Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 88089 times)

Offline houston-nat

I was thinking yesterday, watching the Phillies being terrible that we should trade for Cliff Lee.  First, since we'd be assuming the final three years of his $20+ million contract (most of it, at least), we wouldn't have to give up any good prospects.  The Phillies would be getting the sub-Cutter Dykstra type prospects.  Also, from the Phillies perspective, they'd have enough money to resign Hamels, further reducing the type of prospects we'd be required to give up.

On the Nationals, Lee would be the substitute for Jackson as Jackson is likely to want a contract longer than three years.  He'll sign for less per year but probably more years.

Okay, I really like that thinking. I don't think Lee would be dirt cheap in terms of prospects, but if we could assume all the $$$ on the deal we probably would not have to part with any blue-chippers at all.

Offline DPMOmaha

I was thinking yesterday, watching the Phillies being terrible that we should trade for Cliff Lee.  First, since we'd be assuming the final three years of his $20+ million contract (most of it, at least), we wouldn't have to give up any good prospects.  The Phillies would be getting the sub-Cutter Dykstra type prospects.  Also, from the Phillies perspective, they'd have enough money to resign Hamels, further reducing the type of prospects we'd be required to give up.

On the Nationals, Lee would be the substitute for Jackson as Jackson is likely to want a contract longer than three years.  He'll sign for less per year but probably more years.

That's an interesting thought.  Not sure if the Phils would trade him in division like that.  I doubt it, especially if they do get Hamels sign, I'd imagine they'd still believe that Hamels/Lee/Halladay is still pretty dang good the next two to three years. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Okay, I really like that thinking. I don't think Lee would be dirt cheap in terms of prospects, but if we could assume all the $$$ on the deal we probably would not have to part with any blue-chippers at all.

I like the idea of Lee never winning a world series after leaving tons of money on the table to go to Philtadelphia.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
Milwood has been pitching ok, but probably no better than John Lannan or someone from Syracuse would do. For me, if they want to do their best to replace Strasburg in September and October it has to be Ryan Dempster.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Yah! I bet the Phillies are dying to trade a quality SP to a division rival for table scraps!

That's the ticket!

Offline Hogie

Dempster went 6 today and gave up 0 ER. His ERA is now down to 1.86

Let's offer them cheap trash and take his salary off their hands!

Dempster divers!

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Yah! I bet the Phillies are dying to trade a quality SP to a division rival for table scraps!

That's the ticket!
Yeah I don't see how that'd work.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Dempster went 6 today and gave up 0 ER. His ERA is now down to 1.86

Let's offer them cheap trash and take his salary off their hands!

Dempster divers!

As with Lee, the Cubs have no incentive to trade Dempster for trash.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
I didn't say everyone not on the Nats is a Malcontent.  I said Greinke is!  He didn't want us.  Ive heard derogatory comments from him a out other teams.  You don't burn bridges.  You never know who you're going to end up working for.  We got great team chemistry now.  We don't need Greinke to break that up!

So Grienke rejected a trade to the Nats.

which makes him a malcontent. got it.

Offline ronnynat

Doumit needs to be a target.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Can you trade a guy you just re-signed?

Offline ronnynat

Can you trade a guy you just re-signed?

Damn, I didn't even hear about that. Well crap, I can't think of any other catchers we can go after. Doumit would have been perfect.

Maybe Kelly Shoppach?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Grienke does have a reputation as being standoffish and not really being social. Then again, I'm not sure I would care if he comes at the right price and pitches like he has been.

Garza would fit in nicely throws over 200 innings with ease

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
So Grienke rejected a trade to the Nats.

which makes him a malcontent. got it.
You like to take items out of context and ignore the rest dont you?

Offline HalfSmokes

The last thing I want to do is free up money for them to resign Hammels (who's probably the better of the two going forward)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
You like to take items out of context and ignore the rest dont you?

Not at all.

as far as I know, Greinke hasn't really ever caused problems in a dugout or clubhouse. he hasn't ever gone to war with management over anything. he hasn't been in trouble off the field.  he hasn't started anything with any opposing team (as far as I know). He's done nothing but come out on every 5th day and pitch well and keep to himself.

so...

outside of not accepting a trade to the Nats in order to go to a team that was a contender at the time, rather than a team who lost 100+ games 2 years in a row, what SPECIFICALLY (i.e. not vague)has Grienke done that makes him a malcontent?

Offline Mattionals

So this team needs a real catcher.  Solano is a great backup (defense first) but Flores is both defensively and offensively inferior to Solano and I don't like the idea of catching Solano every game.  I think it's time to trade for a veteran catcher if one can be found who provides more than what Flores has.  Just a two month rental.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
So this team needs a real catcher.  Solano is a great backup (defense first) but Flores is both defensively and offensively inferior to Solano and I don't like the idea of catching Solano every game.  I think it's time to trade for a veteran catcher if one can be found who provides more than what Flores has.  Just a two month rental.

Flores went to 2-3 with a sac - calm down

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

Pudge?????

Offline houston-nat

Flores went to 2-3 with a sac - calm down

Jesus Flores this year .230/.272/.348, wOBA .262, wRC+ 60 (league average = 100*), 0.2 WAR in 53 games

*this means, basically, that Flores generates 40% fewer runs than the average MLB player

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Jesus Flores is the problem?

No.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
He ain't part of the solution.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Considering that Flores is the R in WAR, I really don't think we're doing that bad at the catcher position

Offline Mattionals

Jesus Flores this year .230/.272/.348, wOBA .262, wRC+ 60 (league average = 100*), 0.2 WAR in 53 games

*this means, basically, that Flores generates 40% fewer runs than the average MLB player

This.

I don't care that he went 2-3 with a sac tonight, he isn't hitting consistently enough at the plate and he isn't hitting in the spots where we absolutely NEED him to hit.  Defensively he is average, and by that he seems to be alright with most guys, but some of the wild pitches / passed balls from the Rod should have been fielded cleanly.  Also, I don't trust him throwing out runners.

Overall he was a nice story after being selected in Rule V, being great for a bit and then going down with a potential career ending injury.  He returned, but has been passed over by Ramos.  Any contending club in our position would look at the Catcher spot and see it is an issue and upgrade.  Honestly does anyone even think he will be around next year?  Solano is more then competent as a back up catcher and will come EVEN CHEAPER and YOUNGER than Flores.  I'd trade him now for a prospect and pick up a veteran catcher rental.