Author Topic: Ramos, Norris listed among Top 10 Catching prospects in baseball  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
MLB.com Johnathan Mayo has Wilson Ramos and Derek Norris among the Top 10 catching prospects in baseball.

Ramos - 7
Norris - 10

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13088527

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
I've talked about this before, that catching depth might actually get the Nats the starter they need or a great outfielder. Maybe at the beginning of ST, maybe at the deadline.

Offline UMDNats

To me, Norris has a far higher ceiling than Ramos.

Offline Potomac Cannons

To me, Norris has a far higher ceiling than Ramos.

Agreed.  A healthy Flores could really make C a significant strength and, as PANatsFan said, a position to deal from for needs.

Offline HalfSmokes

I'll go out on a Limb and say Norris never takes an ab as a Nat, he seems almost too valuable not to be dealt, especially if his defense doesn't improve

Offline Potomac Cannons

I'll go out on a Limb and say Norris never takes an ab as a Nat, he seems almost too valuable not to be dealt, especially if his defense doesn't improve

Except that every single baseball source has noted that his defense already has improved.  40+% thrown out the last two years, great handle on the strike zone, just needs a little more seasoning on blocking balls and calling games to a pitcher's strengths.

Norris better not be in a deal for anything short of an established premier bat or a #1 SP.

Flores, once he proves he's healthy, seems like the most obvious choice to move.

Offline HalfSmokes

Floris would yield nothing in return, Norris could get you a premier bat or a number 1 SP. Just a hunch, but I think he gets dealt for that top tier starter Rizzo couldn't sign

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Floris would yield nothing in return, Norris could get you a premier bat or a number 1 SP. Just a hunch, but I think he gets dealt for that top tier starter Rizzo couldn't sign

Norris also could turn out to be another major plus bat in our lineup, reminiscent of Piazza.  As pointed out he's already made significant progress recently, I would not presume he's maxxed out all of a sudden.  The big question on Flores is whether or not he can throw. 

Between the 3 of them - Ramos, Flores, Norris, we ought to be able to cull to 2 that are on the 2012 roster and hopefully can make it happen sooner if someone needs Pudge this season.

Offline NatsDad14

I still don't see the hype for Flores. He has a weak bat and isn't a great defender. Not to mention we have no idea how he responds to his injuries.

Offline blue911

I still don't see the hype for Flores. He has a weak bat and isn't a great defender. Not to mention we have no idea how he responds to his injuries. reincarnation.

fixed

Offline Potomac Cannons

Flores' bat was behind because we picked him up as a rule 5 and he skipped two levels.  09 was a heck of a start before his shoulder fell off.  This is a guy who, while playing at the MLB level before ready, put up 2.3 WAR in 627 PA and had put up a 0.9 WAR in 09 in only 106 PA.  His 09 BB% was around where his 08 AAA BB% was which indicates a 24 year old learning to hit at the MLB level.  He had some pop for sure.  20 HR in A+ for the Muts before we picked him up.  8 HR in 301 PA in 08.  4 HR in 106 PA in 09.

I'll still wouldn't bank on anything from him but it would be a great trade piece if he puts up a .750+ OPS for a couple of months while showing signs of his HR power returning.  I don't think a return to the .877 he was putting up in 09 is feasible right away.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I still don't see the hype for Flores. He has a weak bat and isn't a great defender. Not to mention we have no idea how he responds to his injuries.

Not sure how you conclude he has a weak bat.  Wil Nieves has a weak bat.

Offline NatsDad14

Flores' bat was behind because we picked him up as a rule 5 and he skipped two levels.  09 was a heck of a start before his shoulder fell off.  This is a guy who, while playing at the MLB level before ready, put up 2.3 WAR in 627 PA and had put up a 0.9 WAR in 09 in only 106 PA.  His 09 BB% was around where his 08 AAA BB% was which indicates a 24 year old learning to hit at the MLB level.  He had some pop for sure.  20 HR in A+ for the Muts before we picked him up.  8 HR in 301 PA in 08.  4 HR in 106 PA in 09.

His BB% in 2008 AAA is irrelevant because he only had 69 PA. That is a very small sample size. BB% doesn't stabilize until 200 PA. http://saberlibrary.com/more/sample-size/ That means he would have needed about 3X the PA before we had any idea about his BB%

Not sure how you conclude he has a weak bat.  Wil Nieves has a weak bat.

.313 OBP and .719 OPS in the big leagues and .309 OBP and .740 OPS in the minors.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I remember a clutch hitter with men on base, with quite a few extra base hits.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
His BB% in 2008 AAA is irrelevant because he only had 69 PA. That is a very small sample size. BB% doesn't stabilize until 200 PA. http://saberlibrary.com/more/sample-size/ That means he would have needed about 3X the PA before we had any idea about his BB%

.313 OBP and .719 OPS in the big leagues and .309 OBP and .740 OPS in the minors.

I'd give more weight to his most recent period of play, since he's a young guy still developing.

In 2009 for 106 PA's, .301 .371 .505.  That's not a weak bat at any position, much less catcher.

Offline Potomac Cannons

I'd give more weight to his most recent period of play, since he's a young guy still developing.

In 2009 for 106 PA's, .301 .371 .505.  That's not a weak bat at any position, much less catcher.

And the earlier seasons have to be understood in the context of a rule 5 guy plucked out of A+ ball.  He's had to develop at the MLB level probably 2 years before he should have.  He's got good power, a decent eye, and he's not a bad defensive catcher either.

I still say best case scenario is Pudge gets moved now, Flores plays well for 3-4 months and is packaged as part of a deal and Ramos/Norris is the projection to start next year.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Being strong at C is a good place to be.

Offline JMUalumni

Espinosa makes #5 for 2B prospects:

5. Danny Espinosa, Nationals: A shortstop for much of his pro career (and at the infielder factory that is Long Beach State), Espinosa played second every day in Washington last September. That could very well be his job to lose this spring, though he does have the defensive ability to play both middle-infield positions. Offensively, he's got some speed and power and was one of the few 20-20 guys in the Minors in 2010.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110118&content_id=16457012&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&tcid=tw_article_16457012

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I wouldn't mind trading Norris if Wilson Ramos has a passable bat. I think Wilson Ramous could be a great defensive catcher and in the NL, we'd be more than set with an elite defensive C if the guy has even an average bat.

However, he'd have to be the center piece of a trade for a #2/#3 starter. Could we package Ramos as a major piece for a legit #4/5 starter?

Jesus Flores would be a good backup catcher.

Offline houston-nat

However, he'd have to be the center piece of a trade for a #2/#3 starter. Could we package Ramos as a major piece for a legit #4/5 starter?

Dude, we packaged Michael Burgess as a major piece for a legit #4/5 starter. Wilson Ramos is more valuable than that.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Ramos looks like he could be a doubles machine. That would be really great.