer moves in mysterious ways!  :)

Offline 2IPAs

« Reply #268: December 23, 2008, 09:16:54 AM »
Fortune smiles upon me possibly: I will be in upstate NY Thursday and Friday. I will have write that brew down.
Good, you can give us your impression if you find some. But it's strong, so be careful.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #269: December 23, 2008, 09:17:55 AM »
Beer moves in mysterious ways!  :)

:lol:

Good, you can give us your impression if you find some. But it's strong, so be careful.

:rofl:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #270: December 23, 2008, 01:10:51 PM »
Just picked up a 4x1pint pack of Boddington's. Supposedly it's the closest thing you can get to bitters in a can. Still looking for ESB.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #271: December 23, 2008, 10:00:38 PM »
Just picked up a 4x1pint pack of Boddington's. Supposedly it's the closest thing you can get to bitters in a can. Still looking for ESB.

It's a bit bitter, and very light and creamy - and a bit metallic, but it's probably because I never ever drink canned beer. Overall, pretty tasty.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #272: December 24, 2008, 07:36:34 AM »

That is my go to beer when I just want a well-crafted standard beer

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #273: December 24, 2008, 02:56:15 PM »
Costco had 18 packs of Guinness, Smithwick's, and Harp. Sweet!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #274: December 24, 2008, 03:29:21 PM »
I found Baltic Porter at my Safeway today, and it is also distributed through Wegman's