Poll

Where does Zach Walters play in 2014?

Makes thes MLB club as the utility infielder.
5 (21.7%)
Sent to AAA and plays SHORTSTOP everyday
8 (34.8%)
Sent to AAA and plays SECOND everyday
8 (34.8%)
Sent to AAA and plays THIRD everyday
2 (8.7%)
Traded
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Zach "Salty" Walters (UT)  (Read 11695 times)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: About Zach Walters...
« Reply #75: March 17, 2014, 09:00:21 PM »
Mindfact alert: More balls are hit to CF.

:shrug: who knows, Harper's gonna Harper.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #76: March 17, 2014, 11:37:16 PM »
What? You're telling me  you're not impressed by Danny's .553 OPS this spring?   

I think I'm more impressed with Eddie Brinkman's fielding. Espinosa just sounds like a rock-head. His hitting is always some coaches fault or the whole organization's fault, but never his own.

Espinosa can field SS. That's his value. Maybe an AL team coud use him. Good glove, can't hit, but the AL doesn't have the pitcher hit. Not much interest even there, I'd guess.

And keep Span. He plays and hits at a major-league level. Goodwin might he "the CF of the future," but he doesn't hit much in AA. A long jump tp the majors. Maybe a year when he masters AA pitching (= hits .300)  and then manages AAA. That's 2014 and 2015. Maybe 2016?

Sousa will be a good LF. Move Harper to RF, keep Span, and start Werth at least two or three games a week, depending, and maybe as soon as 2015.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #77: March 18, 2014, 08:49:51 AM »
So far, this page does not have a post that mentions Walters name.  Is this a Walters thread or just one on organizational observations?

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #78: March 18, 2014, 10:27:31 AM »
And keep Span. He plays an hits at a major-league level. Goodwin might he "the CF of the future," but he does't hit much in AA. A long jump tp the majors. Maybe a year when he masters AA pitching (= hits .300)  and then manages AAA. That's 2014 and 2015. Maybe 2016?

There's much more to hitting ability than just BA. Goodwin hit much better last season than Span. He did it in AA of course but you can't say he didn't hit well last year if you think Span did.

This post is actually about Zach Walters.

Offline madj55

« Reply #79: March 18, 2014, 11:33:20 AM »
So far, this page does not have a post that mentions Walters name.  Is this a Walters thread or just one on organizational observations?
Personally, I'd rather see Walters and Kobernus head up north over Espinosa and Carroll.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #80: March 18, 2014, 03:08:42 PM »

Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters.  Walters. 

Walters. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81: March 18, 2014, 03:15:39 PM »
f all of you.  I'm setting up a "not about Zach Walters" thread.

Oh, wait - that is the general spring training thread.  nevermind.

Walters.

Offline welch

« Reply #82: March 18, 2014, 04:49:01 PM »
There's much more to hitting ability than just BA. Goodwin hit much better last season than Span. He did it in AA of course but you can't say he didn't hit well last year if you think Span did.

This post is actually about Zach Walters.

Goodwin was a .250 hitter in AA. Span hit .275 or so in the Majors. That's a big difference. I'd expect a player to hit better in AA, where more pitchers just throw fastballs. Espinosa hit .265, more or less, in the minors. Goodwin was also hitting in smaller parks and against weaker fielders. Re AA fielding: I every time I've been to Harrisburg, I've seen grounders to the left side and thought, OK, that's an out. Comes from watching Ryan Zimmerman and David Wright too much. In all cases, the Harrisburg 3B moved a couple steps and watched the ball roll into LF.

Example: take a guy who hit .265 in AA with 23 homers. In lower A he hit about .340. I would not start him over a guy who only hit 2 homers but hit about .290 in the majors. I'm cheating a little, since the first player is Dan Dobbek, and I had his Topps "rookie star to watch" card in 1959 or 1960. He was supposed to be the next Bob Allison. He played parts of three major league seasons, mostly hitting about .230 or less. The other is Lennie Green, a key player in CF for the 1960 Senators and then for the Twins.

Putting it another way, I'd rather have Mickey Rivers, Lennie Green, Bret Gardner, or Denard Span in CF, than a prospect who has not shown he can hit. When Goodwin hits in AA and AAA, then he'll be ready.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83: March 18, 2014, 05:59:04 PM »
Goodwin was a .250 hitter in AA. Span hit .275 or so in the Majors. That's a big difference. I'd expect a player to hit better in AA, where more pitchers just throw fastballs. Espinosa hit .265, more or less, in the minors. Goodwin was also hitting in smaller parks and against weaker fielders. Re AA fielding: I every time I've been to Harrisburg, I've seen grounders to the left side and thought, OK, that's an out. Comes from watching Ryan Zimmerman and David Wright too much. In all cases, the Harrisburg 3B moved a couple steps and watched the ball roll into LF.

Example: take a guy who hit .265 in AA with 23 homers. In lower A he hit about .340. I would not start him over a guy who only hit 2 homers but hit about .290 in the majors. I'm cheating a little, since the first player is Dan Dobbek, and I had his Topps "rookie star to watch" card in 1959 or 1960. He was supposed to be the next Bob Allison. He played parts of three major league seasons, mostly hitting about .230 or less. The other is Lennie Green, a key player in CF for the 1960 Senators and then for the Twins.

Putting it another way, I'd rather have Mickey Rivers, Lennie Green, Bret Gardner, or Denard Span in CF, than a prospect who has not shown he can hit. When Goodwin hits in AA and AAA, then he'll be ready.

Walters
FTFY

Offline welch

« Reply #84: March 18, 2014, 07:44:01 PM »
I meant to say, "I'd rather have Mickey Rivers, Lennie Green, Brett Gardner, Zach Walters, or Denard Span in CF..."

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #85: March 18, 2014, 10:26:32 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks Walters is NOT starting material? High strike outs, low walks, low average. Yes he hits for power. Sounds Danny Espinosa without the base stealing and defense.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #86: March 18, 2014, 10:31:10 PM »
I meant to say, "I'd rather have Mickey Rivers, Lennie Green, Brett Gardner, Zach Walters, or Denard Span in CF..."

We will let you get away with it just this once Welch.

Goodwin still has a lot to prove, as most "5 tool guys" do.  Remember Justin Maxwell?  That being said, I think Span will have a tremendous year and his option for 2015 is relatively cheap.  Goodwin and/or Mike Taylor have some time to prove they are ready.

Walters offensively is ready and probably could hack it defensively but I'd rather see him get regular at bats and field work at AAA considering that I think he is a future infielder on the MLB club, just not at his "regular" position.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #87: March 18, 2014, 10:49:18 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks Walters is NOT starting material? High strike outs, low walks, low average. Yes he hits for power. Sounds Danny Espinosa without the base stealing and defense.

Think of him like Desmond.  His talent was and still is raw.  He has a heck of an arm, decent speed even if he isn't a stolen base threat (think first to third or take the extra base speed) and has a decent amount of raw power with a swing that doesn't have a loop in it.  Yes, he struck out too much but it seems that he is able to cut that back as he is finding out that he can shorten up and put the ball in play.  I've seen him first hand and he impressed.  I didn't know much about him until last season, figuring he was just a touted prospect who wasn't putting it together.  After I saw him live, my mind changed.  His swing and stance are very Mattingly-sequel and he doesn't try to do too much.  His fielding is fairly slick and I think the errors are him learning to not overthink the play too much, ala Desmond.

Sure, I see what his numbers have been, but I think I'm seeing what some scouting reports say about him.  His upside is greater than any other MI prospect the Nats have in the minors, and pretty much the same can be said if he switches to 3B.  He doesn't have the talent of Harper or Rendon, but he seems to be a textbook Desmond like guy.  It worked once and. I don't see the organization giving up on him.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #88: March 18, 2014, 11:41:53 PM »
Desi's numbers are far better than Walters' through Double and Triple A. And Walters is 25.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89: March 19, 2014, 11:49:11 AM »
I don't mind letting a guy like Walters (or some of the other position prospects) ripen more at AAA and AA.  He has 1800+ PAs in the minors, but only 800 at AA and AAA.  Getting another 200 PAs or so in Syracuse would not be a horrible thing.  What is the typical target for a developing guy? 

As Slate says, he's 24 going on 25, but he was a college kid.  He's about at the stage Kevin Youkilis was when he started splitting time between Boston and Pawtucket.  We are at a stage where we do not need to rush guys to the majors.  I hope Rendon is the last one for a while.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #90: March 19, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »
Desi's numbers are far better than Walters' through Double and Triple A. And Walters is 25.

Walters won't be 25 until September and the things he does right don't show in his numbers.  He is a guy that needs to put it all together, and I think he is seizing that opportunity now.  I may be wrong here, but there is a lot to like.  Anyone have any BP or BaseballAmerica scouting reports on him?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91: March 19, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »
http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=29400.0

Doesn't have the BP or BA from his draft year, but has BA's review of his trade to the Nats and Hulet's write up.

Offline blue911

« Reply #92: March 19, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »
http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=29400.0

Doesn't have the BP or BA from his draft year, but has BA's review of his trade to the Nats and Hulet's write up.

Acquired IF-S Zachary Walters from the Diamondbacks for RHP Jason Marquis. [7/30]

At least the Nationals can say they traded for an All-Star; Zach Walters was giving that honor in the Midwest League this year, where he has hit a healthy .302/.377/.485 for Low-A South Bend, ranking among the league's top five in both total bases and extra-base hits. A ninth-round pick in 2010 out of San Diego, Walters has good size for an infielder, but he's an average runner with range that is a bit light at shortstop.  He profiles better as a second or third baseman with a solid approach and gap power. Most likely, we’re looking at a utility player with an outside shot at a few starting jobs here and there. —Kevin Goldstein

BP 7/30/2011

Offline Slateman

« Reply #93: March 19, 2014, 03:00:31 PM »
Yea, sorry. "Not showing up in the stats" is code for gritty. In other words, he's a worse version of Danny Espinosa

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #94: March 19, 2014, 03:53:45 PM »
Yea, sorry. "Not showing up in the stats" is code for gritty. In other words, he's a worse version of Danny Espinosa

Stop mindfacting.  I think you should watch him play and make an observed opinion rather than just looking at some stats and saying he sucks.  It's totally fine if you think he sucks after you watch him, but he has had a torrid spring and is pushing the envelope on a position of need at the MLB level.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #95: March 20, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »
Stop mindfacting.  I think you should watch him play and make an observed opinion rather than just looking at some stats and saying he sucks.  It's totally fine if you think he sucks after you watch him, but he has had a torrid spring and is pushing the envelope on a position of need at the MLB level.

Espinosa didn't suck... for two years he was a top 10 second baseman... yeah he fell off a cliff, but if Walters could give us two years of peak Espinosa production it really wouldn't be a bad thing.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #96: March 20, 2014, 11:12:43 AM »
Off to Syracuse

Offline Slateman

« Reply #97: March 20, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »

I've seen him play. There is nothing there that screams starter on a contending team. If anyone is mindfacting, it's those who are saying I have to "watch him play" and "not everything shows up in the stats." Big deal, he hit well against guys who will be in Double A or Triple A by April. He should. That's what his skill level is.

I think Espinosa's best season is an absolute max ceiling from Walters. Only with worse defense and less base running. Espinosa in 2011 or 2012 would be the absolute career season for Walters, and more than likely his OPS would be about 10-20 points lower.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #98: March 20, 2014, 02:40:48 PM »
I've seen him play. There is nothing there that screams starter on a contending team. If anyone is mindfacting, it's those who are saying I have to "watch him play" and "not everything shows up in the stats." Big deal, he hit well against guys who will be in Double A or Triple A by April. He should. That's what his skill level is.

I think Espinosa's best season is an absolute max ceiling from Walters. Only with worse defense and less base running. Espinosa in 2011 or 2012 would be the absolute career season for Walters, and more than likely his OPS would be about 10-20 points lower.

Then agree to disagree.  I think Walters is a starter at 2B.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #99: March 20, 2014, 03:05:58 PM »
And with his return to the minors, we have choice - move this thread to the Farm or move it there and merge it with his FTP.
Keep this thread here in case he gets called up during the season.

*EDIT* Or not.