Author Topic: What do you do for a living?  (Read 5239 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
What do you do for a living?
« Topic Start: July 16, 2005, 01:27:40 PM »
I was looking at site traffic and I noticed we get a good bit more during the weekend than the week.  Makes sense.  Just got me wondering what everyone does when they aren't posting here or at the MLB forums ;)

I'm a computer tech.

Offline mjteggy05

« Reply #1: July 16, 2005, 02:58:20 PM »
Just graduated from JMU in Harrisonburg, and currently looking for a job as a Graphic Designer.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #2: July 16, 2005, 03:03:33 PM »
Most of my work takes place from August until May (hockey season). I'm a translator (French into English) for a junior hockey league. I also work for one of the teams in that same league as webmaster, statistician, hockey secretary, pre-game preparation, game coordinator, computer consultant, as well as act as administrative assistant, I also do some PR work, and some marketing. (the more they can get me to do, the more they save on extra salaries.) I do five times more work for the team than the league, but (thankfully) get paid much more for my work with the league. All in all I do pretty good, and since I love hockey almost as much as baseball, I cant complain...

I'm a hockeybumologist with a PhD (Played half Decent)

Mandy

« Reply #3: July 17, 2005, 10:55:13 PM »
I'm a Massage Therapist.  My goal is to one day be a Therapist for either the NHL or MLB

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #4: July 17, 2005, 11:49:55 PM »
Quote from: "Mandy"
I'm a Massage Therapist.  My goal is to one day be a Therapist for either the NHL or MLB

your boyfriend/husband is a very lucky man  :wink:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #5: July 18, 2005, 12:07:35 AM »

You should take up sports Physiotherapy, it's more in demand in sports that a massage therapist.

Mandy

« Reply #6: July 18, 2005, 12:11:07 AM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"

You should take up sports Physiotherapy, it's more in demand in sports that a massage therapist.

I was thinking of that.  Maybe I will look further into it!   :)

And thank you Chief.  He doesn't get very many massages from me which is a good thing because I don't want to bring my work home but he is supportive!

DelNatsFan

« Reply #7: July 18, 2005, 12:44:59 AM »
I've been laid off from and "uncommonly wise" bank since April 15. They decided to build a call center in Oregon and close the center in Wilmington. They told us about it last June so it was a little easier to take. I applied for Guest Services MGR with ther Nats when they started advertising jobs, but never got a callback. I was seriously looking to relocate to Tampa, but no job prosepcts worth applying for. I'm collecting a severance for one more month and going out on interviews. Freed up my afternoons for posting and taking day trips to RFK. Had a promising interview Friday with UPS but the money's not there.

NatsCaps19

« Reply #8: July 20, 2005, 07:26:37 AM »
keep you chin up man.. I got laid off from my job at a huge telecom company last year. Sucks to have to collect unemployment but it worked out well and I found another good job. Everything will work out for the best I'm sure  8)

tomwaits

« Reply #9: July 25, 2005, 08:04:50 PM »
i am a sheetmetal worker. basically i take sheet metal of various sizes and thicknesses and make gaskets and shims for machines.

i went to college for mutimedia design......have yet to have any luck with it (have had some very promising inerviews).

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #10: July 26, 2005, 10:45:55 PM »
I'm a civil engineer by degree, but I don't do much engineering anymore.  These days I mainly manage engineering contracts with the fed government.

nospinzone1

Re: What do you do for a living?
« Reply #11: June 13, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
I WAIT EVERY FIRST OF THE MONTH for my pension checks....retired in 2001 (they shut down our dept. at the washington compost) then I support about 7 or 8 docs and Target pharmacy with my meds. then I waste a lot of time on the pc (not a waste here, though)

Offline saltydad

« Reply #12: June 14, 2007, 01:16:42 AM »
I'm currently in school for my RN (at the ripe young age of 59). Previously I have been in management-health insurance (BC/BS) for 15 years; self-employed in the marine aquarium business (5+ years); managed a garden center/nursery (5+ years); LPN in neurosurgery (GW Med Ctr); research in psychology, primarily effects of prenatal exposure to drugs and co- or junior author on scientific journal articles (NY State Psych Institute) ; combat medic in the Army. I hate being ultra-specialized. :lol: Educated at U of MD (biology), Columbia University (psychology), currently at Montgomery College (nursing).

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #13: June 14, 2007, 07:44:30 AM »
I suffer from career ADD.

I started out as a CPA, working for KPMG, and later as a CFO for a frequent flyer coupon brokerage while starting up my own software corp.  I wrote and sold a few pieces of software, got nice lump sums, and still am getting royalties.  I used to do freelance work for PC Magazine, and wrote numerous articles for them in the 80's, and still do an occasional piece for the local NBC affiliate and some local business publications.  I figured I could maintain a nice middle-class life style and pretty much retired when I was 27.  I still maintain an office, which has an excellent staff, in my house as I dabble in other projects - usually computer/technology/communications, have started and sold a few other companies here and in The Bahamas, developed and sold more software, collected a few more degrees and certifications, and give the occasional lecture.  I've been relatively active in the open source community, although that's waned a bit in the last year or so.  I am totally absorbed with research and development.  Last fall, I started as an adjunct at Florida Atlantic University.  I'm planning on moving to New Zealand, and I have a couple ideas and b-plans of what I want to do there, but nothing is yet complete.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #14: June 14, 2007, 07:46:05 AM »
I'm going into my third year (I started late) at GMU and majoring in English. I'm nearly finished with my second screenplay and if I get some good offers, I will go into writing full-time. If it doesn't go well, I'll probably transfer into UNC's creative writing program. Right now I sell a variety of things (mostly baseball cards and anything Motorola) on Ebay for a living.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #15: June 14, 2007, 08:33:41 AM »
I'm going into my third year (I started late) at GMU and majoring in English. I'm nearly finished with my second screenplay and if I get some good offers, I will go into writing full-time. If it doesn't go well, I'll probably transfer into UNC's creative writing program. Right now I sell a variety of things (mostly baseball cards and anything Motorola) on Ebay for a living.

If you don't mind, what are the two screenplays about?

« Reply #16: June 14, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »

Ah! Fellow screenwriter.  Good to see!

I too plug away at screenplays and do freelance writing on the side for various publications.  I have also gone back to college at UNCW (University of North Carolina Wilmington) for a second bachelors in Professional Writing (Minor in Creative Writing).  I also work on campus and volunteer with the UNCW Film Club.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #17: June 14, 2007, 09:17:44 AM »
If you don't mind, what are the two screenplays about?

Well, the first script was about two best friends growing up in the suburbs of Virginia. One is your common go-with-the-flow type, while the other has ideas of saving the world from all of the problems that he sees it has. What's different about this script is that it is narrated by the "unusual" character rather than the one that most people would relate to. By forcing the audience to follow and listen to this character, I was attempting to bring more understanding to some kids who may seem troubled, but mostly are just misunderstood. It was written when I was 19. I did get an agent out of it, though.

The second one that I'm working on now is about a man who wants to write the greatest story of all time. He's been working on it since he was 16, but now he is about to turn 80. The story is about the man and his history during the process of his story's creation. My goal is to make his life enticing enough to not lose the audience at ANY point so that the effect of what happens in the end really hits home.

nospinzone1

« Reply #18: June 14, 2007, 09:18:40 AM »

WOW....I graduated from English also but English did not graduate me....

nospinzone1

« Reply #19: June 14, 2007, 09:19:21 AM »
I run my own freelance editorial business. Most of my work these days consists of writing indexes for books and periodicals (my preference) but occasionally I pick up a bit of proofreading work.

tghey could use you at the washington compost.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #20: June 14, 2007, 09:29:01 AM »
Ah! Fellow screenwriter.  Good to see!

I too plug away at screenplays and do freelance writing on the side for various publications.  I have also gone back to college at UNCW (University of North Carolina Wilmington) for a second bachelors in Professional Writing (Minor in Creative Writing).  I also work on campus and volunteer with the UNCW Film Club.

That's awesome! What kind of volunteering do you do? BTW, the school that I'd be going to would be at UNC Chapel Hill. Have you heard of it? I want to go to a vocational school where I could completely focus in on writing and this one has been recommended to me most. I was out of the game for a while and am still quite rusty, so I'm trying to read and write as much as possible to get back to where I was a few years back. You wouldn't even believe my editor's response to my first draft of this new screenplay. It's all coming together now, though.

« Reply #21: June 14, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
That's awesome! What kind of volunteering do you do? BTW, the school that I'd be going to would be at UNC Chapel Hill. Have you heard of it? I want to go to a vocational school where I could completely focus in on writing and this one has been recommended to me most. I was out of the game for a while and am still quite rusty, so I'm trying to read and write as much as possible to get back to where I was a few years back. You wouldn't even believe my editor's response to my first draft of this new screenplay. It's all coming together now, though.

Currently I help out with organizing events, festivals, and activities.  I also contribute scripts, ideas, and have directed a short film that won a member's choice award at a festival in Wilmington, NC.  I am a writer but a film junky at heart.

Wilmington, NC is home to Screen Gems Studios and has all sorts of independent work.  I was on NBC's "Surface" a few times.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #22: June 14, 2007, 10:20:01 AM »
I graduated from George Washington University around this time last year.  I've been very fortunate to get a behind-the-scenes job at a big law firm in Burlington. where I grew up.  One of the partners (of three) is retiring soon, and the other partners have informed me I'm in line for the partnership.  Very exciting time in my career right now!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #23: June 14, 2007, 11:07:51 AM »
Well, the first script was about two best friends growing up in the suburbs of Virginia. One is your common go-with-the-flow type, while the other has ideas of saving the world from all of the problems that he sees it has. What's different about this script is that it is narrated by the "unusual" character rather than the one that most people would relate to. By forcing the audience to follow and listen to this character, I was attempting to bring more understanding to some kids who may seem troubled, but mostly are just misunderstood. It was written when I was 19. I did get an agent out of it, though.

The second one that I'm working on now is about a man who wants to write the greatest story of all time. He's been working on it since he was 16, but now he is about to turn 80. The story is about the man and his history during the process of his story's creation. My goal is to make his life enticing enough to not lose the audience at ANY point so that the effect of what happens in the end really hits home.

I've always wondered where writers get their inspirations.  Do you outline ideas, or do they just flow?  I don't see how fiction writers can keep everything flowing - it amazes me.  There is a creative genius in writing that I truly admire.  I hope these come through for you.  I'd like to see them both.  The first one sound like it is one of those marvels when you buy one book, but get several stories.  Still, it is the second one that sounds especially intriguing to me.

Offline expos96

« Reply #24: June 14, 2007, 11:52:30 AM »
My job is functional consultant for implementing document managing software we create, sell and implement.
It's not a 9 to 5 job, also because of the traffic when we have to go to our customers.